Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kindern
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2008, 7:31 am

I am joining the British Navy soon, and whilst entering in for officer training I'm still worried

is anyone else in the military and how have they coped.

I was a Sea Cadet for most of my life and it was a pissing doddle, i had no issues at all and almost felt happier there than anywhere else.

I think it was cos I saw a reason for others authority, they earned it and I could as well.

I dunno but I think half my "fear" is because I'm suddenly going from a child to a legitimate member of society doing something worthwhile and i dont know if im ready

ProtossX
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2008, 7:36 am

Well I think the life of a soldier would be ok, set routines mostly simple, but the people might be a problem I mean somei of the ppl in the miliary hate others who are different and u might get made fun of being an aspie its like highschool times 1000

an ppl might take advantage of u or be a jerk to u if u are an aspie in the military so watch out the guys in the military aren't all nice an friendly ppl

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 7:42 am

I was exempted from military duties (one year of military service was still mandatory) with the following reason: obsessive and immature personality...so right ! :wink:
And it was such a relief...it would have been HELL for me...I could never stand the whole military world, I guess it would drive me to complete insanity/suicide.

Hope you will manage it to the best.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 7:52 am

Kindern wrote:
i dont know if im ready.

why?

i could compare it with this: if i wanted i could start teaching at university, but i don't know if i am ready. but at the same time, i cannot answer the question why i wouldn't be ready. i would be scared to do the first step to start walking on the path, but i believe that once walking there, i would be able to manage. wouldn't you? it's just the first step which is always the scariest.

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
obsessive and immature personality

haha, that's a good one. i also didn't have to do the military service, but it was because my country decided to build a professional army meantime.
very good choice :wink:

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:06 am

tomamil wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
obsessive and immature personality

haha, that's a good one.

Yeah, it was assesed using MMPI (I can't remember which version) and personal interviews with a professional to make sure the "strange" answers given to some items were sincere. :wink:

Kindern
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2008, 8:20 am

im scared because I feel there are aspects of my life i havent really dealt with

its like singing my life away almost

27 Aug 2008, 8:42 am

Since you're diagnosed with AS, they might not accept you because of it. That is what happened to a 22 year old aspie. The article was posted on here.

Seems like to me you have to be perfect to join the army because lot of people get ejected for many reason because of their medical conditions or for their disability, even if you are medication too.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:09 am

military is till now the only thing i whant to do and sinds i heard the news

that aspies cant join the army, i still dont feel like i cant just dont tell them

like its really necesary to know im an aspie and really like the army is so carefull for people

they take more drugs and steroids then people outside the army so why bothering if some one

have some social disfunction people used to join the army years ago as aspie and no one cares tbh <.<

sonny1471
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2008, 11:40 am

I did four years of military service and never really ran into any problems. The only time I ever got in trouble was because my hair was too long. I actually enjoyed wearing the same thing every day and having a routine picked out for me. I only got upset when they would change plans midway through and decide on something else.

Kindern
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2008, 5:29 pm

they will accept me

they said "we will turn a blind eye, if we didn't we wouldn't have anyone on-board"

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 6:11 pm

I'm pretty sure the US military wouldn't want me. I don't think they'll take you if you've been to a psychiatrist in the past 18 months or something. :roll:

The good news is that I guess I have an excuse to not become cannon fodder if there's ever conscription. (In the US, conscription usually means you're going to get sent to fight a real war, it's not a peacetime thing like it is in a lot of other countries.)

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

Kindern wrote:
I am joining the British Navy soon, and whilst entering in for officer training I'm still worried

is anyone else in the military and how have they coped.

I was a Sea Cadet for most of my life and it was a pissing doddle, i had no issues at all and almost felt happier there than anywhere else.

I think it was cos I saw a reason for others authority, they earned it and I could as well.

I dunno but I think half my "fear" is because I'm suddenly going from a child to a legitimate member of society doing something worthwhile and i dont know if im ready

Well, to be brutally honest - that shows that you're over-ready.

Get to it, laddy !

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 7:18 pm

I served in the Singapore military for two and the half miserable years. It is largely a conscript army and the regulars tend to be rentiers who joined because they do not wish to work hard or work at all. None of the officers I met "earned" their right to be there. Mostly you get up the ranks by kissing the ass of the guy in front of you. So an elaborate culture of sycophancy numbs the mindlessness and boredom of a peacetime army that has **NEVER** ever seen action. It is probably different in the British military though. A decorated officer who has served in Afghanistan or Iraq is likely to possess the sort of qualities that I would respect in a soldier. I think the difference is that the British are for real whereas in Singapore we engage in extended and idiotic games of shadow puppetry.

Kindern
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Sep 2008, 8:40 pm

dougn wrote:
I'm pretty sure the US military wouldn't want me. I don't think they'll take you if you've been to a psychiatrist in the past 18 months or something. :roll:

The good news is that I guess I have an excuse to not become cannon fodder if there's ever conscription. (In the US, conscription usually means you're going to get sent to fight a real war, it's not a peacetime thing like it is in a lot of other countries.)

Thank you.

It nice that you can refer to what I am doing as a living as "cannon fodder"

I love knowing that, should I die in the course of duty, I was entirely thought of as a cushion between there gun and you.

Behold my learnt sarcasm, one day I'll be dangerous because I'll learn a useful talent.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:53 pm

Good luck!

I personally wouldn't be able to survive in the military...I'd probably end up like the ret*d guy in Full Metal Jacket : (

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:15 pm

I loved being in the military. I retired at 20 years.