Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 5:09 am

that if you were living in a world with a lot less artificial stimuli such as bright lighting, lots of noise, refined sugars, unnatural foods, time stress, other stressors.. you would be better off, as would your symptoms?

Sometimes I think my problems are that stimuli everywhere is setting me up to be in an overstimulation/understimulation cycle.

I think I am just too sensitive.

Taking a break.

MeganVegantoast
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2008, 5:55 am

I know when I went vegan and started eating more whole grains my sensory sensitivities went down a lot.
I think it was mostly due to the fact that when you eat animal products, you're taking in a lot of hormones and chemicals.

Refined foods definitely don't help either.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2008, 6:00 am

I think that 50,000 years ago when people were nomadic and only traveled in small groups all or most humans were on the autistic spectrum. Then civilization came with lots of more people, more communication, more noise and more chaos and well... NTs started to outnumber Aspies.
So yeah, you could say so.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2008, 6:03 am

zen_mistress wrote:
Sometimes I think my problems are that stimuli everywhere is setting me up to be in an overstimulation/understimulation cycle.

Yes, yes and yes. Now I live in NZ and work from home I have almost no symptoms of AS. Instead I have peace, space, quiet, greenery & sunshine and can focus on the important things in life.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2008, 6:07 am

MsBehaviour wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:

Yes, yes and yes. Now I live in NZ and work from home I have almost no symptoms of AS. Instead I have peace, space, quiet, greenery & sunshine and can focus on the important things in life.

No, I wouldn't say so.
I would say that your symptoms aren't gone, they just don't cause anxiety and problems where... they are a problem (chaotic social environment).

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 10:32 am

zen_mistress wrote:
that if you were living in a world with a lot less artificial stimuli such as bright lighting, lots of noise, refined sugars, unnatural foods, time stress, other stressors.. you would be better off, as would your symptoms?

I think life would be easier, and not as painful as the headaches i get from all of it.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 5:17 am

MeganVegantoast wrote:
I know when I went vegan and started eating more whole grains my sensory sensitivities went down a lot.
I think it was mostly due to the fact that when you eat animal products, you're taking in a lot of hormones and chemicals.

Depends. 75% of all cattle meat naturally contains stuff that was earlier used to synthesize estrogen. Chickens on non-ecological farms are sometimes fed estrogen as well. On the other hand, a lot of non-animal products contain hormones as well. Soya has a lot of hormones that mimic estrogen, and so does corn.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 6:36 am

No.

I was vegetarian for about half a year, stopped drinking sodas/caffeine, no drugs/alcohol, meditated more, etc. There was no change in my anxiety, no change in my emotions. The only positive was that I became more passive. I was still quick to anger, quick to misinterpret. My senses became even more overwhelming. The slightest noise would break away my mediation. I felt even more alien from the people.

If anything, it fueled a more OCD behavior: Can't eat meat, meat is bad. Can't drink this, that is bad. Can't do this, it is bad. Also a more reclusive mindset because I limited myself from indulging on these things.

So no, not for me at least. Besides, as much as I dislike bright lights, I enjoy the sunrise. The birds sing to me. :D

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 8:06 am

Of course.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 10:16 am

I was a veggie from 15 to 30 and not for the last 10 years. I'm afraid I haven't noticed any difference. The only thing that's helped is moving out to the country, but now I'm even less able to cope with the level of stimulation in cities...

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2008, 12:42 pm

Reyairia wrote:
I think that 50,000 years ago when people were nomadic and only traveled in small groups all or most humans were on the autistic spectrum. Then civilization came with lots of more people, more communication, more noise and more chaos and well... NTs started to outnumber Aspies.

That statement made me think of the Neanderthal/Asperger's connection theory. :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 1:20 pm

I know from where I live there's way too much stimuli. We get glimpses of natural scenery here and there until contracters want to buy it off. I swear it just gets worse, nothing but noises of traffic and car accidents on a small road. I know some of the people I live around who have brought this up with City Hall and it seems to do no good. I guess it depends on where you live but with all the fossil fuels being used up and soooo many trees that are cut down each year I don't know how earth will handle it at least 100 years from now. I've tried to adapt to these loud noises, but it doesn't seem to work for me because I react before I have time to think. I don't feel like I'm too alone with this problem, I've asked some people around my age group what they thought of this issue and I get some opinions similar to mine. I bring this up because I usually expect older people to agree but no they don't all. Also, with these issues of fuel, why aren't there more public transportations. This would help me a great deal because :oops: I still don't drive. There's an idea for saving fuel and money. Again, I guess it all depends on where you live, didnt' mean to get too opinionated. But enough's enough. I know these contractors are just trying to making living but there's too much being lost. Some of it has been lost permanently.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 1:42 pm

Maybe . . . if there also weren't as many people, and the people were easy to get along with. I'm pretty happy as long as I don't have to interact with many people. Annoying and/or hostile people cause me to become depressed and anxious.