Page 8 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2013, 7:27 am

Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Just for the record, the reason that toilet seats should be kept down, is so that a female who has to pee in a hurry doesn't land on the hard, unforgiving and slippery toilet rim.

Does that actually happen? As a guy, I do have to sit for some toilet activities, but I have never in my life accidentally sat on the rim instead of the seat. I can see why the rim would be unpleasant to sit on, but why would you sit on it, knowing it to be unpleasant?

I have lived alone, or in an all-female household most of my life, so my default state is to pressume the seat is down. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and really have to go, and in that groggy, almost asleep-state at least I don't think clearly, and I just did what I usually do, ie sit down and do my business. For a few months I had a male roommate, who didn't always put down the lid. Guess what happened on those occasions when night-time nature-calls and forgetting-the seat-up coincided? Talk about rude awakening! :lol:

Another funny toilet-story... This happened when my latest cat was still a kitten. He was running down the hallway, up on the toilet seat (lid), up on the sink, then down on the floor and along the hallway again, it was his favorite route. Well, guess what happened the day the lid was not down? :lol:
Baby-cat was immediately bathed for the first time in by house, after taking a dive into the toilet bowl. Not a happy day for him! (But he never jumps onto the toilet anymore.)

@meems
Whenever the person sitting next to me on the bus/train does that, I do the same. I don't care if I bump legs, I find it rude and uncaring to take up more space than the seat and if they (male or female) don't have to adhere to the social rules, why should I? (And I'm the aspie... :roll: )

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2013, 12:23 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Just for the record, the reason that toilet seats should be kept down, is so that a female who has to pee in a hurry doesn't land on the hard, unforgiving and slippery toilet rim.

Does that actually happen? As a guy, I do have to sit for some toilet activities, but I have never in my life accidentally sat on the rim instead of the seat. I can see why the rim would be unpleasant to sit on, but why would you sit on it, knowing it to be unpleasant?

The situation where this happened to me, was the restroom light not working (it was a single stall bathroom in the workplace) so I couldn't see that the seat had been left up.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm

EmberEyes wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

I have lived alone, or in an all-female household most of my life, so my default state is to pressume the seat is down. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and really have to go, and in that groggy, almost asleep-state at least I don't think clearly, and I just did what I usually do, ie sit down and do my business. For a few months I had a male roommate, who didn't always put down the lid. Guess what happened on those occasions when night-time nature-calls and forgetting-the seat-up coincided? Talk about rude awakening! :lol:

Exactly!

EmberEyes wrote:
Another funny toilet-story... This happened when my latest cat was still a kitten. He was running down the hallway, up on the toilet seat (lid), up on the sink, then down on the floor and along the hallway again, it was his favorite route. Well, guess what happened the day the lid was not down? :lol:
Baby-cat was immediately bathed for the first time in by house, after taking a dive into the toilet bowl. Not a happy day for him! (But he never jumps onto the toilet anymore.)

:lol:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:17 pm

what I will never understand about men: why this list is not obvious to many of them: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ne-toaster

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:49 am

LKL wrote:
what I will never understand about men: why this list is not obvious to many of them: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ne-toaster

I like most of this list except for this one and find it offensive.

"7) Do not derive pleasure from your penis with other men."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:51 am

hanyo wrote:
LKL wrote:

I like most of this list except for this one and find it offensive.

"7) Do not derive pleasure from your penis with other men."

I think she was being facetious rather than homophobic. Her point was about how dangerous it is to be gay in many parts of the world.

Jepeusque
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2013, 8:47 am

EmberEyes wrote:
@meems
Whenever the person sitting next to me on the bus/train does that, I do the same. I don't care if I bump legs, I find it rude and uncaring to take up more space than the seat and if they (male or female) don't have to adhere to the social rules, why should I?

Between males, the right answer would be, "Because he can beat you up". Either put up or challenge him by mimicking his rude behavior, so the ensuing fight determines who can, in fact, beat up whom, and thus who has the natural right to bully whom. Might is right.

