Anyone else never get sensory overload.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you have issues with sensory overload?
Yes I do. 72%  72%  [ 52 ]
No I don't. 28%  28%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 72

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2012, 6:53 am

No, I don't think I ever had an sensory overload before. I mean, there have been times if I was in a loud, crowded restaurant, I would get a pit in my stomach and my eyes would get watery. Other than that, I never really have sensory overloads.

platypi2
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

This is one of the things I've always known was "different" about me. I didn't know anybody else who turned socks and tights inside out to avoid the seams, or cut tags out of clothes. Or went batty over the flicker and buzz of fluorescent light. Or jumped at any sudden noise. Or got dizzy in supermarkets and malls. Or got nauseated listening to other ppl eating. Or have jangly nerves all day after passing a subway musician playing a dissonant instrument. Or couldn't sleep in summertime because sheets aren't heavy like blankets. It was totally a revelation to find that I wasn't the only one who was bothered by stuff like that.

I guess the issue is I don't acclimate to things like NTs do, and just get used to them. If I notice something, I can't UN-notice it, and it just bothers me more and more until I can't stand it any more and have to fix it or get away from it. I think the biggest difference now is that I am more aware of the signs earlier on, and am able to look for a way to remedy the situation before I hit overload.

Stress is also a HUGE factor. All my senses get cranked way up if I'm under stress. That's probably true for most, I would guess.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2012, 12:10 am

I get sensory overload from having too much honest facts are thrown at me at once.

Im not good when trying to study and loud music is being played around me

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Dec 2012, 12:27 am

I don't know what it's like to not be overloaded to some extent. I just do not live in an environment where I get enough peace for any length of time, and my own hobbies actually contribute to the overload.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2012, 12:57 am

I don't really know what sensory overload is. I mean, sometimes I'll just firmly and frequently loudly, tell people to be quiet because noise can get to me. I think that this can happen to anyone though... maybe I do more though... I'm just confused when it comes to stuff regarding sensory overload. Touching + noise can be even more frustrating. I just don't really know how it's all defined.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Dec 2012, 1:08 am

For me, loud noises can be disorienting and effectively shut my brain off. Bright lights make it very difficult to see and give me severe headaches - my migraines dropped significantly when I found my sunglasses again (lost for years :( and a hard to find color that is the only one I really like) and wore them during the day and inside stores. Certain scents (say, cleaning supplies, perfume, cologne, cigarette smoke) can be like walking into a wall.

Also, there's a more gradual overload as things are too much but not enough too much to be dramatic, but as they reach a critical point, it becomes harder and harder to process sensory information properly. That can happen with the above fairly quickly, but when it happens more slowly I am more likely to not realize it until it's seriously messing with my functioning.

Paleonerd21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2023, 8:29 pm

I haven’t really had problems with sensory overload much.

LegendOflink235
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2023, 10:57 pm

Oh yeah, all the time. Especially in areas like grocery stores, public parks, and dont even get me started on where I was in the school cafeteria.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 8:36 am

Depends what is meant by sensory overload. I often feel overloaded by my surroundings, but hardly ever to the point where I absolutely have to escape. I don't like being in crowds but I can cope with them if there's a good reason. Background noises can mess up my concentration, which was a problem when I was working (noisy teenagers), and I would usually leave the room so that I'd be able to think coherently about my work, but I don't think I'd have died if I hadn't left, I'd just have been uncomfortable, angry, and unable to work effectively. I have a strong sense of entitlement to reasonable comfort, so I've usually got shut of the sensory issue before it's had a chance to really upset me, so I've never really put my vulnerability to a strong, sustained test.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Aug 2023, 7:06 am

Yes.
In my thirties, I finally found an explanation to my "crying for no reason" in various situations all over my life.
Now that I understand it, I can care for myself. Earplugs in public transport make a world of a difference to me.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>