Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:50 pm

MrXxx wrote:
If this is the group you're talking about http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt171706.html it was created by a user here, and is not controlled by Alex.

wrongplanet.net has no control over what happens there. Facebook groups are pretty much free for alls unless the creators monitor it a lot, and choose to do anything about what goes on there. The moderators here on WP have nothing to do with it.

Oh i see...no wonder that place is messed up
you shouldnt allow them to use your Brand Name
Looks like a case of plagiarism

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

Well what I'm about to say is from my point of view as a person who uses the Wrong Planet Facebook group daily and has quit using this forum several times.

The difference between the Facebook page and this forum is that we have worked hard to create a sense of community. I appreciate this makes it hard for some newer members to integrate as there are a lot of inside jokes going on, but as long as people introduce who they are we are extremely friendly and accepting (after all, we were all new members once, I've actually only been there for about 4 months but already feel welcome and safe). We talk about a mixture of serious and not-so-serious issues, which helps keeps the group light-hearted and positive.

We're not perfect, there are arguments, but when things go wrong we have extremely good group moderators who (unlike this site) work hard to resolve the problems between members rather than just deleting posts and pretending they never happened.

Yes, discussions of this site and some members sometimes come up, after all, we were all members of WrongPlanet.net at some point. But can you blame us? I mean, what's going on right here is the exact same thing.

Through this facebook group I have made at least 30 good friends and even found someone who I am now romantically involved with- which is far more than this drab forum has ever done for me.

If you don't wish to partake in the group, I kindly suggest you leave as there's no benefit to sticking around if you're not enjoying it.

Thankyou.

Last edited by AJCoyne on 01 Dec 2012, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

Would also like to state that Wrong Planet is not copyrighted and Facebook groups are not subject to copyright laws anyway.
If it were a page it would be different, but as a closed group there is no problem with us using the name Wrong Planet.

Last edited by AJCoyne on 01 Dec 2012, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WrexhamCanuck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2012, 6:12 pm

Agreed with everything AJCoyne says here

I have been a member of this group since February 2012 and I have made a number of great friends here and had a brief relationship with one of them (after which we have remained great friends).

Some of the stuff that has been posted in this thread I find to be an insult to the community spirited group that I am a part of. I don't post here often because I find forums less interactive than Facebook groups but I thought I would keep it short and sweet with my point here.

Thank you

Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 6:16 pm

namaste wrote:
The wrongplanet group on facebook really sucks
people write absurd comments there
sometimes its too vulgar
just a peep there makes me wanna delete myself from that group
but its totally different here why the contrast

I personally don't see anything wrong with "vulgar" but, again, I don't personally see anything wrong with the types of discussions we have. Everybody gets along just fine, and someone dropping a few f bombs or mature discussions isn't going to cause us any emotional trauma. I apologize if you think otherwise, I live in the 21st century where it doesn't offend me. Alot of what goes on is real issues we face and honest questions, we joke around alot, yes, but it's mostly inside jokes and none of it is malicious nor intended to be. It's alot smaller of a community and everybody knows everybody as opposed to here, I've been a member since 2008 and I've made a grand total of 2 friends, 1 of which I haven't spoken to in god knows how long. It's too big and for the most part it's just limited to seeking advice from strangers, which, is fine.

I prefer a smaller group, and I like talking to autistic people, so I use it. The fact that it's even called "wrong planet" is moreso a coincedence than anything to me since the two pages are essentially different, it just spawned from members who got sick of this place like 2 years ago or something I think. I quite like it, honestly, I've met and been good friends with a good 30 or so people. I guess it's pretty easy to find autistic groups just by the name, so nobody gave enough of a s**t to change it, because then it'd be pretty much secret. :(

It's better than listening to people in their mid-life crisis blaming their failed marriage on suspect asperger's and the dreaded omg i hate nts dey ruin my life ill nvr find luv!!!11 crap I have to put up with here. :roll: Quite frankly I prefer friends and community to soothing the insecurities of strangers, but, to each their own.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 6:37 pm

Dear who it may concern,

We of the WP on Facebook are deeply sorry that our tiny group does not meet up to your expectations. We only meant to create a smaller more mutual environment for those who wished to get more close with people who face similar difficulties as them throughout their everyday lives.

We do not mean anything by using WP as our logo but it makes the group easier to find for those on the forum who wish to seek us out.

Our group's audience is towards those of the ages 18+ so I guess our group is a bit mature vs your standards. There is a bit of swearing but that's to be expected since Facebook was originally meant to be used by 18 year old adults and didn't start changing its audience's age until later so that people who are younger could create an account on there as well. If the swearing bothers you there is always the 'On the Spectrum' group which is another featured group ours is affiliated with and it is run by a different set of mods where less drama and language is likely to happen.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 6:45 pm

Aimless wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Try "On The Spectrum", Namaste, it is not like that at all and in fact was created as a reaction against the sophomoric pee pee poo poo nature of the regular WP page.

Can you give us an address? I would sure like to be on a forum that is much more private.

Not sure how to do that. If you're already on FB I would put On the Spectrum in the search bar. Alex is a member incidentally and there are a lot of WP people there. I'll ask administrator Mandy what the best course of action is; I'm not sure if you have to be added by a member of the group or not.

