Page 5 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 12:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
At no stage has DSM ever been linked to public funding.

then why did they tighten the criteria?

Exactly, this has politics written all over it. There's no good reason to change Asperger's Diagnostics other than political reasons, especially since it's worked for people who can't support themselves. I think this has to do more with money than anything.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 12:44 pm

Jaden wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Exactly, this has politics written all over it. There's no good reason to change Asperger's Diagnostics other than political reasons, especially since it's worked for people who can't support themselves. I think this has to do more with money than anything.

I suppose it is a viable theory, though I have not seen any evidence pointing to that and the revisions makes sense to me......not sure how its tightening the criteria seems like a pretty loose criteria. I mean all it says is you have to have the impairments related to autism to be diagnosed with it. Its not like they are getting rid of aspergers and leaving the classic autism criteria as is......they are revising the autism diagnosed to include various levels of functioning but instead of useless terms like Aspergers it will be considered autism. All 'Aspergers' is, is the name of someone who 'discovered' it but its always been a form of autism throwing someones last name in there does not really help specify things if you really think about it.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 3:11 pm

High functioning autism and AS will share the same name in the future and the huge majority of people with AS ruling now this planet, will also rule the public picture of high functioning autism in the future. Whether I like it or not, whether I feel I can identify with the rulers or whether they represent the autism as I perceive it, I still have to live with it and I promise to do my best.

I try to remember myself and hope that also the future autism advocates in here will remember that the majority of autism isn’t the same as the majority in here. Actually majority of autism isn’t represented here at all. So let’s not forget them and let’s try to understand each other, even if it’s hard and even if those windows face the world from the other side of the building.

Especially when a person with a more severe form of autism and thus with a very different social understanding finds a way here, let’s not turn against autism then either and push her or him away with at then actually surprisingly typical social acts coupled with a very typical intolerance towards something different – as happened in the case of Autisticnintendofan. I am very saddened that even many of those who loudly preach of their AS here and take pride in being autistic, can’t really face and tolerate autism in (and in its) reality.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

I'm really not that bothered because I already got re-diagnosed with ASD. It's not a demotion at all, that was poor wording on the OP's part. Not all people with HFA have IQs over 100 but that doesn't make us any less special.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Dec 2012, 7:04 pm

VisInsita wrote:
High functioning autism and AS will share the same name in the future and the huge majority of people with AS ruling now this planet, will also rule the public picture of high functioning autism in the future. Whether I like it or not, whether I feel I can identify with the rulers or whether they represent the autism as I perceive it, I still have to live with it and I promise to do my best.

I try to remember myself and hope that also the future autism advocates in here will remember that the majority of autism isn’t the same as the majority in here. Actually majority of autism isn’t represented here at all. So let’s not forget them and let’s try to understand each other, even if it’s hard and even if those windows face the world from the other side of the building.

Especially when a person with a more severe form of autism and thus with a very different social understanding finds a way here, let’s not turn against autism then either and push her or him away with at then actually surprisingly typical social acts coupled with a very typical intolerance towards something different – as happened in the case of Autisticnintendofan. I am very saddened that even many of those who loudly preach of their AS here and take pride in being autistic, can’t really face and tolerate autism in (and in its) reality.

^^^^^

This sort of thing happens entirely too frequently here.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:28 pm

VisInsita wrote:

Seems wherever I go, there's always people chomping at the bit to shun "ret*ds," "losers," and anyone not "like them."

It makes me depressed.

It's a real pity since several of the "ret*ds" I've met have treated me better than many NTs. Therefore, I have no compunctions against being seen as "autistic," or people mistaking me for one of those awful, horrible "low-functioning" types. :roll: Besides, even without the "autistic" label, I'm still a 5"10, clumsy Yeti with bizarre interests, an indeterminate sex, who most people think is unforgivably stuck-up.

Dear World:

Please be informed that, as of today's date, XFilesGeek, of her own volition, voluntarily casts her lot in with the "ret*ds." She has endured numerous slings and arrows, and adding a few more will not make a lick of difference. The normal, intelligent, pretty people are welcomed to keep their pristine society, and XFilesGeek will no longer presume to sully their greatness with her filthy presence anymore.

