Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm

beneficii wrote:
droppy wrote:
I don't think make-up makes people look better. I mean, if one's ugly, it's not like she puts on make-up and becomes some kind of Goddess of Beauty :lol: But I might be wrong. I'm not an expert in make-up after all. The only make-up I've ever put on was lip gloss and a little eyeliner, since they're the only things I can put on without feeling much itch. I was told I actually look the age I am when I put eyeliner on, but I do not agree. I think I always look like a 16-year-old and that most girls my age look older because they put a lot of make-up on, and therefore I look younger to people's eyes. Also, when you're my age looking older or younger is easy: you put make-up on, you look older; you don't, you look younger.
People have also told me I look better when I put on eyeliner, but I think this is bulls**t. I always look the same to me.
I hardly ever put make-up on. Too much of a drag :lol:

And since I'd look pretty much like a man, anyway, there wouldn't be a point. Thanks for the perspective.

You look like a woman to me. Your face looks feminine because of the hormones in your body. You would look like a woman with or without makeup. With makeup on you would look like a woman with makeup on: not more or less of a woman. Makeup is gender-neutral to me, even if men don't wear it that much. Wear it if you think it looks good.

cubeyz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2014, 6:15 pm

Don't over do it, be subtle... a bit of foundation and mascara is all I do most days. You don't have to go crazy, although you can experiment sometimes if you're going to a special occasion or something.

I have started to be more confident about not wearing make up though, it's not always a must have... but I do think it's nice and I just like it.

beneficii wrote:
And since I'd look pretty much like a man, anyway, there wouldn't be a point. Thanks for the perspective.

When looking at your self it's easier to see the 'masculine' side because that's what we've grown up with. Other people aren't always looking for it so they don't tend to notice it so much. It's good to not worry so much about passing and asking others if you pass... I used to be very much like that.. and I think it held me back and awful lot, in the end I finally made a push, which was hard.. very hard, but in the end it's worked out as one of the best things I ever did.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2014, 11:59 pm

Youtube videos have helped me alot in this area. My favourite channels are:
Emily Noel 83
Vintage or Tacky

Falcor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

I totally get where you're coming from this. Make-up and the art of applying it has always been a total mystery to me. I grew up a tomboy so was never did the dressing-up girly phase and my mum did't wear much make-up so had noone around to show me either. As I got into my late teens I did put on a bit of brown eye-shadow, mascara and eye liner but that was it. I hated the feel of lipstick on my lips and I hate the feel of foundation on my skin. I get hot very easily and can't stand the feel of anything 'slipping' of my skin.

I rarely wear make-up these days as I find the whole process totally confusing. I hate going into the beauty part of the stores as the bright lights and perfume smells completely overwhelm me. There are just so many product and choices that I just don't know where to start. I've watched YouTube clips but even they don't help. The only option I feel is open to me would be to go to a one-on-one tutorial so someone can tell me what type of products to buy. I would likely then not stray from those recommendations. I also go out of my way to avoid situations where I am more expected to wear make-up and I could never work in a corporate-type company where women are expected to be polished.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 11:15 pm

Personally I don't use much and only very rarely. less is more. I can't stand the feel of oily foundation and such on my skin, and since I don't use foundation I don't need blush, my cheeks are naturally pink. I use powder eye shadow and lipstick. Occasionally I use mascara and a dot of concealer if I have a blemish. That's it. Easy, lipstick on lips, pale or neutral powder on upper lids.

If you try to look like an Avon model you'll end up looking like a clown.

blacklashes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2014, 8:01 pm

I watch a lot of youtube tutorials too, I never learn anything new from them but It's good for seeing what products are actually like. Wayne Goss is really good, his reviews are really honest, his techniques are perfect and he is a joy to watch, and also a very good teacher.

I look too young without makeup,not exactly masculine but a bit too runty for my own liking. I really like the ritual of doing my make up. All the different looks I can create is just endless fun. I really enjoy the creativity of it and how much it improves my self esteem. Decent products are amazing, I'd even go as far as to say they are life changing but I'm a vain git :)
I couldn't wear just foundation and mascara, I think skin looks strange if its all one uniform colour, and to me mascara and no eye liner is like wearing a bra and no knickers, I just couldn't do that.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

I hardly ever use makeup, as in the makeup I bought for my grade 8 graduation was still lying around last year and I figured I should throw it out because it was way passed expired, apparently makeup has about a 3 year lifespan. I was told too I needed to wear makeup to take care of myself. So I went to the store with another women my age and she told me what to buy so I did. ( did not like the bill afterwards though, makeup is expensive). Anyways so then the trick was to put it on. The last time someone tried to do/ get me to eye makeup they gave up because I blinked to much. ( Probably a sensory thing that I think of it.) But anyways she helped me after an hour I managed to get on basic foundation, eye liner, mascara, eye shadow and lib bulm.... only to get done and realize I forgot to buy blush but I didn't even think of that. She showed me how to use eyelash curlers. I was getting so frustrated and she was like calm down relax but that wasn't helping, I was heading towards a melt down. The next day I tried to do it by myself and managed to get it somewhat done up less stressful because doing it myself but still got downstairs only to realize that it wasn't done properly but I didn't care because I'm like that just took me 30 minutes to put on I am not reduing it. I think I tried one time after that and haven't since, and I am 26 years old.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:49 am

beneficii wrote:
I'm told I need to wear makeup to look better; only problem is I have no idea how to wear it and the whole process looks very confusing, often leaving me feeling very agitated and on the verge of meltdown.

No one seems willing to teach me, as I know I can be a very frustrating student.

