"Have to" vacuum after someone comes in with shoes

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 4:47 pm

Hey Y'all;

Anyone here have something like this need to vacuum after someone comes in their home and walks around with shoes on?

I live in a culture where it is not the thing to do to ditch your shoes at the door in someone's home, but my wife and I do in ours.

Just makes me crazy when people come in and keep their shoes on.
But, feel like it would be wrong for me to ask them to take theirs off - even my parents.

Don't think it's an ODC "dirty" thing, after all, the cats get to walk around after using the litter box.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 4:49 pm

Umm, apartment manager and maintenance guy were just in, so, guess what I'm going to go do . . . :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 6:43 pm

I've been to many homes where people had up a little sign that says, Please Take Off Your Shoes. If you provide a shelf for slippers and shoes, I think most people would go along.
Maybe it's the Japanese influence on the west coast of the US.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 7:00 pm

Hi;

Thanks for the idea, as it happens, we do, it was actually sold as a shelf thing for CDs, it's right inside the door and has our shoes on it but it's like it is invisible to everyone else.

The sign . . . now that might be the thing to do.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 7:05 pm

I think it's a problem for some people if they don't know in advance because you may have your old holey socks on that day or something, some people have smelly feet. If I know in advance I don't mind, but I wear a nice pair of socks.

I take my outdoor shoes off and wear slippers in the house because I'm on a small acreage and my outdoor shoes can get filthy. I also have indoor dogs, so I have a series of mats and hall runners thru the house, otherwise I'd have a marked 'trail' running thru the house from my shoes and the dogs paws. Because of the series of mats I don't really need visitors to remove their shoes, I just ask them to give them a good wipe and I have 'shoe wiper' mats at the door.

karen12322
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2009, 8:35 am

I lived in michigan for most of my life, and that was DEFINATLY the custom there to take off your shoes when you entered the house. I've since moved down south and it seems that most people let in guests with their shoes on. One thing I got to make sure the floors stayed clean was one of the robotic vacuum cleaners from modernvacuum Let me tell you, it works amazing! Especially if you have a pet as well.