Signed,

XFilesGeek, "Autistic," impaired, learning disabled, and utterly unrepentant!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Last edited by XFilesGeek on 04 Dec 2012, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jaden wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I suppose it is a viable theory, though I have not seen any evidence pointing to that and the revisions makes sense to me......not sure how its tightening the criteria seems like a pretty loose criteria. I mean all it says is you have to have the impairments related to autism to be diagnosed with it. Its not like they are getting rid of aspergers and leaving the classic autism criteria as is......they are revising the autism diagnosed to include various levels of functioning but instead of useless terms like Aspergers it will be considered autism. All 'Aspergers' is, is the name of someone who 'discovered' it but its always been a form of autism throwing someones last name in there does not really help specify things if you really think about it.

I see what you're saying but at the same time ALS (for example) is commonly refered to as Lou Gehrig's Disease, and despite it having the same symptoms of any other form of sclerosis (debilitating), people know exactly what it is, and no-one has thought of revising the names or diagnostics for it's stages simply for that reason either.
It's understandable that most would think the term "Aspersger's Syndrome" doesn't say much, and moreso because no two cases are alike, but that's not going to change just because the diagnostics do, so there's really no point other than political reasons IMO.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:33 pm

Welcome to The Autistic Brotherhood folks! Some of us call ourselves Auties. So feel free to use that as your cutesy little name from now on:D

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

PDD-NOS is the majority diagnosis on the autism spectrum. What will happen to people diagnosed with PDD-NOS when new criteria published? It seems that most people with autism or AS will meet ASD criteria, but that might not be the case for some (many? most?) people with PDD-NOS. There is much media about AS going away, but why so little about PDD-NOS? Aren't parents worried that their children with PDD-NOS will lose services? I dunno about K-12, but colleges usually require up to date diagnoses to provide accommodations.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

According to newer diagnostic models, you are either passing or failing at fulfilling prevailing, social constructs. If Asperger's was somewhere in between, autism is technically a demotion -- even though the terminology might be completely arbitrary.

I would frankly not be the least bit worried about appearances, or about my rhetorical "demotion," except for that it might affect my independence.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 2:59 pm

The term "demotion" carries the implied message that autistic people are somehow "less" than those with (the now defunct) Asperger's Syndrome.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 3:02 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
According to newer diagnostic models, you are either passing or failing at fulfilling prevailing, social constructs. If Asperger's was somewhere in between, autism is technically a demotion -- even though the terminology might be completely arbitrary.

I would frankly not be the least bit worried about appearances, or about my rhetorical "demotion," except for that it might affect my independence.

What if these said social constructs were to change (perhaps as a result of a dramatic shift in national culture, attitudes, or even socioeconomic standing within a country)? Would this not call into question all those previously diagnosed on such a basis?

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:39 pm

Like many others I take exception to the use of the word demotion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:52 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

Since people with aspergers will still fall on the autism spectrum like they already do since aspergers is a type of autism, I don't see how it can possibly be a demotion.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 9:14 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
PDD-NOS is the majority diagnosis on the autism spectrum. What will happen to people diagnosed with PDD-NOS when new criteria published? It seems that most people with autism or AS will meet ASD criteria, but that might not be the case for some (many? most?) people with PDD-NOS. There is much media about AS going away, but why so little about PDD-NOS? Aren't parents worried that their children with PDD-NOS will lose services? I dunno about K-12, but colleges usually require up to date diagnoses to provide accommodations.

No because their is a new Social Communications disorder, so these children will still be labeled as being disabled. People with PDD-NOS will likely meet the qualification of either ASD or SCD. Also the majority of those diagnosed with PDD-NOS qualify as having mental retardation under DSM V.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 7:13 am

I do like the term aspie, though since it IS on the spectrum, I don't have a problem with them dropping it. I checked and I still meet all the new criteria.

So, if I tell anyone what my kids have, do I still say PDD-NOS or just say autistic?