Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2006, 3:07 am

I often find myself forgetting to swallow, whether it is coffee, soda, gatorade or water. I often take a drink of something and forget to swallow for several minutes. Several minutes later i realize that the fluid is still in my mouth and i then swallow. Does this happen to anyone else?

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 3:12 am

For some reason this made me laugh a lot..

No offence! I just find the thought funny, I do often forget to eat, shower, clean, and various other aspects of hygeine however never forgot to swallow.

Though I can see if you were particularly focused on something else it could happen.

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2006, 3:14 am

It happens to me all the time, i just wanted to know if it was common.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 3:24 am

are either of u diagnosed?

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 3:26 am

Wow that's really interesting. Don't you realise that you need to swallow when you have to start breathing out of your nose though?

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2006, 3:28 am

It doesn't occur to me at all, i don't think of it until i realize that i should swallow.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2006, 6:20 am

I don't do that, but Mom did. She'd remember when she tried to talk, or when the pill melted in her mouth.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 6:35 am

I wonder if you have some kind of missing reflex?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 6:55 am

I could almost see it happening, but NOPE! There is a feeling with having the water in your mouth, and I guess most have it. I do also. So I never forget to swallow. I don't need to swallow to breath though, either.

Steve

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 10:21 am

No, not unless on purpose.. Generally, if I'm eating, all focus is on the eating part.. I'm more concerned not to slop

GenericBrandUserName
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2006, 10:26 am

Sometimes I do it, especially with mouth wash. I'll start swishing it and five minutes later, I realize I'm still swishing it in my mouth. XD; Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with swallowing, but I guess I kinda goes with this.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 11:03 am

I don't actually forget to swallow, but I do find it next to impossible to swallow and do anything else at the same time if the other is something I have to think about to any degree. If I, say, took a mouthful of water and then picked up a pen to write something, I'd have to consciously think about it to be able to swallow before I'd finished writing. Not sure if this is a similar thing. They say Aspie's can't multitask - it seems like that's true for me right down to automatic reflexes. :? If I'm thinking incredibly hard about something, I'll find myself holding my breath for a minute.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 1:23 pm

Does this usually happen when you're distracted and doing something else at the same time? Drinking is a multistep process after all. First you have to decide to drink, then put the cup to your lips, then take it into your mouth, and finally swallow.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Dewclaw
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2006, 11:10 pm

I always swallow. Have you ever sneezed before you swallowed? That would be funny except for the going out of your nose part. No, wait, that would be pretty funny, too. :lol:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 12:29 am

Sophist,

A lot of people talk about this. When I was younger I once did like 7 things simultaneously.(Just trying to see what I could actually do) As long as they didn't require the same skills, I did them OK. Admittedly though, I wasn't comortable trying to do THAT many things. Generally, though, things I have to do like that don't require much thought or can be done almost subconciously. I could listen to the radio, relive the day, chew gun, and drive someplace, for example.

Do so many REALLY have that kind of problem? Is it because they haven't tried to do this sort of stuff before? Some CAN take practice. Trying to have one hand get my car keys from one pocket while the other gets the gate card from the other, or even some car manuvers can seem dificult at first and become almost automatic. I always try to do like 3 things at once. If I could see better, I would be studying languages even as I am trying to solve programming problems.

I guess I shouldn't be TOO surprised. Math is recursive(it can require the same skill over and over for the same problem), and sequential anyway. So I am not as good there as I should be. Because of my age, boredom, time, etc... and finding out about aspergers seems to have strengthened my resolve here, I want to get rid of this problem. As I said too, I would have to work at jumpingjacks. IRONIC!

Steve

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 3:28 am

Dewclaw wrote:
I always swallow. Have you ever sneezed before you swallowed? That would be funny except for the going out of your nose part. No, wait, that would be pretty funny, too. :lol:

Fizzy Coca-Cola up the nostrils is the worst 8O

I've had instances where I have to concentrate in order to swallow properly. Otherwise the food/drink ends up going down the wrong tube which results in alot of coughing and spluttering.