Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 6:08 pm

I'm going to the mall soon to get some new clothes. People want me to try on smaller sizes than I usually wear. Before I had breast reduction I was wearing a 2x or a 3x in tops. I have been told that my clothes are too baggy. My clothes don't feel baggy. Not only did I get reduced from a EE or EEE (I forgot what I took in bra) to a C cup, I've lost five inches off of my waist. My waist went from 46" to 41". My chest went from 52" to 44".

I'm starting to wonder if the reason why I still feel like I'm massive is because apparently my clothes are too big according to other people. My body image has been severely damaged because I've been criticized for how I look by a lot of people. I don't know if there's any going back to repair it. My mom says that I'm obsessed with clothes sizing. I constantly read size charts. I hope that I don't have Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I've been told by people that they wish that I see what they see. When I look in the mirror, I don't see somebody who has lost inches off their waist and chest. I see a 2x or 3x in top.

CalicoCat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2015, 8:26 pm

Wear clothes that fit, every brand is different to crazy extents! In some brands I'm a m/l, in others I'm and xxl, it doesn't make sense. For the point of shopping, bring a tape measure and try on clothes that are you sized. Ignore the numbers

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

CalicoCat is right--sizes are all over the map!

I always measure anything before I buy it--or even bother trying it on.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 2:06 am

I think it's normal to still feel "massive". It's very common among people who have lost a of weight and/or lost it quickly. You've thought of yourself in a certain way for so long that it takes a while for your brain to fully catch up. I think getting new clothes is a good way to help your new size "sink in". My bust measurement is about the same as yours and I typically wear an L or XL.

As for self-esteem and your suspicions about BDD, a counselor is probably your best bet.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 2:30 am

Women's clothing sizing is pretty well meaningless.
I've seen size 14s that were smaller than size 8s.
I've seen two shirts from the same company where the medium was larger than the large.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

According to my closet, I'm a size 0-6. Those are all clothes that fit me, and I haven't lost or gained any significant weight. That's crazy. And that's women's sizing.

Baggy clothes can make a woman look bigger and badly shaped, just like too-tight clothes can. One solution for you would be to order from a vendor who provides a sizing chart, like LL Bean or Land's End or something.

As for building your self esteem back up, if I could figure out a way to build up a woman's self esteem after she's had a bunch of people try to break her down, I'm sure I'd win some sort of international honor and a whole lot of money. All I can think of is this: clip ever size tag in every shirt you own. Better yet, have someone do it for you. You don't need to look at the size when you're dressing yourself every day. You just need to look at how it fits you, whether it looks good with whatever you intend to wear with it, and whether the outfit is appropriate for its intended purpose.

Don't focus on your clothing size at all- women's clothes are sized by monkeys at a zoo with a board full of buttons to choose from, not by any actual system, and certainly not by any numeric system. Instead focus on what you've gained- can you run or swim farther, hold that pose longer, climb that mountain higher, do more situps or more pushups, or lift a heavier weight than you could before? That's progress. That's measurable. Those numbers actually do have meaning.

What is your goal? Have you always wanted to run a 5K and win it? Do you just want to do a fun run like a Turkey Trot or a Mud Run? Do you want to climb to the peak of every mountain in the world? Do you want to do Scotland's TGO Challenge? Or maybe the G2G Ultra?

As a woman, you may never know your actual size, if such a thing exists, but you can figure out how fast you ran that mile or made it to the top. You can figure out how close you are to running and winning that 5K.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 3:06 am

I'm a pear shape and finding clothes that fit around my chest and waist aren't super hard. It's when people claim that I'm smaller than I actually am.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 5:12 pm

As the other posters have said, marked sizes are all over the place. Ignore the size number when trying and buying.
If it fits and you like it, buy it. Who cares what size is marked on it. I sometimes buy stuff at Walmart, but last year I also ordered stuff from another company's catalog. I looked very carefully at the pix and noticed how thin the models were, and observed how the clothes looked on them fit-wise. It looked like they run smaller than Walmart's plus sized clothes, so I ordered a size larger for everything I bought. I was right, but because I had studied the catalogs so carefully I got the right size the first time, without having to send things back.

