Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Briar.Rose
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

hilaryy_renee_ wrote:
I have one main collection: movie tickets. I absolutely love collecting movie tickets. Believe it or not, I have ones from many years ago (ex. 2009). Every time I see a new movie in the theater, I try to always keep the ticket, so I can later add it to my collection. :roll:

Interesting collection :D

Briar.Rose
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2015, 5:48 pm

I collect bears, as in the collectable type. I have about 50-60. I also collect coins, historic ones or modern ones that are just interesting to me :)
I use to collect rocks as a child.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm

Music, above and beyond everything else. I have tons of vinyl, Cd and digital music, been collecting since I was a child. Also books - I have a hard time getting rid of a book, even if I didn't like it and I would never destroy one, out of respect for the human thought and knowledge it represents. I also collect movies and am in the process of replacing a huge collection of Dvds with Blu Ray discs.

As a 20something, I used to collect a lot of unicorn bric-a-brac, until suddenly it became chic and I lost interest, not wanting to be involved in something common. Went through a period of obsession with collecting action figures for a few years, but I'm over it now. I do still collect Batman and Superman memorabilia and Betty Boop items, if they're unique enough. And radios, antique radios.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 4:28 pm

For me that would be my little pony toys, and old books, I am very fond of both.

4hoofbeat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

i collect Breyer horses. And books. I have boxes of books in my closet waiting for a new bookshelf. :D

Not.Bad.For.A.Human
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm

Some very cool collections listed on here!
I've had so many that have fallen by the wayside or I got rid of them because I thought they were childish, or more accurately I thought that other people would think they were childish...

I also used to collect movie tickets, I had a scrapbook that I stuck them in.

For the past 10 years or so my main collection has been beads. I have tens of thousand of them, I use them to make jewellery which I sell but mostly I just like having them and some I have no plans to ever make anything because they are too pretty to part with!
Besides beads and most craft products in general, I would say the main ones are rocks/gems/minerals, coffee mugs and STATIONERY. I have loved all kinds of stationery for as long as I can remember, I have paper & envelope sets from the early 80s. I want ALL the pens and stickers and notepads and washi tape and novelty erasers.

Aaand handbags, particularly Betsey Johnson ones, Converse and Vans sneakers, clothes in general, jewellery that I will never wear but like to look at, kitschy religious items, Funko pop figures, comforter sets (with pillowcases), hair and bath products, anything unicorn or dinosaur or outer space related and anything that is glittery and/or rainbow coloured.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 8:30 pm

I collect faery ornaments
and T shirts with fairy print as well as other fantasy art.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:03 am

I used to collect anything and everything when I was a kid and my floor was covered in different lines and categories. I'd go insane if anyone moved anything, like you know, to clean 8O So my parents (understandably) got pretty pissed off about this, so they limited the number I could have out at a time and had me put it in boxes. Worked for me, got to resort every single day :D That's... all I did. I never played, just sat there sorting. My life has a bit more... variety to it now.

Marbles, tech decks, dog plushies, cars, acorns, stones - to name just a few, believe me, it was insane how obsessed I was with collecting. And hell was I protective of them.

It's been toned down a lot over the years but still find myself unknowingly collecting and categorising things. Like loom bands, I have them all in a box sorted into sections by color. I didn't even realize I was doing this until my mum found it hilarious.

I don't even intend on doing it. I unknowingly just sort and collect and only become aware of it later.

LadyLuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2015, 11:09 am

I am trying to get more into collecting. It may be more accurate to say, I am trying not to hold myself back from my natural collecting impulses. My brain seems to have a switch with “do not buy any” and “lets collect this” as its settings. It is hard to buy just one of something. I like to get at least three.

My father is a collector. Unfortunately he collected to the point where our family had financial problems. So I am worried that if I let myself go I will be like that. But I really do not think that it an issue. I have a hobby budget. (My husband has one too.) As long as I stay within that I am good.

But fear is not always rational.

Sorry to get so serious on a light hearted thread.

