Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2008, 12:44 pm

does anyone else desire to be tiny in terms of size? i wish i was really thin even though i know that it is not healthy. i am an english size 8 to 10 but want to be even smaller. however i do not have eating disorder as i do still eat properly despite wanting to be thin. this is because i know that i need food in order to function but it does not stop the thought of needing to eat & particulary eating in front of people disgusting me at times. does anyone else feel like this? has anyone found a solution?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:10 pm

That still doesn't sound healthy, hun...

I'm an English size 8-10 and there's no way I want to be any smaller. I have curves, sure, and I love my body, but please... definitely no smaller.

Remember, if you get too thin things stop working. Your skin turns to crap, hair falls out, organs stop working, you stop ovulating, not to mention the effect it has on your metabolism and general health... 8-10 is a lovely size. Just eat well and be happy! :)

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:16 pm

Being too thin is ugly, I have hypermetabolism and trust me... it is not fun. I eat tons and yet I do not gain anything, some people accuse me of having a eating disorder which makes me feel bad.

The best th ing you can do is eat right and exercise and let nature decide the figure for you.

I don't eat the greatest, but I work out at a gym and thanks to working out I am gaining muscle
weight, I look much healthier then a skinny person.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:46 pm

You may not have an eating disorder *yet*, but you've got the mindset for one. My quest to be tiny began as little more than desire, and became a decade-long battle that almost cost me my life. I think it is important to understand why you feel this way, and seek help with it now before it turns into something else.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 2:45 pm

Yeah. I was very skinny when I was younger, usually about 105 pounds. So now I feel fat at times, although I only weigh between 115 and 120 (it varries some).
I've always had decent muscle tone, so I was never really scrawny or anything.
But I would like to be (or at least look) thinner, even though I know I'm fine as I am.

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2008, 3:11 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Being too thin is ugly

There are plenty of modeling agencies out there that would disagree with you there, lol.

Chibi_Neko wrote:
I have hypermetabolism and trust me... it is not fun. I eat tons and yet I do not gain anything, some people accuse me of having a eating disorder which makes me feel bad.

Others would consider you incredibly lucky. You'll appreciate it more when you hit your 30's and everyone else puts on pounds they can't take off no matter what, and you can still eat what you want.

I grew up underweight, and being a guy was made fun of for it. So I developed a bad habit of overeating trying to gain weight. Didn't help at all then, but when I got older it caught up with me. I suppose you could say I had a reverse anorexia. Fortunately, I overcame the bad habit and am a healthy weight now, minus a slight belly, but would have been much better off being happy the size I was.

And now uber-thin male models seem to be the new thing. WTF is up with that?? And why couldn't it have hit when I was in my teens?

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 3:28 pm

To answer the original question: yes. of course. It's not healthy, but common. For me the key is being in control of that desire.

I'm an american size 2-4 (probably 2 right now) and sometimes I think I look chubby and want to be smaller, other times I'll forget to eat for a couple days and notice myself in the mirror and think, holy crap, when did I get back from Auschwitz?

It was a little easier at home because I could occasionally use the scale to make sure I wasn't overdoing it. At school, I just have to judge by appearance.

I stopped feeling disgusted about eating in front of people fairly recently, only in the past 2 years I think. It takes time. And yes, if I get too thin I feel like crap almost immediately- I like to think of it as mother nature's way of reminding me not to be an idiot.

Last edited by ford_prefects_kid on 12 May 2008, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 3:31 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Being too thin is ugly, I have hypermetabolism and trust me... it is not fun. I eat tons and yet I do not gain anything, some people accuse me of having a eating disorder which makes me feel bad.

The best th ing you can do is eat right and exercise and let nature decide the figure for you.

I don't eat the greatest, but I work out at a gym and thanks to working out I am gaining muscle
weight, I look much healthier then a skinny person.

Maybe you should get your thyroid checked. You might have hyperthyroidism. If not then your fast metabolism occurs because you work out a lot. Since I started exercising a lot I find that I make a lot of heat, even when I am sitting still. It's 70 degrees in my room and I am roasting in shorts and a tee shirt. I think my hair might be growing faster, too.

Sally:

Eat when you're hungry. If you let yourself get too hungry, you'll make bad decisions about what to eat. Certain dietary requirements must be met or you'll get sick. If you BMI says you're healthy, don't try to lose weight. If you're concerned about what you eat, buy the sandwich instead of the candy bar. Don't buy into any culture of guilt. Don't try to be too skinny because guys like me know that it doesn't look good anyway. If you develop an eating disorder, then you can say goodby to years of friendships, enjoyment of activities, having children, jobs, money, and living independently, and you might never get them back. Don't do this.

The effects can snowball, even if you recover. For example, if an eating disorder prevents you from finishing college (if you go), then going back later will be so much more difficult and expensive than to keep the continuity of effort going until completion when you're in it. Not getting your degree will prevent you from getting certain jobs, which makes you poorer, and so on. It can ruin your life.

