Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2012, 3:41 pm

well here on wrongplanet i have noticed several people have mistaken me for male. i am wondering why. is it my user name? i actually dislike babies, i just thought it was funny. is it the content of my posts or the way i word them?

seatbeltblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 4:00 pm

I think people on the internet tend to assume everyone's a dude, white, and American.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

:) true dat

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:34 pm

People mistake me for a guy because of my nickname. Wish I hadn't chose it really, but at the time I didn't think, I got it from the name of a character from the 70s what my mum and her sisters still watch, a skinny character was named Joe-90 and I kind of admired that nickname so I just used it on here. But I do put my gender in my signature, to make things easier for others.

I always worry that people here might think I am so gay that I'm a male in denial. I am not a male at all. I've just got a nickname on WP only that might be mistaken for a male.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

do you mean jo from the facts of life? i love that show

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

I've been here since 2010 and some people STILL think I'm a dude.

No matter.

"Gender" is not particularly important (to me).

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Dec 2012, 8:36 pm

I check gender on profiles before using pronouns.

It seems a lot of people just assume everyone is male until proven otherwise.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

I've always thought it's because masculine pronouns also function as gender-neutral pronouns, and feminine pronouns exclusively as feminine. Like how in French "elles" is only used for all-female groups, whereas "ils" is used for everything else; from mixed groups to groups of unknown gender composition.

It seems rather strange to me to assume people behind posts look a certain way unless they specifically state something related to that. If you assume people are white and male would you also assume they have their hair done a certain way, wear certain clothes, etc?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm

I've been mistaken as a male on IMDB.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 1:35 pm

I noticed something interesting earlier today. I have a friend in crisis and I called a bunch of women's shelters and hotlines and things trying to get help, and I'm a sort of middle-of-the-road voice, gender wise, but DRASTICALLY more people gave me female pronouns when I was trying to help someone else in crisis than in any other situation I've ever been in. I get "ma'am"d occasionally in other contexts (maybe 5% of the time) but I think at least 3/4 of the people I talked to this morning assumed I was a woman.

men are the "active" ones, eh? :roll: from what I can tell when s**t needs to happen because someone is hurting or needs help, you're better off with a woman, and people are going to assume you're a woman if there's any room for ambiguity and you're trying to do something nice for someone else.

but then I'm sort of biased in that I rather resent the roles assigned to me because of my biological sex...it's just funny to notice how when I'm helpful, in a service role, being thoughtful, or anything like that I get "ma'am"d a lot more often. and as soon as they notice I'm male they freak out like calling me "ma'am" was some HUGE insult. it usually brightens my day for hours after the fact, to be honest. women make the world go round.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 1:54 pm

Maybe it's because even Aspies are falling prey to the erroneous view that Asperger's is predominantly a male condition. :?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 2:14 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Maybe it's because even Aspies are falling prey to the erroneous view that Asperger's is predominantly a male condition. :?
There is a significantly higher percentage of people that are males on this site than females (don't know the actual percentage though)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 4:08 pm

A lot of people think I am a guy as well. If I am not sure of someone's gender I click on their profile and check.

Also Joe 90 is this the programme you are talking about actually titled Joe 90?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gtpks_0V3U[/youtube]

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm

Delphiki wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
There is a significantly higher percentage of people that are males on this site than females (don't know the actual percentage though)

That's probably because all the research has been done on males, females present slightly differently and usually face a much bigger challenge to get diagnosed and recognised as Aspies. Therefore there are probably many undiagnosed females out there who have never heard of Asperger's and wouldn't even know of the existence of Wrong Planet!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 5:49 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

No matter.

Oh sorry - I thought you were male

Mainly because you have a photo of the X Files actors and a lot of males like the female actress
(can't remember her name)

and also because you have sometimes interacted with me in a sharp, abrupt sarcastic manner that I associate more with males than females

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

nessa238 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

No matter.

Oh sorry - I thought you were male

Mainly because you have a photo of the X Files actors and a lot of males like the female actress
(can't remember her name)

and also because you have sometimes interacted with me in a sharp, abrupt sarcastic manner that I associate more with males than females

No problemo. 8)

Like I said, for whatever the reason, most people think I'm a dude. I've been told I come off as "aggressive" even when I don't mean to, so that might be part of the issue.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)