So back to some fun stuff:

I collect dice. I have not counted them, but I have a lot. I think maybe about 20 of the d20 sets, two of the big d6 cubes and some extra d20s and d6s. I have not gotten any for a while. But next week I am going to Origins and I plan to pick up a few there. I apologize to any non-gamers who are confused by this paragraph.

I also collect sewing buttons. I have them sorted out by color. I have some new buttons, but most of them are old. Collecting buttons used to be a common thing for people my Grandmother’s generation. Awhile back on EBay, people would sell collection of buttons from a relative who passed on. (I think this is less common now.) So I picked up some big collections then. Altogether I think I have a few pounds of buttons. I have not collected any recently, but I may take it up again. The current big thing on EBay is sets of hand painted wooden buttons from China at really low prices. It is very tempting. Sometimes I will use the buttons in craft projects, but I buy more than I use.

I used to collect the other type of buttons too, but the kind I collected became less common. I like little buttons with pictures of fantasy art. They used to be a common thing for sale at SF and game conventions. They were generally only $1. So I was able to build up a collection without spending much money. At cons now some people have cut up pictures from geeky films and shows and made them into buttons. But this is not really what I am looking for.

Postcards are another thing I used to collect. But hardly anyone sends postcards anymore, so they are not very common.

I have started a new collection this month. I read the “would you like to be a monk?” thread. I thought some aspects, like the chanting and prayer beads, really appealed to me. I decided to get some Buddhist style prayer beads to use as meditation aid. I looked on EBay and found some from China that were super cheap. I could get several for the price I was prepared to spend on one. And then I guess the collecting switch just got turned on. I think I have twelve so far with some more in my watched items. But I think I have only spent about $40 total because they are so cheap. The most expensive were less than $8 including shipping. And I got some for less than $1.

peapod671
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2015, 9:08 am

LadyLuna wrote:
I am trying to get more into collecting. It may be more accurate to say, I am trying not to hold myself back from my natural collecting impulses. My brain seems to have a switch with “do not buy any” and “lets collect this” as its settings.

I can relate to this.

I am currently collecting vintage childrens card games - Pepys series, Old Maid, Donkey, Snap etc. I particularly like 1950's ones as the artwork has such an innocent charm to it.

I also collect playing cards with non standard courts.

I used to collect Rupert annuals and I think I am on the verge of revisting it :lol:

WednesdayWoe1
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2015, 10:24 pm

New here and just looking through some threads. I definitely have some collections. My biggest collection is dolls (more specifically Barbies, all eras, Tammy dolls, Blythe dolls as well as various other dolls that catch my eye), I also collect vintage cameras, ceramic cats, My Little Pony, vintage books and I guess DVDs but I think most people have a collection of those.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 10:41 pm

i collect mechanical music boxes and geodes.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 5:05 am

My collections are pretty random and change frequently. I can go from collecting backpacks to collecting electronics. It feels like there is no way to prevent myself from doing it, either. I just wish that I would at least become obsessed with things that are cheaper.

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2015, 7:06 pm

yes!! ! i LOVE collecting. i have about 150 littlest pet shops, i collect thomas the train stuff, hello kitty stuff, disney VHS, books, funny little odds and ends that i find in thrift stores or on the street, i also collect dollhouse miniatures and sometimes make my own, oh and beanie babies. i used to have a pez collection but i gave it away to a friend who was sad.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 7:42 am

I collect butterfly, moth, and caterpillar postage stamps, all kinds of postcards, and rocks and minerals.

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2015, 12:05 am

I collect pieces of metal. Some of my favorites are an old railroad spike, a rod of tungsten, and a 4 oz. ball of Michigan copper. Ordinarily part of the fun is finding or occasionally being given these things, but I paid for the copper ball. I had to have that.

And I collect perfumes, mostly 1 mL samples, but when I run across something really extraordinary, I might buy a bottle. Part of the fun of that is mentally dissecting the various notes (ingredients) of the perfumes, and part is the incredibly detailed spreadsheet of over 600 individual scents that I maintain.

Do books count as a collection? Books are life itself.