Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rivergoat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2009, 10:10 am

I had quite a few ear infections as an infant and as a result I am permanently 20% deaf in my right ear. I also need 'tubes' put in my ears (so I am told) because I have a permanent pressure problem in my ears. What it boils down to is that in order to hear 'normally' I have to 'pop' my ears (hold my nose, close my mouth and swallow to equalize the pressure in my ears). I only do that when I am REALLY trying to hear something, and the pressure changes back when I swallow again, so I actually go around daily with a sort of 'mute' button on (hearing tests done without such equalization show an avg of 40% deafness in my right ear and 20% in my left ear). I don't mind it at all!

Loud noises don't necessarily bother me, then, but what's weird to me is how my ear seems to have a 'memory' for loud noises. For example, I was walking down the street the other day, and an ambulance with its siren going passed me. I plugged my left ear (my 'good' one), but long after it passed, I could still hear it... until I realized I was listening to (the sound of the siren was enmeshed in) a diesel engine sitting at a red light. If I listen to my headphones at high volume, I will continue to hear certain sounds for hours (sometimes I play video games with the headphones on, and I will still hear sound effects for hours later). Don't know if that's unusual or not.

goat

}:)~

AC132

09 Feb 2009, 1:44 pm

Clashing, clattering noises get to me the most, like if a bunch of cutlery is dropped, not placed, into the drawer. I can't abide shrill noises like whistles or whistling. Air brakes on lorries or buses are really bad, and there is this newish type of whooshing firework that gives me the creeps.

Bangs don't bother me too much, but really loud, unexpected bangs or people shouting very loudly make the skin on the right side of my scalp creep - that is a horrible sensation. It's like my skin is trying to crawl off my skull *shudder*

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 1:47 pm

I've never been to bothered about loud noises but if I'm in a bad mood and everyone is shouting I get pissed off

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2009, 12:34 pm

I hate them SO much, that sometimes I wish I was deaf!! !
I used to hate when I was in Vocational School and the Fire Drill was EXTREMELY loud, like a child screaming in your ear!! !

www.stewartmango.com

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 12:51 pm

Not so much loud, but startling noises used to really, really bother me. When I was a child, the dishwasher and the furnace would make unexpected sounds and I wouldn't be able to stand it.

The vacuum cleaner (the "collector") bothered me, probably because of its higher-pitched, more intense sound than the upright Hoover vacuum.

I seem to have grown out of it, though.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 12:59 pm

When I was young I had that problem but now loud noise doesn't bother me at all.

footprint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2009, 1:25 pm

If im feeling particularly sensitive im easily annoyed by loud noises ive been noticing this more and more, i just though i was grumpy. If i have a job to focus on its no bother I say that as an ex roadie doing sound check and warm ups, i can patch up a midas desk with all hell breaking loose but if im trying to sit and have a coffee I have to go sit in the park.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:16 pm

I can tolerate some loud noises, but people talking loudly or shouting can be difficult to cope with.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2009, 5:13 pm

Yes, loud noises feel like they're physically boring into my head.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 6:20 pm

I don't like certain loud noises. I don't like motorbikes because they annoy me. But I'm funny with loud noises because if there's a continuous loud noise, it doesn't bother me, but if there's a sudden loud noise, it affects me a lot. Loud sudden noises I don't like are sirens switching on, smoke alarms, bells, loud dogs barking, balloons popping, ect. But loud noises that don't worry me are hoovers, lorries and buses, airoplanes, continuous sirens, carnivals, ect. This is because these are all continuous noises. But sudden noises make me jump so much that i feel sick or get a sore throat afterwards because of my high reaction to it which i can't stop. It's taking over my life really.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 6:24 pm

Yes.
The thing that bothers me when I do a vocal stim is the sound.
It scares me a bit.
But I like to put music on loudly.

radicalcrandy
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2010, 1:28 am

Some loud noises bother me a great deal; especially anything unexpected and intrusive to whatever mental task may be at hand at the time. Mostly it isn’t so much the loudness that gets me but the volume, or amount. I can barely tolerate the consolidated sound of multiple conversations like in a crowded restaurant or an auditorium. Also, also the radical shift from tons of noise to near completed silence drives me insane!

EL60
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2010, 5:57 am

Simmian7 wrote:
YES!! ! And a whole collection of loud noises is the worst!
yep try big crowds and waiting for like 15mins in cue like i was last year had headaches and migranes on and off while i was standing in cue it was so painful felt like was going to passout in the cue ah well at least i feel better in my health though

lotsofsnails

25 Feb 2010, 6:55 am

yeh i can't stand sudden loud noises

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:59 am

I'm not bothered about loud noises really - only sudden loud noises. But they don't worry me, they just annoy me all the time. Things like dogs barking loudly, loud motorbikes, smoke alarms, bells, fire engine sirens suddenly turning on, and cars bibbing near me all make me jump which drives me round the bend. They don't worry me, they just irrtate me. Also I get irritated with people's loud coughing or sneezing, especially if they're near me. But other people without AS do aswell - some are worse than me, so that doesn't really count. Otherwise, sound doesn't worry me - I am fine. Smells, lights and people cuddling me doesn't bother me either.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:59 am

I'm not bothered about loud noises really - only sudden loud noises. But they don't worry me, they just annoy me all the time. Things like dogs barking loudly, loud motorbikes, smoke alarms, bells, fire engine sirens suddenly turning on, and cars bibbing near me all make me jump which drives me round the bend. They don't worry me, they just irrtate me. Also I get irritated with people's loud coughing or sneezing, especially if they're near me. But other people without AS do aswell - some are worse than me, so that doesn't really count. Otherwise, sound doesn't worry me - I am fine. Smells, lights and people cuddling me doesn't bother me either.