Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

paperoceans
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

My co-worker always taps on my shoulder at work and it freaks me out everytime. I have no idea why it does too. Like you said, anything that I'm not expecting terrifies me. I was supposed to stay at my ex's apt. last month and I was waiting to be let into his building (security s**t) and my back was turned away from the door since I was watching the cars. It opens and jump around SCREAMING. I don't like surprises, LOL.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 12:35 am

Not really, I'm usually so aware of everything going on around me that it's really hard for someone to approach me without me knowing. Loud noises don't normally cause me to jump either, if anything I don't react enough.

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2011, 4:38 am

I am very jumpy, unexpected noises especially.

Living in a generally quiet and peaceful country town I seem to have become much worse in this respect. I'm not sure if the two are related however, but it seems likely. I feel I have adapted to the quiet.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jul 2011, 8:25 am

My mom made the mistake of doing that to me when I was playing Guitar Hero last night, and I swung around to see who it was, and I almost hit her with the little plastic guitar :lol:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jul 2011, 8:26 am

4th of July is hell for me too. :roll:

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

The phone just rang not even 10 minutes ago and it scared the hell out of me. I hate phones.........its like having someone yell BOO unexpectedly or something.

But yes, I startle very easily. Even if I expect someone to tap me on the shoulder it still surprises me and I jump.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

A LOT more easily than I like to admit!
If someone comes up behind me and lays a hand on my back or shoulder, or taps my shoulder, I've been told I jump like I've been shot! (And my Mother is even worse than I am!) I kinda wonder if "dear old Mom" has AS, too?...

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:54 pm

I don't but my mom does.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

I'm very jumpy! Especially if someone or something touches me unexpectedly. I hate when people do that.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:32 pm

I'm not really that jumpy. Usually if there's a loud noise I just stand still and think "what was that?"

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

I startle extremely easily. I usually jump, flail my arms, or tense my muscles.
I had a recent EEG and my neurologist said that while I don't have seizures, I do show an extreme reaction to the photic stimulation (flashing lights). My whole body spasms, and it felt to me much like being quite startled.
I wonder if it's related to that sort of reflex/reaction to other stimuli such as unexpected sounds, or touches, and that's why I have such a physical reaction to being scared.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2011, 8:32 pm

Yep - like everyone else here I tend to startle very easily - and like Verdandi my most common reaction is anger. I've developed a similar thing to the_curmudge so generally I manage to internalise it.

I love the scene at the end of "The Fifth Element" where Ruby Rod gets startled - that's very "me"

I spend a lot of time setting up any mobile phones I have to carry - the tune has to be just the right kind and set to progressive volume increase - so I don't have a fit whenever the rotten things go off.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:21 pm

YES!

But beware, you know the fight or flight reaction?

Guess which one I have. :twisted:

I may have been in trouble when my sisters scared me and I was only reacting naturally. :roll:

annasuzanna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

My reflexes are just extra good :wink:

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
YES!

But beware, you know the fight or flight reaction?

Guess which one I have. :twisted:

I may have been in trouble when my sisters scared me and I was only reacting naturally. :roll:

Ha yes! I warn roommates and family not to sneak up on me if I have headphones on and my back turned, as I am trained in boxing and Muay Thai, and instinct will take over.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

What happens with justjelliot happens with me too...I've learned several forms of fighting through the years and, under specific sets of circumstances have been known to come around swinging. I've been in work situations where I've had to warn 'newbies' that sneaking up behind me is a very bad idea. The irony of it though, is that martial arts has, overall, helped calm the sudden switches into defensive mode...has helped me decrease (though not completely eliminate) the startle reactions. When I don't practice any of the arts, then I tend to startle more frequently -also when I'm overly tired and can't keep myself in 'discipline'.