I finally have a weighted blanket!! !!

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

I really want one of those, problem is they are expensive to buy, and I ain't got the patients or skill to make one :?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

I bought one this year and I can't imagine my life without it! I would think everyone would love them, but my friend slept over my place a few weeks ago and she said it felt like she was being suffocated :( My dad also said the same thing. Do you think NTs really dislike this kind of pressure?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

Who knows, NT's are weird :P

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Who knows, NT's are weird :P

:lol:

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 11:47 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
My friend and I spent most of yesterday making my weighted blanket. Including going to get all the materials, it took nearly 12 hours! It's a 5'x6' 25Lb blanket using poly pellets.

This is the first weighted blanket I've tried and it feels AMAZING! I love the weight and with the materials we used, it's not that hot. The outer side is dark blue cotton with star patterns and the inner side is soft grey fleece The pellets are sewn into 216 squares throughout the blanket to distribute the weight.

My friends is making hers this week. I wanna try both blankets on me at once. That will be 50 pounds!

If you like deep pressure, I'd totally recommend a weighted blanket!

Interesting.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 11:53 pm

tjr1243 wrote:
Cogs wrote:
The purpose of a weighted blanket is to provide deep pressure touch. This releases serotonin and dopamine (neurotransmitters that feel good and are calming). Weighted blankets are supposed to have a similar effect to a firm hug. For people with bad proprioception problems, the additional weight on the body can compensate for this in part making it easier to be aware of where the body is, thus increasing the sense of safety. Additionally some sources of information say that the deep pressure from the blanket can help override or distract from light touch for those with issues with light touch.

They are commonly marketed for those on the autism spectrum due to sensory issues and need for deep pressure. I've yet to find a NT who wants to or benefits from sleeping under 10kg of poly pellets :lol:

That is interesting about the serotonin and dopamine. i have anhedonia and thus little dopamine. Also, emotional pain seems to radiate from the chest or the gut...wonder if the pressure in that area alleviates anxiety and depression.
I find my blanket helps with this, especially when I am trying to sleep at night - sometimes I fold it in half for even more pressure, and I find the weight helps with anxiety (due to the calming impact) and helps short term with depression, but the impact on depression does not continue without the pressure of my blanket. Not a huge difference, but big enough to make my blanket one of my favourite things.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 7:21 am

I hadn't thought about it, but the more weight I have on me the easier it is to sleep. Living in a somewhat cold place, it was only natural to use thick covers all the time.

Once I added an extra cover, but had to remove it because it felt so good I had too much trouble waking up :lol:

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 9:14 am

Shatbat wrote:
but the more weight r but had to remove it because it felt so good I had too much trouble waking up :lol:

Lol, I had that problem this morning. i usually leave at 7:10 to give me time to get some food and still make it to work on time. I woke up today and looked at my clock. "7:50"
CRAP! LOL

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 9:39 am

Shatbat wrote:
...but had to remove it because it felt so good I had too much trouble waking up :lol:

Though I don't use a weighted blanket, I've had the exact same problem when placing heavy objects on myself and falling asleep. In order to not be late to work, I have to apply deep pressure and remove the object(s) anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes prior to sleeping. When I don't have anywhere to go, I just allow myself to fall asleep with the object(s) on myself. My friend found out just how "dead asleep" I can be...

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 9:54 am

Kiseki wrote:
Do you think NTs really dislike this kind of pressure?

Not all of them. I know at least one NT who loves deep, full-body pressure and finds it soothing and pleasant.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.