By the way, if at some point you find it necessary to do anything to control weight, you are much better off doing weight training and resistance training, such as the stationary bike, than dieting. Unlike exercise, dieting won't make you stronger, and everyone needs to exercise anyway to build strength and endurance, and protect their health, even if they don't want to lose weight.

Women who have a bit of muscle and padding are very sexy to me.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 4:12 pm

sgrannel wrote:
Maybe you should get your thyroid checked. You might have hyperthyroidism. If not then your fast metabolism occurs because you work out a lot. Since I started exercising a lot I find that I make a lot of heat, even when I am sitting still.

I was a lazy bum as a kid, loved to eat, and the foods I ate wasn't very healthy either... so the metabolism dosen't kick in when I work out. I have only began to exercie more in the mast year and since then I have gained 20 pounds of muscle weight. I am 5'11, I used to be 110 pounds, I am now 130.... my body looks much healthier now.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 5:23 pm

Chibi Neko, I'm the same. I can eat what I like (and believe me, I eat A LOT) but never put on weight - it just stays steadily the same. For my size I'm a healthy weight and size, I don't work out but I do walk a lot and get plenty of exercise, I eat a very healthy diet... so it doesn't really worry me.

My thyroid is fine for the moment, though whether it'll stay that way is yet to be seen.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 10:30 pm

LoveableNerd wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
Being too thin is ugly

There are plenty of modeling agencies out there that would disagree with you there, lol.

That's true, but the fashion industry has very little to do with reality any more. They don't design clothing, they design wearable modern art - so they want stylized human beings to display it on, not real ones. There are a couple of anorexic teens working at a starbucks near where I work, and whenever I go in there I'm torn between pity and disgust. Their upper arms are about the same size as their wrists; it's amazing that they can even remain upright, with their lack of muscle tone. They're nice young women, but I have a have an even harder time looking at them than I do at normal people.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2008, 3:56 am

part of the issue is that i dont want to be thin to please other people, i end up believing that if i was thin i would be happy myself. Another part is sometimes i dont get hungry & end up feeling hypoglycaemic before i feel hungry, which is bad as that makes me feel sick so i am even less wanting to eat. Other days i just feel hungry all the time no matter what i eat. does anyone else ever feel in this situation?

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

13 May 2008, 6:31 am

i have been overweight since i was a spaced out 8 year old.
I am 5'2" and have a totally different standard about body wieght than most of the people who have replied to this thread thus far..
I will not even bother mentioning what I weigh as I will end up sounding like I am Jaba the Hut...while..actually I am pretty comfortable with my size...though I have been actively trying to lose weight.
I had more issues with forgetting to eat when I was a little kid....so I was underweight...and would be ready to faint before rmrmbering to eat...

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:08 pm

I was a fat baby, who grew up into a chubby toddler, who grew into a tubby child, who grew up into an overweight teen; I briefly managed 'sleek' when I was in varsity crew, but I have never been thin, even when I was exercising 2-3 hours a day and weight training several times a week. I am currently fat, but I'm still stronger than most women and some men. My cardiovascular fitness and blood pressure remain excellent.

I would love to lose weight for aesthetic reasons, and go back to sleek, but I wouldn't lose all of my fat before I started losing muscle. I find an athletic build, even with little fat, far more attractive (on both men and women) than a thin build; I'd rather date someone who was overweight but otherwise in shape than someone who was thin and frail.

I'd far rather be this:

than this:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 4:12 pm

I weigh... uhm... some 140 pounds, I exercise and I'd never want to go below 130 pounds. Because then I'd look... BONES!

Yes, even though that would only be 10 pounds. Scary huh?? Doctors get really confused when they hear. Some told me to LOSE weight!

I remember weighing high average as a child. But my arms and legs and wrists were so small that I looked as though my family made me starve and didn't give me food!

People commented on it, that I looked too thin and asked whether I ate. (Yes, I ate as much as before.) Very scary.

I do was the fattest baby prior to that, but also weigh 'high average' as a baby. That weight stuff makes no sense to me.

When I exercise I gain weight and get thinner...

I concluded: Weight is a number. Perfect low weight can make you look ugly as hell, but, from what I have learned from friends, somehow make yourself feel awesome and good for a few hours (and then you feel bad again).

About other people: Everybody sees you, but no one will ever try to weigh you.

I'd advice either a most awesome and professional friend or an awesome therapist that talks about you with that idea of 'pleasing other and being happy by being thin'.

Before you really want to make that reality and before you really do weigh 'low enough' and be all bones and get sick and... that's just not good at all. That would really not be good at all.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 4:20 pm

Sally, why do you think you'd be happier yourself if you were thinner? Try and figure out what it is that's actually making you unhappy - it won't be your weight, there'll be something else. Is it a lack of control over some aspect of your life that you're transferring to something potentially controllable? I know that's what it was with my best mate before she went bulimic, and you're sounding scarily like her. Find the source of the problem, because believe me sweetie, being thinner isn't going to make you any happier than you are now. I really hope you're ok. :)