Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:49 pm

Sometimes when I'm alone I suddenly start talking to myself and I voice the thoughts in my head out loud. Sometimes I don't realise I'm doing this until just before I stop.

Secondly, when I'm in a public place (classrooms and shops mostly) I find that I go blank and I totally forget what is going on around me. Again I don't realise I have gone blank until I 'wake up' from it.

Do these kind of things happen to any of you?

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 12:53 pm

All the time. I mumble about it - which is annoying because I hate it when other people mumble, my mom does it too.
I do it mostly when I read something funny on the internet; I seem to be in between mumbling and giggling. It drives my sister nuts.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:54 pm

I do voice my thoughts out loud when I am alone. I also find I think much more clearly when I am alone.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second point, though.

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:55 pm

Yeah, sometimes when I am alone in the house, I talk softly out loud to myself. I know I am doing it, but I do not try to stop myself unless someone else is around.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:57 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
I do voice my thoughts out loud when I am alone. I also find I think much more clearly when I am alone.

It's hard to explain my second point. It's like I've gone to another world and I don't realise I'm there until I come out of it.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2008, 1:10 pm

I do voice thoughts out loud as they help me to get things sorted out (and it also helps me with school work). As for the second point that doesn't seem to happen to me.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 1:12 pm

Nico wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:

It's hard to explain my second point. It's like I've gone to another world and I don't realise I'm there until I come out of it.
Sounds like you're referring to the very common phenomenon known as daydreaming, or spacing-out. It happens to me sometimes.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2008, 1:16 pm

I think it helps to make talking easier with other people.I talk all the time to myself and the times when i need to talk to other people i just do what i do when im on my own but without giving answers and things.If i stay quiet for to long i stay that way and it becomes harder to talk.Its very hard to explain but i have had times when i cant speak my problem at the moment is speaking to much.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 1:23 pm

Yea i do this as well, it wont even be a sentence or real words, but i def do this haha.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 2:06 pm

I don't talk out loud, but I do make all the facial expressions and move my lips in synch with the conversation I'm having with someone in my head. I try hard to make sure I'm not caught but I think sometimes i am :oops:

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Sometimes when I'm alone I suddenly start talking to myself and I voice the thoughts in my head out loud. Sometimes I don't realise I'm doing this until just before I stop.

Yes. I don't do this in public nearly as often as in private.

Quote:
Secondly, when I'm in a public place (classrooms and shops mostly) I find that I go blank and I totally forget what is going on around me. Again I don't realise I have gone blank until I 'wake up' from it.

Yes. I get lost in my thoughts a lot, but it would be a simpler explanation to attribute this to my INTJ/INTP personality type than a PDD, although I do wonder about this. I sometimes envision myself doing something or being somewhere while I'm either driving, walking, sitting somewhere, or even reading and I can't control it; all I can do is 'wake up' when I realize I'm doing it. It can be dangerous sometimes.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 2:33 pm

[b]I've done it all the time espeacially in public areas. It went so far that another customer at the store asked if I was talking to them :oops: I think for me it's a nervous tic, I'm not sure. Since that and other hoo-hahs, I've been taking steps to reduce it. I now bring an ipod with me whenever I go anywhere and start jam'n to pump'n tunes. It's fun because I like music and it's a great distraction from my freakn head that spends.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 2:37 pm

Nico wrote:

I do this, but I don't talk out loud, I just lipsynch. I do tend to talk softly repeating words I've just heard or read, but I don't realize it until after I've done it.

Quote:

Do these kind of things happen to any of you?

This happens to me, completely. I'm known in my university for that, and I was known at school for that.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 2:50 pm

The first thing you mentioned, mumbling...my husband and AS son do that all the time. Makes them look psycho. (but they're not...I hope!)

The second thing, if you're talking about something more than daydreaming, yes. It used to happen to me very, very frequently, in any crowded or busy place (and particularly at school). It was somewhat like being shellshocked. I think it was sensory overload. It's just very weird and unnerving "coming to". A real jolt! I think it is the body's inabilty to simultaneously process everything that's going on. When I was very, very young (4-7) this used to occur even outside in the yard, field or woods. (I used to wander alot) I can only assume that even the sound of footsteps, crunching leaves, water, wind and the smells of the farmyard also were too much to process; though, I found nature calming.

steff
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 3:03 pm

hell yeah i love it, apart from when teacher is explaining bizzare and overly complicated theory with big words n im there talking to myself

:-)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 3:06 pm

I talk out loud when I'm by myself all the time. It's quite soothing, actually.