Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 9:59 pm

y-pod wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
y-pod wrote:
Plus the government kept records of our cycles. A log book was passed from girl to girl every month to document her latest period, date, length, number of pads used, any symptoms...etc.

I am surprised by your statement.

I have lived in China all the time, in a small city and a big city. My mother is about your age and she said she never knew there was such a thing.
A similar thing she knew was that family planning clerks would ask married women when they had their last menstrual period (to determine if they were pregnant).
Another similar situation I know of is that very few schools try to record girls' menstrual times in case they lie to avoid gym class - such schools are condemned by others.

Are you sure that this kind of activity you describe is being carried out by the government?Maybe there was some misunderstanding in the middle?
I don't deny that you may have experienced this, but it definitely surprised me.

It's possible that our school was participating in some sort of study. I wouldn't know if it's common in other area or not. Given that our schools did annual checkup on every student and had given immunizations, nobody asked too many questions regarding their roles in health care. Every year they checked our height, weight, eye sight, hearing, blood pressure...etc. and kept a record of those as well. I'm sure they needed to submit those to the health ministry. I suspect it's part of the requirement for getting the extra funding.

I have read a few papers regarding the growth statistics of Chinese children. Obviously someone collected those data and made them available to researchers. :)

"height, weight, eye sight, hearing, blood pressure" are all part of a routine health checkup and every school does it. In the case of a university, there is also an infectious disease check. The most rigorous medical exam is the one before the high school proficiency test and includes almost all medical items.
But menstrual details are not included.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 10:00 pm

Last month, a few days before Easter, I was just finishing my grocery shopping at Walmart when the cashier and the guy behind me started talking about how everyone they knew got covid, and I had a major meltdown and ran screaming out the door with my cart. A day or two later, I got my period. And I haven't gone back to that Walmart since.

So I guess that's it, when it's at least a week before my period I have to avoid anything that could cause me stress. Which basically means hiding under my bed covers and keeping the room as dark and silent as possible. Or moving into a sensory deprivation tank, or something. But then I'll get bored and I spend 99% of my time alone in my apartment anyway, so I can't win.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 8:39 pm

Yes, I have the recent donut-shop and ski-resort incidents (meltdowns). I also have the urge to not go back (embarrassment, shame). I am in an intensive class for anxiety and panic attacks (and meltdowns) and learning (1) some skills to monitor and avoid meltdowns, but more importantly (b/c some are going to happen) that (2) it's ok for me to meltdown in public ---and I can go back with my esteem intact.

Did I already mention that I was a "nutcase" during miscarriages and when I weaned my child? Holy hormonal shifts! Still there are good motivating times during my cycle as well as "protective" hormones prior to miscarriage or weaning. Pros and cons.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 9:20 pm

I started my period at almost 9 years old. I remember that I wasn't quite 9 yet because it was really early in the school year.

I also am more prone to meltdowns a bit before my period. I think my sensory issues worsen around that time, so I get overwhelmed really easily.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 10:44 pm

Started at the age of eleven.
My mother gave me timely teaching and care.
But my frequency is irregular and there is too long. And I tend to forget to change my hygiene products on time when the obsession happens.

I don't take good care of myself. And that's an extra burden.
Thanks to my hormone levels it stopped for a few years...but unfortunately that didn't last much longer.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 12:23 pm

It must be close to my period now because I'm ready to murder people. And myself. And because my nipples hurt and my body feels like it's swollen up to twice it's usual size.