Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ensabah6
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2009, 11:53 pm

first are you aspie/nt.

would you be willing to abort your prengancy 1 trimester if you know it has autism, gay, cerabl palsi,down syndrome genes, hemophillia, or ashthma genes.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 12:56 am

I am a Catholic, so I believe that all life is sacred, weather it be in the womb or on the battlefield. I believe these things in my heart, so it is not a doctrine but a deeply held conviction.

chris

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 1:57 am

1. Borderline Aspie/NT.

2. Nope.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2009, 2:56 am

Aspie, and why would I abort if my baby is gay or autistic? Autism and homosexuality are to be celebrated, not shunned. If my baby were going to have anything terrible happen to it, such as spina bifida or something of a similar nature, I would do an abortion, yes. Or if the pregnancy wasn't planned, or if my life was in danger.
I do not like the idea of using any form of abortion to play eugenics though. Human variety is good for the gene pool.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 8:20 am

HF Autie-

I would celebrate if I found out my baby was going to be Autistic!
I wouldn't be so happy if I found out it was NT. What's the point of having a child if it is unable to live the life that ***I*** want it to live? In fact, I might just abort it... (Just kidding.)

But really, I would favor an High-Functioning Autistic Child over an NT child. And I would still love and care for a Low-Functioning Autistic child.

If it were gay, I wouldn't care! It would just make things more fun for me to watch.
Asthma... why?! So many people I know have asthma, they live perfectly fine, with a few minor adjustments.
Hemophilia- no. I would just make sure my child is well-protected.

Cerebral Palsy and Downs Syndrome-- I not very sure on these ones. I know its 'wrong' to abort these, but I don't think I would be able to provide a good life for them and care for them adequately. Both our lives would be miserable. But then again... it might not be so bad as I think it might be.
Oh, I don't know!

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2009, 11:06 am

Autistic (high functioning), Bipolar

No, I wouldn't choose to abort knowing my child would be different or disabled in any way.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:41 am

I've read that even spina bifida isn't that bad - it just seems bad to a society phobic about disability. :!:

There are a few conditions that you would want to abort, because the child will die anyway and suffer in the meantime, but they're pretty rare (there's some condition where the baby eats its own hands?), and probably run in families.

In general, the problem with genetic testing is that you get one-sided views on how bad the condition is versus how fulfilling it is to have a child. Plus, about 85% of disabilities aren't present in the child at birth.

I'm on the spectrum, and I wouldn't abort for reasons of disability or neurological difference. I would abort if I knew I couldn't manage to raise the child.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 12:23 pm

I'd let the woman decide. I'm OK with abortion (it's never the woman's fault I believe, always the man's), I'm OK with taking responsibility for your child. Children make life satisfying. I'd would not want to force the girl one way or the other. Or blame her. I might still do it because I am not perfect and far from being an angel, but I would TRY not to.

Angel_Maria
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2009, 7:44 pm

1-ADHD

2- i do not believe in abortion however a good friend of mine is having one in 3 days time and it is really hard to talk to her about it. I am going with her to the clinic for support but i dont want to because of how i feel.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 9:58 pm

ensabah6 wrote:
first are you aspie/nt.

would you be willing to abort your prengancy 1 trimester if you know it has autism, gay, cerabl palsi,down syndrome genes, hemophillia, or ashthma genes.

I was told my youngest child most likely had a serious problem (one of the trisomies) and was faced with having experts tell me to consider abortion. The genetic tests came back clear but it still haunts me what I would have decided.

If it had been a trisomy that caused death within a year I would have aborted. DS... I did not want to abort but would have been pressured by family to do it and I probably would have caved. Asthma, no (I have a child with severe asthma, it is manageable... though I might suggest she adopt rather than have bio children so as not to apss on the gene). Hemophilia is treatable... CP... not sure, it is a wide spectrum, I have a good friend who has CP and he is an attorney and basically self sufficient... so it's hard to imagine aborting just based on that.

I would not abort a child with autism.

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 6:23 am

1. Asperger's Syndrome

2. I tend to have this stance on abortion. If anyone is offended by it, please let me know and I will clarify my stance.

Please, all who read this, take the time to watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNnzpmU8hEg

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 6:46 am

to expand on my own view, I NEVER wanted children, and I whole-heartedly support abortion in the case of autistic genes being passed on. One thing I have always said to cut a long story short, is "One of me is bad enough".

After long term illness I have found myself infertile, and I found this fact as a great reasurrance because people would always be deluded and say to me "Oh, later on in life you'll change your mind. Having children is the singular most joyous thing in life". Well not for me. The idea of me having kids is merely an act of torture upon the world and the kid itself. I know how much I have suffered at the hands of AS and me becoming sterile is the best thing that could have ever happened to this world and the ethereal spirit that may have been lyinging in wait for me to breing it into existance.

A ex once said to me "Wouldn't you just love to bring a clean spirit into the world that we can fill with good ideas and love"

To which I replied, "OK, well I'll tell you what, if you're so damn altruistic, then why not leave that clean slate wherever it is right now. And don't contaminate it with the negativities that this world infects us with."

Well at least now people cannot say that to me because the idea of me procreating is medically impossible. And for one, I am glad. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that is reinforced by the fact that I lost my fertility.

With all this said, I believe Bill Hicks said it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcebIEOkhY

And also his defense to NOT procreate. Its from 2minutres 7 seconds to 4 minutes 40 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFjZOce1vv0

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph

Angel_Maria
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2009, 7:28 am

Mmmmmmm your views and points are quite interesting.

I mean i personally dont agree with it because there is a chance for you to bring another lie into this world and it is a child that is of your own blood. Also looking at the risks to the woan and the chance of never having kids again.

However i also see the other side of the story.

For example as i have said many times to people before there are enough children in this world who have been abandoned and need love and attention and they need a home just as much if not more than a unborn baby.

cassandra
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2009, 3:50 am

I would not have the test done in the first place...

I think abortion is taken too lightly, it should be used as the last resort when there is something really bad e.g Rape, incest, severe disability where the child cannot live etc etc...

People should be more responsible when they have sex, and if they cannot be responsible then they should not be having sex in the first place.

Quote:
I believe it should always be up to the pregnant woman whether she has an abortion or not

I agree with this as well

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:55 pm

Bluestocking wrote:
Aspie, and why would I abort if my baby is gay or autistic? Autism and homosexuality are to be celebrated, not shunned. If my baby were going to have anything terrible happen to it, such as spina bifida or something of a similar nature, I would do an abortion, yes. Or if the pregnancy wasn't planned, or if my life was in danger.
I do not like the idea of using any form of abortion to play eugenics though. Human variety is good for the gene pool.

My thoughts exactly.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 6:26 am

My son is aspie as am I and it's great...if he also says he's gay I'd be really happy too. My dad has asthma so no. And I don't know about downs but I would want to speak to ppl with it to see whether they think there life is worth living before judging them, as I expect they
lead full and happy lives.

However, I would probably have an abortion if the father was an A*hole though, if I ever found myself in that situation , or if I got raped etc. Also if I was on lots of medications or drugs and didn't know I was pregnant, or had drunk lots of alcohol.