Too Many Feelings You Can't Control or Express

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 1:14 am

I know everyone seems to think Aspies have blunted emotions, but I feel the exact opposite! I get so, so overwhelmed by all of the things I feel, but I don't know how to express them to other people. I feel like everything comes out wrong or vague and the true depth of my emotions can never be properly relayed. I sometimes have fights with my close friends or throw tantrums (despite the fact that I am 33 years old). It's childish, isn't it?

What is everyon else's experience with this?

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 2:43 am

I am similar in some ways, but I rarely get in fights and I never have tantrums. It's so much worse when I cannot accurately express my thoughts and feelings to others. Most people do not seem to understand, they don't take me seriously, don't care, and I feel like nobody will ever know what's really going on with me.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2012, 4:42 am

I, too, am similar. My emotions are soo strong and they overwhelm me easily. I'm trying to learn to look at my emotions objectively with my psychiatrist, and make a list of things to do when I'm experiencing a certain emotion. Problem is that the emotions come soo fast and are so overwhelming that it takes a while for me to be able to look at the list.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 5:00 am

I find I express my feelings TOO MUCH to people, especially close relatives like my mum.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 5:03 am

I know quite a lot of diagnosed people who also agree that we feel too much emotion. I have always said, my problem is not a 'lack of' emotion, but more that I struggle to say 'this is a sad feeling' or 'this is a happy feeling'. That's simplifying it a bit (happy sad and angry are all I can actually recognise!) but that's how I explain it. I often feel strong emotions but I am unable to put a name to it. I have been told that this makes me 'frustrated' (when other people say I am frustrated I either say angry or sad!). The more unknown emotions start going round and round in my head, I end up getting what I call 'swirly feeling'. It feels like I am feeling millions of emotions and it's like they have all been thrown into the washing machine that is my brain and are rotating round and round until I end up having a meltdown! Don't be embarrassed about your 'tantrums' I would highly suspect that your 'tantrums' are actually meltdowns.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2012, 5:27 am

I can't recognize a certain emotion that I'm feeling most of the times. I often feel only the physical reaction that it causes, but I can't link it to an emotion. I often must ask people, usually my mother. For example, if I feel a pain in my stomach, and my heart starts beating faster, I must ask my mother what emotion causes those physical reactions. In this case, she usually aswers that it's anxiety. The only overwelming emotions I experience in my life are anger and happiness, that I learned to recognize because I experience them quite often, and by now I know the physical reactions they cause.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 12:11 pm

I can't express what my emotions are and put a name on them. I feel my emotions come at once but might not feel them just sometimes as if all the power comes at once.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 1:19 pm

this idea of us having blunted emotions comes from external observers.

i also have quite strong emotions, which i cannot express properly, therefor i appear to have little to no emotions, which is where the stereotype comes from

TommyGun991
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2012, 4:45 pm

Well, normally I seem pretty phlegmatic. But on the inside, wow, I'm too emotional for my own liking. A lot of things makes me want to cry, a criticism, an argument, pretty much every little uncomfortable experience. I'm always so worried whether I've handled a social interaction in a non weird way, anything where I have to go to talk to people or fill out forms makes me sick. I HATE filling out forms and talking to people who handle them. Generally, I'd describe my perfect mood as melancholic.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 10:41 pm

Well of course i have emotions. im just not very fond of them to be honest, when you dont understand them, it can easily overwhelm you.

Its like today actually i was out shopping, then there was something my mom would like from the store but they didn have it, some electric feet massage varmer thing.

Okay that sucked. then i decide to go an get it in another place 5 miles away give or take, in this snow storm that we have today, sure it was a challenge but i made it.

Then she starts getting all oh thank you thank you, you didn have to do that and wants to hug and everything, i really dont get that, nor do i like it. I dont even expect or want to be thanked. i just want to help and that was that.

Emotions are really wierd, especially when people wanna hug, kiss you or what no. that can throw me totally off. 1 meter around me thats my personal space and i hate to have it invaded.