Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:02 pm

I hate it!! !!
Even with people I'm close to, I need them to call me first. Once I'm on the phone I'm able to enjoy myself but I can't make the call.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:44 pm

I used to be terrified of talking to strangers on the phone, but after a few telemarketing jobs (sorry folks, it was that or streetwalking) I got used to it. I can call people now, but I still prefer to send emails if at all possible.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:47 pm

I have a lot of difficulty on the phone, but I am not the greatest conversationalist-- on the phone or not. I freeze up a lot.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:23 pm

I've always struggled with a lifelong aversion to calling people on the phone. And the same goes for answering phone calls, too.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:40 pm

Considering Ive worked in the medical field Ive had to learn how to "do" phone. I even can have the "phone voice". However if someone attacks me or becomes in any way confrontational over the phone I will freak out just as I would face to face.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm

I have difficulty actually understanding and following the conversations if there is any noise or strange language used at all, especially if people are speaking in strange accents. I'm a master of various accents but still find it quite difficult because of how the phone system distorts the voice. Cell phone conversations have been known to put me into a fit of rage that results in the phone be thrown into the wall or onto the floor simply out of frustration. People at work have largely learned that email or IM is the best way to reach me. Small visual notifications are much easier to deal with than loud ringing, garbled voices, and auditory anomalies. -.-

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2008, 3:53 am

I always have the excuse of saying well email is now here why doesn't everyone use that to contact me and me contact them, but my parents keep telling me that i will need to have the phone in business. Why? Email is good enough.

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2008, 4:09 am

Yes, it's always been a problem for me. Years before I knew about AS, I had hypnotherapy to try to make phone calls bearable, because I couldn't call a stranger without bringing on a panic attack. I still find them difficult, and rarely use the phone at home. My girlfriend tends to make phone calls for appointments and stuff - even going as far as pretending to be me. I use the phone at work, but hate doing it with a passion and always get very anxious. I find other people difficult to understand over the phone - their voices are distorted so much. I've never understood how other people can not have a problem with that. I don't know when to speak, I frequently zone out while on the phone, and because I fine it difficult to think on my feet and respond quickly to another person, there are usually long pauses while I think, and other people tend to misinterpret these.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2008, 4:10 am

I very much dislike using the phone to call people. If the only way to find out information quickly is to phone somebody I will ask someone else to do it for me or just avoid it completely. Email and texting are a great deal easier.

heyjude
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2008, 5:59 am

Although I would agree that I don't like to talk on the phone (but could happily text for hours), I seem to have a different reason from the rest of you posting. I can understand the other person but am convinced when phoning someone new that they won't understand me. I spend ages thinking about how to "explain" who I am, what I want etc. even if it's just something very straightforward. So I actually quite like phoning my bank now and doing the "press button 1, press * " thing.At least I know the recording doesn't have me on loudspeaker for the entertainment of the whole office

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 8:13 am

I don't have trouble understanding people over the phone, but because of the distortion I have trouble recognizing people. My coworkers will call me and just start talking without introducing themselves, and I always have to ask whom I'm speaking to.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2008, 9:05 am

The phone isn't distorted to me unless of course they really have a problem with their connection on their end or they are out and about and the wind is very heavy. I don't mind talking to people who ring me(though if there is anyone else in the house I usually tend not to answer the phone).

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 9:34 am

I've only used the phone twice in the past several years.

If pure evil has a form, it's in the shape of a phone.

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2008, 11:35 am

Xercies wrote:
Now this has come to the forefront quite recently but i guess I have always had it. Do other people really hate calling people on the phone? I can talk to people on the phone thats fine but if I am in a situation where i need to call someone up, like I need information on how I get somewhere. Or just recently i had to call my school up to get my certificates. I completly refused and made up all kinds of excuses not to do it and eventually I sent them an email which is definitly different.

So anyone else had this?

i hate it when i must call someone for anything.......i will do the same thing and just procrastinate and make up excuses to myself to somehow rationalize not calling whoever it may be. I normally send emails too...if it comes down to it and i absolutely must call....i'll write things down usually...like i think you mentioned...that usually helps a little at least with the remembering why i called bit....but doesn't really change the way i feel about making the call :shrug: ...my phone bill is very minimal because of it :D ...there are some people i'm ok with calling, but i never really like to just call to talk on the phone...there has to be an actual reason for the call.

i'm ok with texting...but you can't exactly text the district clerk about why you are being sent another jury summons only a few weeks after going to jury duty....or you know...other things like that..

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2008, 4:16 pm

i hate phones full stop! i can't stand the ringing of them & i hate it when its for me. especially mobile phones i find is an invasion on my privacy. i understand phones at work places and that, but i woundn't have one at home.and i can't stand people who ring up just for a chat as i hate small talk. its pointless. :x

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

Aye, I can relate to that. I'm a visual learner and there's nothing visual about talking on the phone. I don't use the phone if I don't have to. I can't always hear what the person on the other side is saying and vice versa. Then I would have to repeat myself and that I REALLY hate.