The Onion ridicules people with autism.

Page 7 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

vizioneer
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2011, 3:20 pm

Lol good that some identify with the actor and found it humorous. Just goes to show that it affects people in different ways.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:41 am

Three red cars and a funeral topic

Was this a real funeral, or was it part of the gag? :?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:03 pm

sartresue wrote:

The part about the red cars is a Curious Incident reference.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:23 pm

:lol:

I didn't find this offensive.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 1:13 pm

Dude the Onion is like MAD Magazine. They're equal opportunity insulters.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 1:16 pm

sartresue wrote:

It was all a skit - the Onion isn't a real newspaper, and only includes real news accidentally (or as part of the "American Voices" feature, a spoof of some newspapers' "Man on the Street" interviews).

They also don't mind mocking themselves; when the playoff game between the defending Superbowl champion New Orleans Saints and the losing-record Seattle Seahawks was coming up, the Onion had a story headlined, "Saints Get a Bye In First Round of Playoffs" (normally, a "bye week" is one in which a team doesn't play; "getting a bye" means that a team gets to skip a certain level of the playoff system). After the Seahawks defeated the Saints, the Onion's headline was, "Saints Lose Bye Week."

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 1:39 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
sartresue wrote:

It was all a skit - the Onion isn't a real newspaper, and only includes real news accidentally (or as part of the "American Voices" feature, a spoof of some newspapers' "Man on the Street" interviews).

They also don't mind mocking themselves; when the playoff game between the defending Superbowl champion New Orleans Saints and the losing-record Seattle Seahawks was coming up, the Onion had a story headlined, "Saints Get a Bye In First Round of Playoffs" (normally, a "bye week" is one in which a team doesn't play; "getting a bye" means that a team gets to skip a certain level of the playoff system). After the Seahawks defeated the Saints, the Onion's headline was, "Saints Lose Bye Week."

Onion slop topic

What I find offensive is the mocking of a funeral of a young woman who died from a stray bullet. In reality, this type of death is becoming more and more common. :(

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2011, 1:44 pm

sartresue wrote:
What I find offensive is the mocking of a funeral of a young woman who died from a stray bullet. In reality, this type of death is becoming more and more common. :(

It wasn't a real funeral. That would be inexcusable.

I can't quote Detroit murder statistics like the Autistic Reporter, but in the UK crime is at it's lowest level since 1995. Is violent death really becoming more and more common?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 1:45 pm

RudolfsDad wrote:
Ok, I understand the idea that the Onion is all about humor but this is simply insulting:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/autist ... opl,18983/

Perhaps if enough people complain about this, they'll get the message that this isn't funny.

LMAO! I laughed all the way through that, thanks for posting! :lmao:

If you're offended by this, lighten the hell up. Seriously... :roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 2:07 pm

atindo wrote:
I still am wondering why all of a sudden people are hating on the onion. They have gone too far now that they did a satire on Autism? Where was the outcry with their other satirical articles?

If you think the video was offensive, you may be offended by these gems as well.

link 1

link 2

Certainly not the first time they have done something on Autism:
link 3

My point is the onion has always done satirical articles that are funny and offensive, usually both at the same time and if you dont like that kind of humor why are you even going there in the first place?

Whose hating on it? Lot of us actually find it funny except the OP and midlifeaspie AFAIK.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 2:11 pm

I actually find it offensive when something makes fun of everything but they never make fun of autistics. Why leave us out? I have faced enough discrimination in my childhood. :(

That's why South Park keeps dissappointing me. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 2:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I actually find it offensive when something makes fun of everything but they never make fun of autistics. Why leave us out? I have faced enough discrimination in my childhood. :(

That's why South Park keeps dissappointing me. :wink:

South Park makes fun of autism all the time. They're just non-verbal ... :wink:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Feb 2011, 5:40 pm

oddone wrote:
I can't quote Detroit murder statistics like the Autistic Reporter, but in the UK crime is at it's lowest level since 1995. Is violent death really becoming more and more common?

You're right about that (AFAIK) as incident counts go, but it's what's happening in the incidents themselves which seems to be getting more violent.
What used to be "mere" snatch-style mugging seems now to be knife-related, or worse - gun-related.
Life seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper by the day, and criminal types are much less likely to hold back from seriously wounding or killing someone than say, 15 years ago.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 8:03 pm

oddone wrote:
sartresue wrote:

It wasn't a real funeral. That would be inexcusable.

Bullets gone astray topic

I just googled "Canadians killed by stray bullets in the last 5 years" and while there was no mention of an increase there were quite a few examples of this sort of preventable accident. I call it preventable because when firing weapons amongst people there is a greater than average chance a stray bullet will hit an unintended victim, with the liklihood of fatal and/or serious damage.. To call this collateral damage is reprehensible and irresponsible, and very common in shootout gang related gunbattles.

I know the funeral was a mockup. I just find it callous that such a scene would be included in a comedy gag. :evil:

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 2:50 am

I thought it was pretty freaking hilarious...
"They tried to comfort her by putting their arms around her and slapping her on the back."
Lmao... I have some tears still in my eyes

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 4:25 am

That parents of autistic kids would get offended over something like this only shows how little they think of their own kids. :roll:

I can't really see my mother getting upset over a stranger getting ridiculed (not that she would even get the satire), but I can definitely see her going off about the autistic kids she knows and the weird things they do after watching this video. She probably doesn't realize it herself, but she does that mostly to make herself feel somewhat superior to others.