Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 10:51 pm

I (completely incorrectly) find people saying- to my face- "oh you're too innocent, you wont understand" and other such things. Do others find people assume a level of "purity" or naivety...or is it just me?

By the way, I wouldn't agree with the above, recent celibacy does not equal some kind of saintliness, I'm pretty sure I've done stuff that could shock and horrify some of the people who assume I am some kind of unworldly innocent... :oops:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 12:58 am

Yes, that does happen. The problem is oftentimes I truly don't know. Or maybe I'd rather not.

Maybe we're underestimated. I am told I can have a 'deer in the headlights' look so maybe, on their part, they subconsciously treat me as such. In all reality, I am really conservative in lifestyle. Just by nature.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 6:18 am

Yes. I think it's because I look young. And I'm very cautious, which gets taken as unworldliness.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 6:48 am

When I was in high school my small circle of girlfriends would ask me to leave the room if they wanted to tell a dirty joke or talk about their sex lives. People also keep the more negative aspects of themselves from me I think because they perceive me as a goody-goody and assume I will judge them. I'm actually not very judgmental, I might just say (to myself) that I would make a different choice.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 9:46 am

yeah, quite different but I'm pretty sure I had someone who was a customer were I worked once shout abuse along these sort of lines, that I am naive/soft/childish and I left this job because I couldn't play with the big kids. Of course my leaving had nothing whatsoever to do with my having an episode of major depression w/ psychosis and everything to do with my apparently being childish.

The fact this guy beat his wife in front of his 5-year old daughter across the street, another customer slept with his sister-in-law (legally incest maybe?) and at every shift each member of staff was met by the same aggressive, non-sensical alcoholic are obviously normal working conditions and clearly demonstrates I am too naive to handle the real world and should run for mummy. :roll:

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 1:46 pm

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
yeah, quite different but I'm pretty sure I had someone who was a customer were I worked once shout abuse along these sort of lines, that I am naive/soft/childish and I left this job because I couldn't play with the big kids. Of course my leaving had nothing whatsoever to do with my having an episode of major depression w/ psychosis and everything to do with my apparently being childish.

The fact this guy beat his wife in front of his 5-year old daughter across the street, another customer slept with his sister-in-law (legally incest maybe?) and at every shift each member of staff was met by the same aggressive, non-sensical alcoholic are obviously normal working conditions and clearly demonstrates I am too naive to handle the real world and should run for mummy. :roll:

I bet you lasted longer then I would have those coworkers of yours sound like hell to work with.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 2:59 pm

:lol: yeah, tell me about it, hell is one word for it

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 8:27 pm

Yeah people do things like ruffle my hair if they're taller than me, even address me as 'kid'.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 11:23 am

Yep... I've limited people's behaviour towards me and that means I'm a naive little snowflake that can't handle the real world... How stupid is that.

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:35 pm

Ligea_Seroua wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've done stuff that could shock and horrify some of the people who assume I am some kind of unworldly innocent... :oops:

Slight overexaggeration due to exasperation :lol: (and have to admit, my life is actually usually as U rated as a disney film... :( albeit with a soundtrack of parental advisory stickered songs)

My annoyance came about as a result of being described as "too innocent" during a conversation with a girl over a decade younger than me, from a strict Indian family, and also another woman who is a devout catholic housewife ....Due to my failure to spot innuendo, join in, or laugh. Which once the remarks were explained, wasn't particularly funny nor factually correct.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 10:30 pm

My clothes, shyness, looks, and obsession with cats does NOT reflect the less innocent person within me, I can tell ya that. Is it no wonder why my parents are constantly holding me back and overprotecting me so much? They never approved of anything different that I would want to do with myself.

God I miss college and being able to do so much s**t behind their backs. I'm 10x the rebel now than I was in high school out o pure bitterness for everyone thinking and teasing me for being so cute and innocent.

So one time, I was in a liquor store with some friends and I was gonna buy something but I couldn't find anything I was in the mood for, talked to my friend who was buying something about what he should have at his party and then went back to the car with some other friends who were waiting. Apparently the liquor store owner called the police and had us pulled over because I looked underage (I was 22 or 23 when this happened though I do remember that what I was wearing that night made me look too kiddish and less adult). There was one underage guy in the car with us but the cop seemed pretty cool with us and just told us to look after ourselves. Still I hate to think what would've happened if the situation had been different. I would've been crapped on forever.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 1:32 am

Quote:
Which once the remarks were explained, wasn't particularly funny nor factually correct.

:lol: some people think they're hilarious when they say something vaguely sexual, why is it that still finding sex and al things sexual funny is more mature than not?

the only reason I can think of for people laughing is to show that they're at ease with making jokes about sex and is a subtle way of saying 'yes, I have also engaged in sexual intercourse'.

"Nudge, nudge, wink wink, nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat, say no more!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I[/youtube]

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:07 am

Yes... why does 'mature content' mean stuff that seems to be... decidedly otherwise? :lol: I've actually been criticised as 'judgemental' for saying that I personally don't like it when everyone else does.

And often I'll totally get what people are talking about when they use innuendo. I just don't see it as a big thing that you're meant to laugh at and make a big deal of about, either. :? And I'll be ok with more joking from people I know better.

I don't think this really makes me immature or naive- it just means that I know my own feelings, and choose how personal I'll allow a conversation to be depending on who it is, instead of just being pushed to act the same. People seem to have a problem with that though... :(

PS. Excellent choice of video :lol:

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 1:28 pm

seconded re clip choice, thanks Titus. 8)

activebutodd wrote:
Yes... why does 'mature content' mean stuff that seems to be... decidedly otherwise? :lol: I've actually been criticised as 'judgemental' for saying that I personally don't like it when everyone else does.

And there seems to be no effective way of dealing with this, -failure to understand = naivety, lack of amusement = judgemental or attempting to be morally superior....

Lastly- strange isn't it, that if in order to be sure you have actually understood, you respond with "so you are trying to say *exact anatomical phrase or descriptive verb*?", you are greeted with "Ew" or "that's sick". Even though the concept is exactly the same....complete logic failure. :roll:

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 2:40 pm

no worries, everyone loves the Python boys :D

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 5:00 am

Yep, Python are awesome. They make the best points.

Yes... I find that I don't get taken as 'I got it. Yeah it was ok, just not funny enough to wet pants over'. I get taken as 'ha ha she doesn't know enough to get it' or 'OMG she has no sense of humour and is deliberately being mean!'
I thought it was the Aspies that were meant to think in black and white :lol:

The funniest part is when I'll try to say I'm not into something or it's not really relevant to me and people tell me I 'have no right of judgement'. WTF? 8O