Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

matsev
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2012, 4:09 am

I've been a chronic "pacer" since I was 5. Often as a child I would spend several hours pacing in a distinct pattern while listening to the same 15 seconds of a piece of music (usually classical) over and over again. Oddly enough, I never thought this was unusual; I still do it as an adult, especially when I am upset or excited about something.

When I was very young, I also liked to pace on table tops.

I haven't heard a lot of reports about pacing, so I was wondering if this is a rarer form of stimming?

-Mat

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2012, 4:15 am

I don't know if it's rare or not and I never thought of it as stimming but I do this often especially when stressed or talking on the phone. I have always paced and as a child in protective custody mildly hit the wall with my fist as I walked along. A lot of it was the stress of not being able to talk. Now it's the stress of having to listen.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 4:33 am

Pacing is a form of stimming and is mentioned fairly often in autism technical literature. I do it a fair amount, especially if I am anxious or talking on the phone.

rchoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2012, 4:56 am

I pace when I'm anxious but that's a pretty common nervous habit. What you describe sounds like stimming though.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 4:59 am

I pace whenever I can't go outside to run my excess energy out, such as late at night or during bad weather. I put my music on and daydream while I pace. I always have to touch the wall on the opposite side of my room and lean into it. I'm always scared that I'm going to accidentally hit my face, but that hasn't happened yet.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 5:37 am

Pacing, like fllipping my hands, was an aspie trait I got bullied for when I was young. So I tried to stop both behaviors. Now I mostly pace when I'm home alone, especially if I'm stressed or thinking.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 7:00 am

I pace a lot, mainly when I'm unsettled or stressed

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Mar 2012, 7:52 am

I don't think it's particularly rare; I do it quite often but especially when I have to wait for something.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2012, 8:07 am

Apparently it's socially acceptable to pace backwards and forwards, but when you pace in a circle you've crossed a line.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Mar 2012, 8:34 am

Psh. My 2nd favourite, and always anti-clockwise.
So I suppose there's no chance for figures-of-eight... :lol:

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

My son used to pace a lot at school. Some teachers had no problem with it, others ... well ... I considered it their problem. LOL! As his anxiety subsided, he paced less, and as far as I know, he no longer does (in school). He's a senior, and at a school that understands him. He still paces when excited. It's part of how he expresses himself!

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

Not so rare.

It's half the reason I got diagnosed with AS in the first place.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Cutlass_Jack
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2012, 9:54 am

Yeah, I pace all the time.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:49 am

I pace when im extremely frustrated but i also do a lot of my otehr stims while i am pacing.
If i am really worried about something important i pace quickly covering the same ground flapping my hands or using verbal sounds (cant give an example).

In a wat this sound similar to your listing to music as you pace.

LongLostSelf
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2012, 11:13 am

My usual form of stimming is I pace back and fourth whilst rubbing my hand in a circle on the top of my head with a sort grimace look on my face. I do it when I'm alone but have been unknowingly observed doing it which has shocked people as I must look like a madman lol

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:15 am

Like others, it doesn't come across to me as rare. It even appeared on an online Aspie test I saw. I do, especially when I'm over-stimulated and need to think.