Is this a face you'd want to see in the women's restroom?

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you want this person in the women's restroom or any sort of women's space?
Yes 74%  74%  [ 46 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 62

Dynania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2013, 5:36 pm

starkid wrote:
Dynania wrote:
I'm a big proponent for co-ed bathrooms. They do it in France, and nobody gets sexually assaulted there.

Compared to other places in the world, France consists of a peaceful society, so it is hardly relevant to the issue of co-ed bathrooms overall.

They have many of the same issues that other countries have, so it is relevant. France is not the only country that has co-ed bathrooms though.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 7:52 pm

I'd think there's be more of a chance of trouble with a M-F transgender in a mens room.

Diagnosed in 2005

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 9:25 pm

pete1061 wrote:
I'd think there's be more of a chance of trouble with a M-F transgender in a mens room.

There's actually little to no evidence of that.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:10 pm

In some small venues there won't be enough room for more than one unisex toilet and one disabled toilet (which is also unisex).

The only real problem I have with this is that there are some people who sit down to have a dump or pee and don't bother to lock the door first, and it's more than just a bit awkward if I walk in on them (or start to, and then they leap up and shove the door closed in my face rudely, quite possibly while streaking poo across the toilet seat and floor).
It's not even like it's difficult or complicated to lock a door, you know ? I learned how to do that when I was like, 4 years old.

I'd far rather that people like that had their own toilet to go in where they can startle each other to their heart's content, and sh*t everywhere while leaping around... but I wouldn't have a problem with a person who can lock a door like a normal person and looks like the person in the picture being in a womens' bathroom.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 7:33 pm

beneficii wrote:
Dynania wrote:
I'm a big proponent for co-ed bathrooms. They do it in France, and nobody gets sexually assaulted there. It wouldn't bother me to find a man in the same restroom as me, and I have used a men's restroom.

I think most women would disagree with there being a man, like the obvious man depicted in the OP, in the women's restroom.

You look like a woman in the picture I wouldn't even be able to tell you were actually a guy. I assume female is the gender you feel like you are.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 7:59 pm

They let my face in there, so why not?

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:30 am

Wrong place to ask. Many of us avoid looking at other people for the dreaded "eye contact". I'd never have noticed anything. I myself have walked into men's room multiple times and not notice anything until I'm washing my hands and saw the urinals.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:52 am

Actually, when meeting this person on the street, I would think of it as a feminine looking man, but when I met the person i a ladies room, I´d simply think of her being a bit masculine looking female, because otherwise I wouldnt expect her/him to be in the female restrooms. ^^

So I´d say that this person, does look a bit masculine for a woman, but because of her being in the woman restrooms, I´d think that she actually was a woman. ^^

But I cant tell, how much you can compare different cultures. Around here you normally have separated and closed stalls for the toilettes. So the washing room of the female toilette is not that of an sanctuary, because actually you have most often the "pampers change" desk in the woman washing room, so fathers that are with their kids need to go there as well. Just as more prude dads with little girls (that still need some assistance in butt-wiping or opening/closing cloths) mostly go with them to the woman toilette, because of them avoiding to go with the little girls through the man washing room, where the pissoirs are, and where the little girl could see some "male-facts". ^^ As well that the stalls are normally to small for two person in it, so when they do assist in but whiping or pulling cloths on or off, then normally the stall door is a open, and I think they dont want other men to see their half naked girl-butts. ^^

So as long as you dont stand creepy luring in a corner, with a knife behind your back, I think people would not be whondering that much. As well that at least for "openly" transgender people it is accepted to use the toilette of the gender, they feel towards themselve, if this can be related by optic. So even if it was fully recognizable by silhouette, ... that you were a men, if you are dressed as woman, so that people recognize that you feel yourself as woman, its for most people around here no issue.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2013, 11:24 am

I think you look androgynous. At first glance, you look more towards the feminine side. Upon closer inspection, you look more towards the masculine side. Either way, it wouldn't matter to me whether or not you are using the same restroom as I am. The gender you feel is more important than the genitalia you were born with. Sort of unrelated because you specifically asked about segregated restrooms, but I think restrooms should be unisex anyway.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2013, 11:26 am

beneficii wrote:
I don't think the votes on this poll are very honest.

Also wanted to mention that this is probably a false thought...the vaulted Aspie honesty factor. ;)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 5:26 pm

pete1061 wrote:

I think so too. I think men would be more likely to have a negative or violent response to someone they thought didn't belong in the restroom and be more homophobic. Women would be more likely to give disapproving glares or call security if they though someone was in there that didn't belong. I could be wrong.

My mother sometimes gets called "sir" (probably for being small busted, having short hair, and not wearing make-up or dressing girly) and no one ever complained about her using the women's restroom.

I think trans people should be free to use the bathroom of the gender they identify as and present as.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 7:45 pm

Thanks, all. I feel much better. :D

Concept
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2013, 11:42 pm

beneficii wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:
I've seen much more masculine features in women's bathrooms. You would pass.

My HR rep tells me it would be best to avoid the women's restroom, so clearly I don't.

Like other people say, you'd likely pass.

Using the correct bathroom is a huge anxiety issue for me. I've had issues once going in, but I've also had issues going into guys toilets. I can't f*****g win. Unless there are disabled (I have cerebral palsy) or gender neutral toilets, then I often try and hold it in.

Frisco
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2013, 2:03 am

starkid wrote:
Dynania wrote:
I'm a big proponent for co-ed bathrooms. They do it in France, and nobody gets sexually assaulted there.

Compared to other places in the world, France consists of a peaceful society, so it is hardly relevant to the issue of co-ed bathrooms overall.
Depends on the point of comparison. If comparing French LGBT issues to US LGBT issues, there is nothing to suggest France has a more peaceful society. The gay marriage debate got pretty heated in France, and IIRC there was some violent rioting and beat downs. AFAIK, it was more violent than any LGBT legal campaign in the recent history of the US (assaults are not uncommon, but I know of no anti-gay riots), and that's from a Francophile.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:18 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with you if I saw you in a women's restroom. I probably wouldn't even notice anything odd about you at all. You actually look quite a bit like an old friend of mine, so I think you look nice/friendly.

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
The only real problem I have with this is that there are some people who sit down to have a dump or pee and don't bother to lock the door first, and it's more than just a bit awkward if I walk in on them (or start to, and then they leap up and shove the door closed in my face rudely, quite possibly while streaking poo across the toilet seat and floor).
It's not even like it's difficult or complicated to lock a door, you know ? I learned how to do that when I was like, 4 years old.

I'd far rather that people like that had their own toilet to go in where they can startle each other to their heart's content, and sh*t everywhere while leaping around... but I wouldn't have a problem with a person who can lock a door like a normal person and looks like the person in the picture being in a womens' bathroom.

I don't think most (any?) people intentionally leave the door unlocked when that happens. On a few occasions, I've locked the door and had it swing back open because the latch is broken or isn't long enough (or it wasn't actually locked even though it clicked and seemed to lock). It's very embarrassing and upsetting when someone walks in, and definitely not intentional in any way.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 3:44 pm

I probably wouldn't notice you.

But if you're talking to your HR rep about this, I presume it's because you began transitioning at work - and that could make some people uncomfortable? I dunno?