When there are females involved, might is still right, but it gets a lot more complicated. Under normal circumstances, beating you would be considered dishonorable by almost everybody, and that'd earn him the wrath of many other males, so he has to watch out. On the other hand, the female is usually the one interested in avoiding physical contact. If you behave just like him and press your legs against his, you'll probably give him some pleasure. Besides, he and anybody watching might interpret it as you being attracted to his badassery, and also brand you with the well-known four-letter word women usually get for being overtly sexual.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 8:57 am

LKL wrote:
what I will never understand about men: why this list is not obvious to many of them:...........

I'm only guilty of three on that list, I hope that's a good score?

I'm all for toilet seat equality, if I take the effort to lift it up to avoid over-spray, it's only fair my partner puts it down when she needs it. As for the lid there is no reason for it to be down unless I need to stand on top to avoid the serial killer looking under the cubicle door.

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 11:59 am

Jepeusque wrote:
EmberEyes wrote:
@meems
Whenever the person sitting next to me on the bus/train does that, I do the same. I don't care if I bump legs, I find it rude and uncaring to take up more space than the seat and if they (male or female) don't have to adhere to the social rules, why should I?

Between males, the right answer would be, "Because he can beat you up". Either put up or challenge him by mimicking his rude behavior, so the ensuing fight determines who can, in fact, beat up whom, and thus who has the natural right to bully whom. Might is right.

When there are females involved, might is still right, but it gets a lot more complicated. Under normal circumstances, beating you would be considered dishonorable by almost everybody, and that'd earn him the wrath of many other males, so he has to watch out. On the other hand, the female is usually the one interested in avoiding physical contact. If you behave just like him and press your legs against his, you'll probably give him some pleasure. Besides, he and anybody watching might interpret it as you being attracted to his badassery, and also brand you with the well-known four-letter word women usually get for being overtly sexual.

That might be true in some parts of the world, but not as far as I have experienced in my world. Men generally get quite embarressed when a woman immitates their posture and self-importance.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 1:04 am

Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

Oh hell yes it happens.

Wake in the middle of the night. Mostly still sleep. Walk / bump my way to the toilet. Sit down and totally forget to check first because I need to go badly.
One time I actually did fall in because of that. :lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

It happened to me once when I was six. I jumped up in shock over the feeling of the cold porcelain against my skin. I badly needed to go though, so I couldn't stop some drops of urine from spilling. I have always made sure after that.
It happened because I didn't look to see if the seat was down; it never occurred to me that it might not be. It hadn't happened before. I was used to simply sitting down there without looking. It was purely accidental. I don't think anyone would knowingly sit down on the rim.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2013, 2:08 pm

Kjas wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

Oh hell yes it happens.

Wake in the middle of the night. Mostly still sleep. Walk / bump my way to the toilet. Sit down and totally forget to check first because I need to go badly.
One time I actually did fall in because of that. :lol:

Ouch! :lol:

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 5:12 am

Aspinator wrote:
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about peeing sitting down or standing up. I have lived by myself for many, many years and have never stood up in my house. My feelings that most men when they were boys had their Moms to wipe up their splatters and when they grew up had their girlfriends/wives wipe up their splatters. Also I want to close with a sexist joke; A man and a woman were feeling amourous and the woman said to the man "make me feel like a woman". The man said "OK, I've got 2 loads of clothes that need washed and while you are up would you please fix me a sandwich"

>:[ My husband does that and I march him in the bathroom to wipe up his own pee. His 33 year old brother does that crap, too. Ugh. I thought your joke was funny, though.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtUSO6BcyrI[/youtube]

This one reminded me of this thread :lol:

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

^ hahaha Barney..

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2013, 1:20 pm

Why men in relationships feel the need to bi*ch about their girlfriends/wives when in the company of 'the lads'?

Putting them down, saying they're fat/ugly, a nagger etc.......generally giving the impression they'd really rather not be with that person.......and yet they aren't exactly Adonis' themselves. Also, almost comparing how bad they've got it with their "Missus".

This is a generalisation of course, but it's something I hear often at my office: a male dominant environment with many loud individuals......they'd probably put it down as banter, but I wonder how much truth there is to it, or is it a reflection of a perpetual peter pan syndrome in men (batchelors forever!)?