Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 3:34 pm

Now this has come to the forefront quite recently but i guess I have always had it. Do other people really hate calling people on the phone? I can talk to people on the phone thats fine but if I am in a situation where i need to call someone up, like I need information on how I get somewhere. Or just recently i had to call my school up to get my certificates. I completly refused and made up all kinds of excuses not to do it and eventually I sent them an email which is definitly different.

So anyone else had this?

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 3:53 pm

:oops: You are officially not the only one!! !!

kip
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

I have no problem talking on the phone with people, even if I have to ask for something.

Now, leaving messages? I HATE THAT. I can never figure out how to do it! And of course I have to do it at work.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2008, 4:13 pm

I certainly do. For me it's difficult because I especially have to listen more intently to what the other person is saying since there aren't any context clues as to what they mean, that you can get in person. Also some phones aren't exactly the best and therefore produce a poor signal or background static, and I have to work really hard to tune that out while at the same time listening to what the other person is saying and mentally trying to come up with a response to it.

For me it's worst when I have to call my workplace and speak to coworkers or bosses, because I have to deal with not only all the above factors, but also coming across as professional, with using all the correct words and watching the volume and tone of my voice.

That's why I get so nervous just before making a phone call that I can feel my heart racing sometimes. It helps if I have a good idea of what I want to say beforehand, or even something resembling a script, along with considering all the variables of what might happen during the conversation.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:30 pm

Hate it, hate it, hate it. :roll:

Nope, you're not alone on this issue. :wink:

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

Quote:
That's why I get so nervous just before making a phone call that I can feel my heart racing sometimes. It helps if I have a good idea of what I want to say beforehand, or even something resembling a script, along with considering all the variables of what might happen during the conversation.

Actulaly I have found that before i go on the phone if I put on a piece of paper what to say to someone and what questions I should ask it does become a lot easier. My mother does it and she has found that it has helped her trmendasly and now she has no problem calling people on the phone.

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2008, 4:46 pm

Definately hate it , I dont even like picking phones up not knowing who it is at the other end. I stopped having my own mobile phone for this reason. Well, that and I dont really have anyone who would phone me any more.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 6:28 pm

I got used to using the phone, I still don't like it, but I can do it. Sending emails or all forms of asynchronous communication however are nightmares for me.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

RohrbachDS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2008, 6:46 pm

I don't hate talking on the phone... I despise it. I constantly ask my mom to call people for me because... well... I don't know why really, it's just I hate the phone. I think it is the spawn of the devil.

alien842
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2008, 7:03 pm

It's a lot easier for me t talk to someone in person. I hate leaving messages especially because I always say something stupid. If I absolutely have to, I write out what I want to say before calling and try not to stray from what I've written. But it takes awhile for me to write it out and make it sound normal, and I hate feeling bound to that. I just wish I could hold a conversation that doesn't make people think I'm ret*d.

For now I don't have to worry about it. I just moved to a new house and haven't installed a phone line yet, so at least I have a good excuse for a while.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:09 pm

The only people I'm comfortable talking to on the phone are my mother and grandmother. I despise talking on the phone. I never know when it's my turn to speak... :roll:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:26 pm

I don't mind talking on the phone, but I hate talking into people's answering machines. Absolutely nothing I say sounds remotely intelligent.

tielgirl5
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2008, 7:31 pm

I have this problem too. Even when I have to call a friend to get some information, I just can't! I don't know why but I can't bring myself to call anyone other than those in my immediate family. I would much rather send an email or text someone, this way I can review what I said and make sure I said everything I wanted to.

If someone were to call me I check the caller ID first and then I have no problem talking to them, but only if I know them.

xinU
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2008, 7:46 pm

I have no problem with talking with people on the phone if they called. But I can rarely bring myself to call people...

07 Sep 2008, 7:55 pm

I do not mind talking on the phone to my family or to my boyfriend but I just hate to talk on the phone when it comes to other things. I can make a phone call if I have too but I hate having to make one but I have to.
Reason why I hate it is because it is hard to listen and do other things at the same time. I just zone out on the phone as I am reading what is on the internet or watching what is on TV. I just hate having to stop what I am doing just to talk on the phone. I will only use them if I have to use them like making an appointment.

Yes I do hate leaving messages. I mostly hang up when no one is there. I am hard to understand because my voice is too loud or I talk too fast, I stutter because I don't know what to say.

Another reason I don't call someone is because I am too shy but I can call my parents or my boyfriend.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:58 pm

I don't mind talking on the phone as long as everything goes smoothly. I had a conflict with someone on the phone the other day and was hung up on and that stung. I was upset about that and had no idea what the deal was so I had to call someone else and get it straightened out, went into my "everyone hates me why do you do this to me" mode. Usually I resort to that when I don't understand someone else's attitude.