Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

xile123 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
xile123 wrote:
I've never had this issue with health professionals (99% of them have been very kind to me), I find its family members and acquaintances that are the dismissive people.

The difference could be related to the fact that you are male. This thread is in Women's Discussion btw, so it's not really necessary for you to pipe up and say these issues that we women are discussing here don't apply to you.

All I see is fakers complaining that health professionals are calling then out on their BS.

Yes of course many women have an ASD but there's a reason why males are diagnosed more often and its not "da patriarchy", its actually due to the fact males are 4 to 5 times more likely to have any kind of developmental disorder, not just with ASDs.

You can see the logical flaw in that statement, right? The statistic that males are 4 to 5 times more likely is based on current diagnostic rates and practices; if, as this thread posits, females have a harder time getting diagnosed, then that first statistic is dubious.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 5:57 pm

xile123 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
xile123 wrote:
I've never had this issue with health professionals (99% of them have been very kind to me), I find its family members and acquaintances that are the dismissive people.

The difference could be related to the fact that you are male. This thread is in Women's Discussion btw, so it's not really necessary for you to pipe up and say these issues that we women are discussing here don't apply to you.

All I see is fakers complaining that health professionals are calling then out on their BS.

Yes of course many women have an ASD but there's a reason why males are diagnosed more often and its not "da patriarchy", its actually due to the fact males are 4 to 5 times more likely to have any kind of developmental disorder, not just with ASDs.

Hey now. I'm not a fake complainer. As I stated earlier in here I had xrays and emgs to back what my previous doc dx'd me with and my new doc flat out told me I was wrong until he had proof in his hands. It was nuts. I was told I was fine by er docs until they ran tests and I ended up needing emergency surgery.

Just sayin...

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 6:10 pm

dossa wrote:
xile123 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
xile123 wrote:

Hey now. I'm not a fake complainer. As I stated earlier in here I had xrays and emgs to back what my previous doc dx'd me with and my new doc flat out told me I was wrong until he had proof in his hands. It was nuts. I was told I was fine by er docs until they ran tests and I ended up needing emergency surgery.

Just sayin...

He's saying that we're faking having autism--you know, because we're female and autism is mostly a male thing. :roll:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 8:47 pm

xile123 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
xile123 wrote:

Perhaps you are not aware that there is extensive research evidence of gender bias in medical diagnosis, medical care, medical services. There is also research on the missed diagnosis of ASD in girls and women. Start reading here, if you
really did not know anything about any of this:

http://ccn.aacnjournals.org/content/32/6/8

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

It's bloody impossible to discuss anything in the Women's Forum without some guy butting in to tell us we are imagining that we are women.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm

The guys who keep butting in only prove the points being made here...ie, being dismissed easily. But what REALLY proves the point even more is the fact that they are allowed to keep coming in here making these kinds of posts.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

It seems entirely possible that these butters-in don't read the guideline stickies, and a proportion of them also seem indifferent to the rules from time to time. Here are the guidelines for this forum:

viewtopic.php?t=141113

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 6:35 pm

If reminding people of the guidelines was going to fix the problem, it would have been solved a long time ago.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

Moderators do issue warnings, and members have been banned at times for ignoring those warnings. I accept that the Haven guidelines do tend to be more stringently applied, and it does seem to me that the same level of application is needed here. Maybe we can do better.

Misogyny is against the rules, in any of WP's subforums; it is doubly toxic when it happens in this one, and this concern is not limited to me.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 6:58 pm

B19 wrote:
Moderators do issue warnings, and members have been banned at times for ignoring those warnings. I accept that the Haven guidelines do tend to be more stringently applied, and it does seem to me that the same level of application is needed here. Maybe we can do better.

Misogyny is against the rules, in any of WP's subforums; it is doubly toxic when it happens in this one, and this concern is not limited to me.

You're just saying this because your mind has been polluted with "academic feminism".

/s

:lol:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 7:06 pm

Thanks, I need to laugh more lately :mrgreen:

I'm only saying it "because I am a woman" :mrgreen:

nyx84
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2016, 5:47 pm

Back to the original topic.

I am a women in her 30's now, i live in the UK and do not ever remember leaving the doctors feeling like i was listened to and taken seriously. I have had a number of health complaints over the years and often find that the doctors are not interested in helping me find the cause. I have been misdiagnosed and outright dismissed at various times.

My friends who was diagnosed with ASD as a child keeps trying to get me to ask the doctor to get an autism diagnosis which i haven't, because i find it to hard to get the doctor to listen to me about physical complaints, i have no idea how i would be able to get them to listen to me about being autistic.

I know part of this is because the more stressed i become the more non verbal i become. I've tried writing lists but have met with little success, i don't usually make it to the end before the doctors decides what they are doing. But even when i do manage to speak up for myself i am still often dismissed.