Do you ever feel down cause you say stuff that's inappropria

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2013, 1:30 am

Do you ever feel bad/depressed after you unknowingly say something inappropriate knowing you can't help it? :oops:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:36 am

Sometimes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:38 am

It depends on how inappropriate it was.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:50 am

If people get mad at me or pull the silent treatment on me for it, then yes I will feel bad for people getting mad at me, and sad for getting the silent treatment. I find the silent treatment to be somewhat immature. At least tell me that you didn't like the comment.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2013, 1:58 am

aspiemike wrote:
If people get mad at me or pull the silent treatment on me for it, then yes I will feel bad for people getting mad at me, and sad for getting the silent treatment. I find the silent treatment to be somewhat immature. At least tell me that you didn't like the comment.

Me too! and the silent treatment is kinda dumb, I agree.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:57 am

I went through a period where I'd feel very bad after realising I had hurt someone's feelings by saying something inappropriate. Sometimes, I wouldn't even realise it until hours after I had made the comment.

In my childhood and teenage years, I was mostly oblivious to how some of the things I say were 'inappropriate'. Nowadays, I've arrived at a point where I take care to avoid saying things that either actually are inappropriate, or that could be construed as inappropriate. But even when something slips out of my mouth that hurts the other person's feelings, what I try to do is apologise immediately if I notice the person feels offended. If by then we're still not 'cool', then there's not a lot more I can do.

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2013, 5:21 am

I feel terrible. And it lasts. I can feel terrible about things I said more than twenty years ago.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 6:54 am

hey_there wrote:
Do you ever feel bad/depressed after you unknowingly say something inappropriate knowing you can't help it? :oops:

Not down. But it has probably contributed to social anxiety and preferring to remain quiet for fear of doing it again.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 7:10 am

it indeed depends on what it was, and who heared it.
if i truly offended/hurt someone with the comment, i indeed feel bad and apologise as soon as possible.
however, if it was just 'general'inappropriateness, like some politically-incorect generalisation, i dont really feel a lot.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 7:23 am

No, because in my opinion all I say it's perfectly ok and normal. Only other people think that what I say is inappropriate.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:31 am

Something similar happens often. But it's mostly when I say something inappropriate that makes me look weird or dumb rather than when I say something that hurts other people's feelings. I feel embarrassed and down because I feel the weird thing I said would isolate me even more. It could last a long time.

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

I feel down sometimes as when I do say things others deem as inappropriate its still the damn truth! It's only inappropriate to others as they are trying to protect their B.S. social illusions and rituals. They are also protecting their emotional states. Picasso said that if you can imagine something, it's real. That's b.s. in my opinion. There is a reality independent of you, not just inside you. We as aspies show people the reality outside of people. If people don't want to see or hear that, that's their ignorance, but that ignorance of reality shouldn't be also transferred onto us aspies as people as well.

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2013, 9:56 am

I feel upset when people say they are hurt by my comments, but not everyone tells me I'm doing something wrong. And than it's very hard to figure out why they don't what ot engage with me anymore. Today I had an encounter with a person I know and she pointed out a couple of things I said the other day which offende her. I said I didn't mean it in a bad way. I had no idea. She doesn't know I am not an avarage person. Things get very ackward when you have to tiptoe around people. Her daughters felt the same way as her she said. May this is why friendships crash around me.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

I sometimes say stuff knowing it's inappropriate, just to see peoples' reactions :D

Like I was just at a focus group earlier today asking us for opinions on urgent healthcare
and I disclosed my Aspergers and also dropped the fact I'd used mental health services
into the conversation just to see what impact it had on the other people there.
There's this classic 'worried' look people get on their faces when you mention the
words 'mental health' in conjunction with yourself - it's amusing!

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

nessa238 wrote:
I sometimes say stuff knowing it's inappropriate, just to see peoples' reactions :D

This!! Same here.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

SandsOfTheSoul wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

This!! Same here.

Lol

I don't say really outrageous stuff, just stuff that I know typically makes NTs uneasy and only in certain situations where I
feel relatively relaxed enough

It's better than worrying about whether you've said the wrong thing anyway - assume you have and make a game of it!