Do you let different foods touch?
Yes 57%  57%  [ 75 ]
No 43%  43%  [ 57 ]
Total votes : 132

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 12:03 pm

My mum said that when I was a baby I was so messy with my food that most of it ended up on the floor, no matter how carefully she tried to feed me with the chunky plastic spoon. So I certainly didn't care about things being ''perfect'' then, and I don't now either.

Like they say, it all goes down the same hole!

KillerWaffles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2012, 7:45 am

When I was younger I ate every type of food with a different piece of silverware, so I'd end up needing about 3-4 forks. I really really didn't want my food touching, but nowadays I don't care.

NicoleR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2012, 8:05 am

Most of my foods cannot touch. Things like breaded chicken and chips are okay but liquids or sauces are not. I think that some people, even NTs don't like when their foods touch, my sister had to have everything on seperate plates as a kid and nobody could touch them (this still remains). I hate eating at other people's houses because they don't know how to arrange my food right. The thought of most foods touching nearly makes me vomit.

_DyL_

20 Oct 2012, 11:49 am

arisu wrote:
this is my favorite food:

it's called bibimbap in korean (means mixed rice). it's beef, rice, carrots, spinach, mung beans, eggs, kimchi (spicy pickled cabbage) and cucumber in most recipes, along with some delicious korean hot sauce. usually the ingredients are provided separately and you mix them together yourself. so, clearly i've got no issue with my food touching in general.

that said, i don't particularly like it when seafood and meat are mixed or when different types of meat are mixed (chicken and pork, for example.) i'm starting to get over that.

That's a bit different; that's more a stir-fry type recipe, where the meal is actually mixed.
I believe this is more about when for example different foods on a plate are touching (ie. Steak is touching chips on a plate)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 2:50 pm

It all ends up in the same place anyway, so why get uptight about it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

laserwater

20 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

I do not like foods touching. It's not so bad when it's something like a piece of bread touching a chip, but if it's macaroni salad touching pickles, and the pickle juice mixes with the macaroni salad sauce, it grosses me out too much.
I just push the two aside and ignore the part that got mixed, so I still eat the rest of the food. No sense in throwing it all away.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

Sounds like a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder ( just yesterday Dr. Phil had a lady guest who couldnt allow the yellows and the whites of eggs to mingle without getting suicidal).Not of asperger's.

Some aspies happened to be OCDC, but most are not. And some NT's are OCDC, but most are not.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 10:43 pm

I am autistic, and yes my foods touch. I PREFER that they aren't mixed together (unless it is a mixed dish like a stirfry--I mean like my corn kernels getting pushed into my mashed potatoes--yuck!), but I don't freak out if it happens. I just pick them out, and carry on.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 12:40 am

I don't let foods touch each other on the plate. I want each food to maintain its individual flavor and texture. I also eat one food all at once, then move on to the next.

Is this an Aspie thing or OCD? I have traits of both.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Oct 2012, 3:14 am

I used to really hate letting my food touch, well into my twenties. A former housemate would tease me about it rather frequently, but I just hated the idea of food touching.

At some point, I stopped caring about that. I don't remember exactly when. Some things I'll even mix on purpose.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Oct 2012, 3:16 am

Fnord wrote:
It all ends up in the same place anyway, so why get uptight about it?

Speaking for myself, food texture is a big thing. Mixing certain foods would actually make the texture much harder for me to eat. It doesn't matter if it ends up in the same place when I gag on it while trying to eat, you know?

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 3:27 am

outofplace wrote:
I'd say it depends on the foods in question. If it is two things with very different sauces on them then yes, I do not like them to touch. However, if it is something like turkey and mashed potatoes that share the same gravy then I don't really mind.

This, pretty much. I don't like the juices from baked beans to run into my cole slaw, for example, but aside from things like that, I'm not too fussy.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2012, 6:08 pm

I love it when foods touch and mix. Often times I purposely mix foods together then eat them. One of my favorite combos is peas and potatoes or macaroni and cheese or rice I don't mix them together like on the plate but I you know take a bite of starch and a bite of peas together. sometimes I put my peas on top of my mashed potatoes. I also love to mix pepperoni and sour cream. So yeah I love it when foods mix.

ayla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2012, 6:17 pm

I don't really care, but my aspie bf won't eat anything that is not properly mixed

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2012, 7:07 pm

I tend to mash foods up together a lot of the time before I eat them: eggs and grits, mashed peas and cabbage, curry and rice.