I have been very over weight for decades. About 9 years ago I gained another 60 pounds after cancer surgery, and wasn't able to lose it. Several weeks ago, I started what I call the "PC Diet." I use the computer to keep me distracted through the hunger pains and hold off eating as long as I can. I've got to the point where I eat less than once a day. I hate, but I've lost weight. I still have some of the smaller plus sized clothes from before my cancer surgery weight gain, so I will be able to hold off buying a lot of clothes for a while. Also, my current slacks have draw strings, which will help until I can fit into those older clothes. I need new bras, but I am holding off until I lose more weight. I am over sized for the old bras anyway. I will finally be able to fit them better, but they are worn out with trying to contain my over sized figure for so many years, so I will eventually need to replace them.

I feel terrible all the time because of the hunger pangs, but at least I am losing weight. Everything is still flabby, but now it all looks somewhat deflated, like a tire going flat--not kidding--and my clothes are all loose now. Even the toughest areas, my thighs and butt are less fat now!

Once my snow bird relatives return in the spring I will stop the diet until next fall. Having them dropping in frequently, and calling from nearby a lot is stressful. Dieting is also stressful. I can handle one or the other, but not both at the same time. Remember, people on the spectrum don't handle stress well. I am no exception.

I might gain some of the weight back over the warm months, but I am unlikely to gain it all back in that period of time, as I am not a constant pigger outer. If I just eat my normal way I won't do too badly.

The discomfort of dieting is driving me a little nuts, but at least it's in a worthy cause, and I have already lost quite a bit. Victory is still over the horizon, but at least now I can see the horizon.

I'll have to buy just a few clothes at a time, as I gradually go down in size, until I finally get to the right size range. Because I am obese I have a long way to go, but it's great seeing how deflated my flabby areas already are. And, I'll have fun when I can finally buy nice new, normal sized clothes. :D With the help of my "PC Diet" I think I can finally do this :!:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 12:00 pm

Clothes used to be my passion in life. Every little thing I wear, even if it's a size up clings to my f*****g stomach. Sometimes I wonder if I deserve to be a woman. I have a 3x dress (which is technically not my size) and it clings to my stomach.

I'm f*****g done with fashion. It's ruining my life. I need to be a stereotypical girly-girl. Video games and manga are cool and all, but I want to please men so bad.

Either that or I can order a 4x in everything women's related, but then people b***h about my clothes being too big while a 3x is also too big. I feel like I'm f*****g suffocating in a 3x!

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 8:07 pm

Ah, you're at one of those annoying in-between sizes too. I feel your pain.
Can you sew, or do you know anyone who can? You might be able to get a 4X taken in to make it a better fit.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 8:19 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Ah, you're at one of those annoying in-between sizes too. I feel your pain.
Can you sew, or do you know anyone who can? You might be able to get a 4X taken in to make it a better fit.

It's very difficult. My bust measurement says that I'm an XL yet my waist and hip measurements say that I'm a 3x or a 4x. I have a rough time losing weight in my stomach while my bust stays consistent and my hips are the only thing that actually lose in inches.

Sadly, I can't go the mall very often. So the "just try it on" isn't an option for me.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 8:33 pm

Fat loss is a strange thing. I've been losing weight, and for a while I could only find pants that fit either my stomach or my legs. If they were comfortable on my stomach, they looked like clown pants. It does even out after a while.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:36 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Fat loss is a strange thing. I've been losing weight, and for a while I could only find pants that fit either my stomach or my legs. If they were comfortable on my stomach, they looked like clown pants. It does even out after a while.

I notice that before my and during my period my stomach feels like it's gained 7 inches. Sorry if that sounds gross, but it's the women's forum so I might as well be honest :D

When I sit down, the lower part of my abdomen bulges out and it makes me feel ugly. I asked my mom if I look like I've gained weight and she said no. It's like I've been conditioned to hate my body.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 3:31 am

It probably has gained size during that time. Water retention is common during the first couple of days of your period. I've got a few shirts that are tight during that time and perfectly comfortable at any other time.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 11:34 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
It probably has gained size during that time. Water retention is common during the first couple of days of your period. I've got a few shirts that are tight during that time and perfectly comfortable at any other time.

It's a royal pain to deal with. I may have to go on an antidepressant and I've read that those make you gain weight. The last thing I deserve is to be at a weight where I can't wear women's clothes anymore.

I'm 5'2 and my body wouldn't be able to support a size 26 or above that. I wear an 18/20, but that's small enough to where I can actually move around and be happy.

I hate being a woman sometimes.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm

Clothes sizes are a pain in the butt and then some, it makes it really hard to find work clothes that will fit. I also have the problem of being on the really short side.