Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2008, 11:50 pm

"aren't really able to synthesize things in exactly the way a really good intellect can do."

This part cracks me up. The definition of synthesize is so vague that it leaves 200% room for interpretation. On top of that, they don't establish why it's a bad thing that aspies synthesize things in a different way than "a really good intellect" can, yet the phrasing ("aren't really ABLE") implies that it is, indeed, a negative.

In other words, smells like male cow dung.

AToughCustomer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2008, 11:55 pm

heh heh heh
yeah... i didn't find that comment to be so much mean or offensive, more just ignorant and hilarious

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 1:57 am

Wow...that's actually even more messed up than half the %$#@ I read that people say about THEMSELVES, here....

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2008, 5:47 am

Given that most people who have Asperger's don't go around shouting it to the heavens, and that it isn't blindingly obvious upon meeting someone that they have it, my guess is that he had an idea of what he thought aspies were like, and confirmed his stereotype by eliminating from consideration anyone who didn't fit it. A bit like someone who says that "all lesbians are ugly" because if they meet any attractive women they assume they must be straight. Humans are very good at this sort of self-fulfilling prejudice.

Chadk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2008, 5:51 am

Igorance is the curse of god, eh?

That person is extremely misinformed. Fine, aspergers can be full of themself. And yes, aspergers are obsessed with things, they learn a lot of facts.

And speaking from personal experience in the academic world, i can put all these facts together and draw conclusions WAY better than all other students.

So what he is saying is crap at least.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 8:56 am

I know I used to be like that when I was younger, especially when a new obsession first took hold of me. With maturity, however, I have become less and less like that. I can't say that I really have any obsessions that are new. They are all extensions of things I've read and researched in the past.

I will talk about my cats any chance I get, though. I have a strong bond with them.