PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

BorgPrince wrote:
PixelPony wrote:
"Lacks imagination"

"Not interested in fiction"

Both annoy me. How a person can accept that withdrawing into an imaginary world is a common coping mechanism, then accuse those people of having a poor imagination is beyond me.

Consider what you imagine. Is it 90% identical 90% of the time? That is what a "lack of imagination" is all about.

I've got favorite fantasies, sure, but my imagination is wide-ranging. Especially compared with the appalling lack of imagination I've seen in so many NT people.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

thomas81 wrote:
What annoys me the most is people who've watched 'Rainman' once and use Dustin Hoffman's character as a cookie cutter model for how they think all autistic people are supposed to behave.

These people should watch the Temple Grandin movie by Clare Danes. It gives a far more realistic version of common autism and AS.

I was described as the "Rainman of Point" this morning at work. "Point" is the computer program we use. I don't know whether take it as a compliment, banter, or massive insult

allakara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Aug 2012, 6:16 pm

thomas81 wrote:
What annoys me the most is people who've watched 'Rainman' once and use Dustin Hoffman's character as a cookie cutter model for how they think all autistic people are supposed to behave.

These people should watch the Temple Grandin movie by Clare Danes. It gives a far more realistic version of common autism and AS.

i agree, and may i add, Dustin Hoffman's character in rainman doesn't even portray a person with AS or high functioning autism, he portrays a person with Savant disorder which is a totally different disorder.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

allakara wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

i agree, and may i add, Dustin Hoffman's character in rainman doesn't even portray a person with AS or high functioning autism, he portrays a person with Savant disorder which is a totally different disorder.

Well, actually you are incorrect there. Savant syndrome and High functioning autism are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to be both at the same time. In much the same way it is possible to be LFASD and a savant at the same time. What savant syndrome really is is characterised by a prodigal level of ability in a particular area. Many aspies fall under that definition. I've certainly heard and watched about aspies who formally or unformally regard themselves as 'savant'.

One of the problems with Rainman, is that the doctor is clearly heard describing Hoffman's character as 'high functioning' when he is clearly low functioning.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 6:45 pm

PixelPony wrote:
I've got favorite fantasies, sure, but my imagination is wide-ranging.

How can you be sure? After all, 90% of the world disagrees with your analysis.

Quote:
Especially compared with the appalling lack of imagination I've seen in so many NT people.

Are you sure about that? Or is it more likely you are engaging in some form of self-esteem boosting wishful fantasy?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

thomas81 wrote:
allakara wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Well, actually you are incorrect there. Savant syndrome and High functioning autism are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to be both at the same time. In much the same way it is possible to be LFASD and a savant at the same time. What savant syndrome really is is characterised by a prodigal level of ability in a particular area. Many aspies fall under that definition. I've certainly heard and watched about aspies who formally or unformally regard themselves as 'savant'.

One of the problems with Rainman, is that the doctor is clearly heard describing Hoffman's character as 'high functioning' when he is clearly low functioning.

I have a problem with that word. I consider people like Kim Peeks and Daniel Tammet to be savants... "splinter skills", not so much. Peeks and Tammet fall into the category of "prodigious savant" of which there are less than 100 in the world. I think many people who consider themselves savants really shouldn't be considered savants.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
That we're emotionless mass murderers that are ready to snap at any moment is a little annoying.

Yeah, that one is part of the reason that I keep my Asperger's largely a secret.

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 7:30 pm

That our struggles are normal struggles that everyone deals with.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2012, 7:56 pm

Tuttle wrote:
SteffiTheSmile wrote:
Many people with Aspergers have low muscle tone, Aspies are more likely to be weak.

Low muscle tone doesn't mean weak though, it has to do with how floppy muscles are. It's harder to get strength with low muscle tone, but you can be strong and still have low muscle tone.

Exactly, it's harder to get strength, therefore, some are more likely to be weak.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 8:54 pm

I'm also physically stronger than other people my size and sex,

I think the stereotype that we're all sort of like Sherlock Holmes is annoying. I might be observant, but I don't have superpowers.

Also that we lack compassion just because we lack cognitive empathy.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

[quote="OddDuckNash99" I also am annoyed by the predominant FEMALE Asperger's stereotypes out there. I get so sick of hearing how females' special interests tend to not be technology- or science-related. While I do believe there are some definite differences in how AS manifests itself in males and females, I don't buy Atwood's claim about females' special interests whatsoever. :roll:[/quote]

I agree! In a lot of the literature, it says that females are often into literature and animals. Im into math and science as much as any male aspie.

As for aspies being weak. I dont think thats necessarily true, I think aspies are less likely to do physical activities in which you would build muscles such as sports, lifting weights, etc. But an aspie could work towards becoming strong just like any other person. Im actually pretty strong for a female with a small built. But that was because I worked very hard towards that.

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 9:32 pm

Can not be on your own. :roll:
or You have to live in a group home with others just like you. :x

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2012, 9:44 pm

Bubbles137 wrote:
That just because you find it hard to figure out other people's emotions/feelings, it must mean you don't care about them.

agree. this is a big reason why most of my relationships and friendships fail.

Last edited by thehandmedown on 19 Aug 2012, 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:46 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That we all live in our mother's basements and play video games all day.

And whats wrong with that 8)

And mother lives with me btw like Skinner from the Simpsons. :roll:

Last edited by aussiebloke on 19 Aug 2012, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2012, 9:47 pm

Bubbles137 wrote:
That just because you find it hard to figure out other people's emotions/feelings, it must mean you don't care about them.

agree. this is a huge fail in most of my relationships and friendships

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:49 pm

They only enjoy talking about themselves.