yes 36%  36%  [ 18 ]
no 52%  52%  [ 26 ]
once in a while 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 50

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2010, 8:01 am

I read a thread like this for the parents but I wanna know about us, do any of us here smoke tobacco products?

I do, its calming. What about you?

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 8:18 am

I admit it. I occasionally do.

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2010, 8:34 am

Never touched the stuff (Not snus either), and not planning to either. I'm 16.

But I know alot of people that snuses that are my age or younger 8O .

PS: Snus is tobacco, usually in a bag, that you have under your upper lip. And it has 40 times as much nicotin as smoke.

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2010, 8:54 am

I chewed once and got sick, never again :roll:

Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:00 am

I've found that most people who smoke would rather not. I've seen some people die slowly of emphezymanmdeaM,EAYKE or however it's spelled. So I'm choosing to not pick up smoking.

Despite it may be useful because I am often stressed.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 9:13 am

I smoke, it's one of the few things I enjoy.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:09 am

I can't believe people still smoke in this day and age.

DogDaySunrise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2010, 11:26 am

Like a chimney ;)

I find it a useful excuse to go running out of my workplace when I need to lol. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it stinks, it cripples your health and it's expensive (although I've hand-rolled for nearly 22 years, which is cheaper but still an unnecessary expense).

I've also watched a relative die from emphysema in his early 50s, it's not a pretty or easy way to go.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:28 pm

gramirez wrote:

I can't believe people are so gullible they fall for all that anti-smoking hysteria. Oh my God! If you smoke, you'll DIE!

As opposed to...eternal life if you don't?

About half of American adults now weigh well over two hundred pounds. Do you honestly think they're any healthier, or likelier to live to 100, than a 175 pound smoker?

How many of the food products that you consume on a daily basis have pure cane or corn syrup sugars in them? Think that diabetes is going to extend your life span?

People die. No one here gets out alive. No one. Not even YOU. 8O You are hurtling blindly towards DEATH even as you read this, and nothing you can do will stop it.

Might be a truck that rolls turning through an intersection and crushes you on the way to the store this afternoon. Might be a disease already hidden like a time bomb in your DNA. Might be a chemical that some schmuck at the cannery accidentally sealed into your food. Might be that bump against the furniture that starts the blood clot forming in your thigh, that'll float loose next month and clog your heart while you're at the movies. The list of possibilities is endless...

You've got a very limited span of years to enjoy on this planet - and there is no guarantee how many you get. The 'future' is a myth - an illusion. The only moment you are guaranteed is the one you're in RIGHT NOW.

Nobody gets to ride all the rides in a single trip, so choose your experiences and don't look back. Some prefer to jump out of airplanes, I enjoy relaxing with a comfortable smoke. The clock keeps ticking either way, and the box awaits. Sleep tight.

Last edited by Willard on 23 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm

I've smoked for the past 10 years and gave up about a week and a half ago without too much trouble. I don't personally buy into all the anti-smoking propaganda, but in my personal experience I had begun to cough way too often and was tired of constantly clearing my throat. It was annoying as hell and if I had kept going it would only have gotten worse. I'd prefer to have a future, and whether tobacco would kill me or not, coughing like hell all the time is gross and would have placed limitations on the kinds of futures available to me.

Some things are just more important than little habitual cravings which don't do you any tangible lasting good.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:49 pm

I do, wish I didn't though. Trying to figure out a way to quit, but it's rough.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

I don't smoke.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

No thanks, too costly $ wise and the smell drives me nuts.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 1:48 pm

I've never smoked, but my mum did.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:16 pm

Willard wrote:
gramirez wrote:

I can't believe people are so gullible they fall for all that anti-smoking hysteria. Oh my God! If you smoke, you'll DIE!

As opposed to...eternal life if you don't?

About half of American adults now weigh well over two hundred pounds. Do you honestly think they're any healthier, or likelier to live to 100, than a 175 pound smoker?

How many of the food products that you consume on a daily basis have pure cane or corn syrup sugars in them? Think that diabetes is going to extend your life span?

People die. No one here gets out alive. No one. Not even YOU. 8O You are hurtling blindly towards DEATH even as you read this, and nothing you can do will stop it.

Might be a truck that rolls turning through an intersection and crushes you on the way to the store this afternoon. Might be a disease already hidden like a time bomb in your DNA. Might be a chemical that some schmuck at the cannery accidentally sealed into your food. Might be that bump against the furniture that starts the blood clot forming in your thigh, that'll float loose next month and clog your heart while you're at the movies. The list of possibilities is endless...

You've got a very limited span of years to enjoy on this planet - and there is no guarantee how many you get. The 'future' is a myth - an illusion. The only moment you are guaranteed is the one you're in RIGHT NOW.

Nobody gets to ride all the rides in a single trip, so choose your experiences and don't look back. Some prefer to jump out of airplanes, I enjoy relaxing with a comfortable smoke. The clock keeps ticking either way, and the box awaits. Sleep tight.

Where in my post did I say anything about health?

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2010, 2:41 pm

Despite what Bill Hicks* might have liked to think, I don't nurse any illusions of eternal life because I don't smoke. That would be foolish. I just think that smoking is stupid because it absolutely stinks, stains your teeth, and may make you much more susceptible to cancer and various other fatal conditions. I don't see why anyone would take the chance. Alright, so we're all going to die. Well done. But that doesn't mean that I want to accelerate it and make the process worse for myself than it might be otherwise. That would be silly, and selfish to people who care about what happens to me. I may get run over by a juggernaut tomorrow, and accept possibilities such as this - but meanwhile I'm going to do all I can to preserve myself, and the health and life I'm so lucky to have.

Added to which, I'm far too squeamish to even consider anything that might result in me needing a tracheostomy . . . :pale:

* I wonder what Bill Hicks would say in retrospect if it were possible to ask him about smoking. Maybe he'd regret it, maybe he wouldn't - but there certainly are lots of people who are really sorry he's gone, and perhaps if he'd looked after himself more, he'd still be with us. It's a shame.