Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 7:46 pm

yeah, like I said, I don't meet people with logic and reasoning skills during my life. If I ever do meet someone I could explain Autism to, i'll let you know.
The Asperger's support group was my last hope for meeting a like minded person at university, but so far I've failed to connect with any of them either. There are still people in the group I haven't spoken to, so I wont count them all out just yet.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:50 pm

Catalyst wrote:
Daewoodrow wrote:
I implied that everyone I meet during my daily routine is a complete and utter moron. Because they are.

I would say that by and large, most people-- NT, AS, whatever-- are morons.

But when you're talking to Aspies, you might want to make sure you use the language precisely, or we'll jump you. :D

How is this any better than ragging on gays or black people? This really turns my stomach. NT-phobia is permissible while homophobia is not????????

Illogical and infuriating!

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 7:51 pm

slowmutant wrote:
All ret*d people don't necessary look ret*d. It could be that only a few people from your daily routine are actually NT. This smugness of yours, this is why Aspies get the s*** kicked out of them by NT dummies on a regular basis. :x

Could be? I'm sorry, I don't live on coulds. I somewhat doubt I stumble across a large volume of Autistic people every day without realising, and even if i did that's entirely irrelevant.I don't call people morons because they look like morons, I call them morons because they say moronic things. I'm sorry you're bitter that someone like me can be arrogant and not give people a chance and actually be right about them, but if I actually met anybody i could hold an intelligent conversation with, I would be just as optimistic as you. The fact is, I only meet morons.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:52 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
All ret*d people don't necessary look ret*d. It could be that only a few people from your daily routine are actually NT. This smugness of yours, this is why Aspies get the s*** kicked out of them by NT dummies on a regular basis. :x

Could be? I'm sorry, I don't live on coulds. I somewhat doubt I stumble across a large volume of Autistic people every day without realising, and even if i did that's entirely irrelevant.I don't call people morons because they look like morons, I call them morons because they say moronic things. I'm sorry you're bitter that someone like me can be arrogant and not give people a chance and actually be right about them, but if I actually met anybody i could hold an intelligent conversation with, I would be just as optimistic as you. The fact is, I only meet morons.

Don't expect to make friends at university with that attitude, my friend.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 7:56 pm

slowmutant wrote:

You're clearly not listening. I don't want to be friends with a moron. If I wanted to sink to their level and hold seemingly fascinating conversations about mundane things, I would. It doesn't give me a proud feeling deep inside to be constantly inundated by stupid people, if I could make everyone in the world smarter than me I would. But when i'm looking for a friend, I look for people who can stimulate my mind in conversation.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:59 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

You're clearly not listening. I don't want to be friends with a moron. If I wanted to sink to their level and hold seemingly fascinating conversations about mundane things, I would. It doesn't give me a proud feeling deep inside to be constantly inundated by stupid people, if I could make everyone in the world smarter than me I would. But when i'm looking for a friend, I look for people who can stimulate my mind in conversation.

Okay, who is it that can engage your mind?

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 8:03 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
I would say that by and large, most people-- NT, AS, whatever-- are morons.

How is this any better than ragging on gays or black people?

Well, the way *I* said it was ragging on people-- please note that's what I said-- rather than blaming a subset (NT) for a trait that all of them have.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 8:10 pm

slowmutant wrote:

I really don't know. At risk of sounding even more arrogant, holding conversations with most people for me feels like driving a super car in a traffic jam.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 8:24 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

I really don't know. At risk of sounding even more arrogant, holding conversations with most people for me feels like driving a super car in a traffic jam.

Who can you talk to, then? Anyone? Does no one live up to your standards?

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 8:26 pm

1. Don't assume NT's are unintelligent because their thought process are different from yours or people with ASDs in general. If you want them to tolerate or accept you then you need to be prepared to do the same for them.

2. It's difficult for most NT's to imagine what it's like to have an ASD, especially when it comes to the social skills aspect. NT's learn most social behavior subconsciously. Use lots of examples.

3. Be willing to accept that you may not be successful

One of my professors, when I told him that I had NLD and about the issues with spatial relations, fixated on the term learning disorder and told me that I shouldn't have trouble with an assignment I was having trouble with (drawing a map) because he also had "a little dyslexia thing" and didn't have trouble with it.

He was completely unwilling to listen to what I had to tell him and actually walked away.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 8:40 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Who can you talk to, then? Anyone? Does no one live up to your standards?

I'm not exactly sure how to word this to make my opinion on the matter 100% clear, which is precisely my problem.

I've explained this as clearly as I can repeatedly, and yet the last poster is still lecturing (presumably) me on why I shouldn't assume all neurotypicals are morons, which implies that once again they didn't understand a word i've been saying.

I WANT to talk to people, but how can I, when nobody understands what i'm saying? It's a waste of my time. I waited my entire teenage life for someone to talk to that I have to struggle to speak to, and not just struggle to make them understand, struggle because it's a good conversation. It never happens. So no, nobody lives up to my "standards", but believe me, I take no comfort in that fact.

I DO NOT ASSUME ALL NEUROTYPICALS ARE MORONS. I approach every new person with the understanding that I don't know them, and i always walk away with the same disappointment in them. If i met any Autistics today without realising, then they weren't any more intelligent than the neurotypicals. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 8:58 pm

Daewoodrow wrote:
At risk of sounding even more arrogant, holding conversations with most people for me feels like driving a super car in a traffic jam.

You and I are going back and forth on this in two different threads. To avoid confusion, I'm going over to the Autisnob thread. I think you and I are communicating more clearly over there, esp based on the post I see over there.....

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 9:05 pm

Catalyst wrote:
You and I are going back and forth on this in two different threads. To avoid confusion, I'm going over to the Autisnob thread. I think you and I are communicating more clearly over there, esp based on the post I see over there.....

Ok that's fair enough

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:13 pm

Hi Daewoodrow. Me NT. Me understand wot you said. Me hope you find da logical mind you search for.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 9:17 pm

nannarob wrote:
Hi Daewoodrow. Me NT. Me understand wot you said. Me hope you find da logical mind you search for.

And with that very immature comment you've once again implied I said all Neurotypicals are morons. Which means you didn't understand a word I said, which ironically proves you to be one the people I was talking about.

And once again I ask myself why I bother.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:07 am

All my efforts have been futile until now. There should be a campaign for increasing awareness and understanding of the condition. After all people with autism are a greater number than people with AIDS. Worst, they are camouflaged everywhere. If they can talk, that means that they can verbalize, that they can produce speech, but they can’t express themselves, they can’t vent their feelings, people ignore the strenuous character of their life, that they are forced to be insincere, conventional, false. They are the more inauthentic people on earth and they suffer hell for that.

Perhaps there should be some dramatic act, by some one who lives on the edge of the two worlds and is well known as a public figure. Some public figure should walk naked in the voting poll. If I did it, I would only be taken away to a bedlam, but if George Clooney, or Philip Roth – first names that come to my mind – did it that would start something perhaps. And they should do it the same day in various places in a coordinated way.
The campaign for a sincere society. All salesmen (not the grocer) and admen, and politicians are liars, and probably Asperger.