Just a note:

As you can see at the top of the group below the profile pictures its a secret group.

People have to be added directly to there and it wont show up on anyone's search unless they are a member.

I understand some people may have a problem with this but some members dont want their name to be linked to autism because it can cause trouble at jobs and whatnot.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2012, 6:49 pm

I whole-heartedly disagree with this post. The Wrong Planet group (from Facebook) is nothing like this 90s like forum.

As the lovely AJ Coyne said, the term "Wrong Planet" isn't copyrighted or under the Creative Commons License. It's a Facebook group, so it's not subject to copyright laws. So quiet down, Aspies and Auties and NTs.

Also, as the awesome Wrexham Canuck has said, the members are close to each other. We're great friends. Some of what you've posted here is insulting to the group as well as it's members.

@blue_bean: No we do not. The group has no affiliation with the forums whatsoever. Just because we happen to use the same phrase as you doesn't mean that we use your picture. Going back to what AJ Coyne said, the phrase isn't copyrighted. So stop. This isn't plagiarism. The only link that we have here is that we've found each other through this forum. That's it.

It seems that most of you were past members of the group. You claim that we badmouth members, but you're badmouthing a group (group (noun): a number of people or things that are located close together or are considered or classed together). There's people in this group. And we love each other.

Thanks for listening.

Oh... And our mods are better. KTHXBAI.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 6:50 pm

There are three major players in this Wrong Planet Group thing, the one mentioned in the OP is one of them, and it caters to the ones that like an uncensored, random environment. I reserve further opinion on said group. The other two major players have their privacy settings on secret at the request of the membership of both groups, so it would be inappropriate to mention them in a public section of the site. The most I will say is one is geared towards support, and the other is geared toward discussion of ASDs and thought provoking ideas.

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:55 pm

There are many aspie groups that branch from Wrong Planet. Some are "vulgar". Some are clean. There's something for everyone out there, so if you're looking for support/socializing, there's probably a group that fits your needs. A large majority that I know of are secret or closed, so it may be more difficult to find them. Ask your WP friends on FB to add you to some groups. Try them out and see which ones you like. :)

For anyone interested in On The Spectrum, it's a secret group. Secret means that no one else on FB can find the group, see that you're a member, or see what you post. Privacy to vent and talk about life is a big thing for me. Most members are either on the Wrong Planet forum or were participants at one point.

This is our mission statement:
"This is a support group for adults and younger members seeking serious topics that are on (or suspect they are on) the Autism Spectrum. The mission of this group is to support each other through various chapters in life such as university, love, sex, employment, friendships, finances, and various other situations we face on a day-to-day basis. The tone of this group is for open, serious discussion. We hope to promote a supportive tight-knit atmosphere for our members and encourage friendships.

This will be lightly moderated. Simply try to use the golden rule and be respectful of each other's opinions. This includes refraining from laughing at, judging, or mocking another member. Let's focus on building each other up.

As not everyone is open about their AS status and we know the knowledge could cause complications with families, friendships, and employers via Facebook, this group will always remain private."

If you're interested in being added to this group, send me a PM. :)

axey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2012, 8:40 pm

Yes the group may be vulgar but the only reason it is so is because the members like it to be that way. The group is naturally going to go the direction the people want it to go. There are several different groups if you want to take a different stance. The people there are quite friendly and welcoming really. As many people have said as long as you don't be openly confrontational there isn't an issue there. The people are rather supportive when needed and there is a very homely attitude given there.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 12:48 am

I see that this forum has just gotten worse since I left three years ago. You should really be happy to have such an awesome Facebook group being associated by name with this dump. We're kind of shooting ourselves in the foot by keeping the name. :P

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 1:06 am

I was a member of the wrong planet facebook group and quit. It made me feel like a dirty old man.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2012, 1:22 am

If this place wasnt so full of the same fights over and over and the same bad Mods and the same questions over and over i might have stayed. As it is this forum is lame and boring. I much prefer the group therapy we have on facebook! Come over to the dork side. We have Pi.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:19 am

I dunno. This site compared to Facebook: Both of them I have had (minor) issues with mods, having to block/get enraged at certain people, get irritated with bugs, glitches, or format issues of the site.

I like PPR subjects much better on this site, along with how the structure on here.

There is more of a community feel for the facebook accounts, quicker to chat. But that also means people will show you more of their craziness. PM, I should have considered your warning, which we both knew I wouldn't.

And saw some comments about this site sweeping stuff under the rug, deleting topics and comments. That hasn't happened in the groups before? Really?

Other comments on how Facebook does better at moderating. This site recently got 2 more mods, and from what I have seen are well qualified members. Some people have strong negative opinions about some of the mods, well a lot of them were asked to moderate the Facebook groups also.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 9:04 am

The WP groups on facebook were created last year when WP itself was having a few problems with crashing. There are different ones, some are more fun, some more support focused. It's just an extension to this community for people who use facebook. Although I met quite a few people on WP, somehow it was only when the groups started that I felt I really got to know people, some of whom have become very important friends in real life as well as online.