They have classes at the department stores for certain makeup lines. I know MAC has a makeup class. But, if you do not want to spend the money there are TONS of videos on youtube showing how to put on makeup for different looks, occasions, ethnicities, etc. and the instructions can be as simple or as complicated as you are willing to invest in.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2014, 10:32 pm

Many women who don't wear make up that often make the mistake of applying far too much of it when they do. Being subtle is always best when it comes to make . It shouldn't be too noticable and heavy.

I don't think anyone should feel obliged to wear make up though. It is perfectly fine skip that aspect of womanhood alltogether if you don't like it.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

OK, so two ideas:

1. There are books on modelling and books on makeup specifically. Every women's magazine I've ever seen has had a section devoted to the subject. That would be one place to look. The magazines even tell you exact brands and colors (of lipstick, eyeshadow, etc.) to achieve the displayed/desired effect. They also give step by step instructions with pictures for anything that involves a multi-step application process.

2. There are sheets for doing stage makeup. If you decide to have one of the salesladies at the mall do your makeup, I would advise bringing one of those with you and asking them to fill it out. The sheets are set up as very common sense. If you use one of those, you won't have to remember everything. It will all be on the sheet.

Final notes:
If you aren't used to wearing makeup at all/just want a basic procedure you can follow that will enhance anything, stick to neutrals. Brown shade(s) of eyeshadow on your lids, a lipstick that's a few shades brighter/darker than your natural lips. A good old trick with lipstick is to streak a bit on the palm side of your wrist, rub it in, and see if it blends. If it does, that color will likely work on you. Line (lips and eyes) only if you need it. If you line/use eyeshadow, you'll need mascara. Pick a shade that isn't too far off from your hair/brow color.

When Christmas season approaches, and you plan to buy perfume for your mom/sister/best friend anyway, find out when you can do so and get a gift pack for yourself. Then ask for help picking out which pack will work best with your coloring, if you don't already know.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm

Just read the word perfume, gosh hate perfume with a passion, very sensitive to the smell it gives me a headache. I hate it when someone is sitting near me with lot s of perfume on I get a headache and want to leave because it is overwhelming. Would never wear perfume myself for that reason. I'm ok with some smells like say in lotions, but to much smell bothers me.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2014, 8:49 pm

I rarely ever wear makeup and what's frustrating is that a lot of people tell me I should wear it because it'll make me look prettier and more mature, as if that doesn't already lower my self-esteem!! Also, for our chorus shows, we have to wear a lot of makeup and that gets me upset because I don't feel like myself and I can't even do it right.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:39 pm

Foundation and lipstick are the only things I can really do properly with makeup. As far as eye makeup goes I usually just put some colour on my lids and that's about it. I can't do eyeliner and mascara properly. For one my lids are getting too wrinkly (with age I assume) to put eyeliner on neatly, and the gap of lid between my eye and lashline is wide and it looks silly with a fleshly coloured halo around my eyes then eyeliner around that. I can't put eyeliner inside my lashline as my eyes are too sensitive as it is. Whenever I try mascara it always ends up smudging onto my under eye. I know you're only supposed to do one coat but it still does it. I even tried some fake lashes and they were so annoying. Skill in application is only half my problem, I think my eyes are also difficult by design.

I watch in envy at all the girls on YouTube who appear to just slap it on their lids like they're buttering a bit of bread and have it all perfect, within the lines, and even manage to get both eyes symmetrical.

rebecca1220
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2014, 4:03 am

I wear a bit, usually some lipstick foundation mascara and sometimes eyeshadow. I could never master putting eyeliner on although I'm told I would look better with it. My mum helped me when I was younger and wanted to wear makeup. I think you should only wear it if you want to.

Xx

thymps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2014, 4:37 pm

Only do it if you want to, but if you do:

I didn't wear any makeup till a year ago (when I was 17), so I still don't really know how to do the proper stuff, but I find you can literally just slap on some mascara (there are lots of how to videos on youtube), and lipgloss/lipstick and it can instantly make you feel fresher/more 'cleaned up'. As for the effort thing- I get you, I struggle to do a lot of up-keep things, but find when they literally take seconds to do it comes a little easier!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:29 pm

You'll definately pass better with makeup, nails and hair. I know it can be a pain in the ass to do though. What I do when I try a new style, which I always find on YouTube is I bring my mirror in here and set it and the makeup on the computer desk. I watch a little, pause, and then do what they did. Then I restart and do the next section.

Each item has a purpose. Foundation gives you a smooth and even skin tone and makes you look "polished". Powder sets the foundation and prevents your face from being shiny. Blush adds color but it's also used for contouring, which might be important to you because of male facial structure. The shape, thickness and color of eyebrows can do a whole lot to change the look of your face. Plucking, brushing, and filling in work wonders. Eyeshadow not only adds some color but it can contour and change the shape of your eyes, bring out deep set eyes, downplay popping eyes, etc. Eyeliner helps to change the shape of the eyes and also to downplay sagging corners. Mascara shows off lashes and gives a feminine appeal. Lip liner prevents lipstick from seeping outside the lines, and lipstick can change the entire mood of your face.

Look on YouTube for makeup tutorials and you'll find tons of helpful information. Most of them are by women for women but some are by men for women. The only one's I've seen by men for med are drag queen channels and you do not want that because they are always over the top in those videos, they show stage makeup, not day to day "how to pass" makeup.

Nails are easy. If you want them short then clip and file them and paint them a light color. If you want them longer, I use full coverage Kiss brand glue on nails.

Hair is a different story. You need to find a stylist who can give you something simple and easy to keep up, but feminine.

I love hair, makeup and nails. Feel free to PM me anytime and I'll give you tips or send you to some good YouTube channels. Also, do you have a FB? We could friend each other there too.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com