where you mix in with special need kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:00 pm

so, I am more ''lower level autism'' person than some aspie here.
when I was in school, I went to classroom with nt and classroom with special needs student.
I was also in ''special PE'' and ''normal'' PE.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm

I was home-schooled some; then in my last two years of high school I went to this tiny private school where most of us had some disability or another. It wasn't really a special needs school, but it might as well have been, because most of us had special needs and parents who didn't want us in the public school system.

I wish I'd had some real special ed--occupational therapy, maybe. There were so many things that I needed to learn that I wasn't taught because my mom didn't want me "labeled" as autistic, even though it was probably painfully obvious. I couldn't take care of myself very well... I still can't, really. I didn't have my first friends until I was already an adult. I didn't know how to switch from one task to another or how to do complex projects.

But because I was "too smart to be disabled" (there is no such thing--plenty of disabled people are smart) I was denied the extra help I so badly needed. After struggling to survive on my own, I first got hospitalized, then kicked out of school, then homeless and sleeping on a friend's couch for a summer. It wasn't until a doctor recognized that I was autistic that things started getting better for me. Apparently, it's obvious to them within fifteen minutes.

I feel like I ought to be mad at my mom for refusing to have me evaluated, and I suppose I am, a little; but she really thought she was doing the right thing. Getting mad at her for that feels like I'm kicking a puppy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

I was in a ASD program for the last two years of high school but I only fit in with a couple of the other higher functioning students.I took alot of regular classes and was in a few community college classes.I was always too normal to fit in with most of the SPED kids and too weird to really fit in with the normal kids bascally my friends were the same way.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm

I really didn't fit in when I went to a school for Aspies.

I normally get on best with NTs who have more autistic traits than most.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm

I failed second grade "for social reasons" and bounced in and out of "special ed" the rest of my school years until I quit school in 10th grade and later took my GED.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

Valkyrie2012 wrote:
I failed second grade "for social reasons" and bounced in and out of "special ed" the rest of my school years until I quit school in 10th grade and later took my GED.

I was held back in preschool for social reasons, but I never ended up in special ed.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

I wen to a special school when I was 3-5 and did fine there. I was then in special ed full time when I was six and seven and I had lot of friends in that class and i did fine with them but in mainstream class I went to for music, library, and PE, I was an outcast and lot of kids didn't like me. Very few did. Ones who acted like my friend also claimed to not like me and I found that confusing. Maybe they were my friend out of pity.

Then I mainstreamed special ed and was in mainstream class full time from second grade until 6th grade, then 9-12. I was in the special ed room all day long when I was 13 and 14 because I thought it was the only way I get extra help with my school work but I still went to main stream for school activities like choir, PE, art, script writing, and current events.

I seemed to fit in with special needs kids better than regular kids. But I didn't belong in that one class I was in when I was six and seven and it was a mistake on my parents part and the school. It took me to come home and scream and then say it was school behavior for my mom to know she had to get me out of that class. But in mainstream class I got bullied more. At least in special ed full time, very few picked on me. Lot of normal kids left me alone.

Sometimes you can't win with your child about their education. Put them in special ed, it will hold them back and learn inappropriate behavior, put them in mainstream class, they are at risk of being bullied and singled out and treated different. Only gray area I an find is homeschooling but that isn't an option for all families. Unless they can find some special school for kids like them and that way everyone would be high functioning and have the same issues and struggles.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 11:54 pm

No I wasn't low functioning, only very low functioning people were in Special Ed here.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 12:01 am

I tended to mix well with most of the minorly learning disabled kids, possable spectrim, ADHD kids etc. I had nothing in common and no working relationship with the more severly disabled ones though. Went to school with the normal classes though for the excepton of one grade.

Last edited by rapidroy on 01 Apr 2013, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 12:04 am

In all my schools I was with the normal kids. During my stay in a psych hospital, however, they felt it best to group me with the special needs patients.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:09 am

I did my first two years kindergarten as a "neighbourhood kid" in a special needs kindergarten for visually impaired and similar kids. Me and the daughter of family friends went as we would benefit from the social interaction and it meant I could start a year early at 4 instead of 5.

I loved it. I could not understand why I was not allowed to stay.

I later ended up in special needs PE because I didn't sit or walk normally.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:27 am

billiscool wrote:
when I was in school, I went to classroom with nt and classroom with special needs student.

Yep. Mobile / prefab classroom as far away from the other classrooms as possible. Separate recess. We didn't have any mixing going on within that classroom. It was like we were all under quarantine. We were to go nowhere near the NT's and vice versa.

I remember the comedian Chris Rock doing a routine about this.
Talking about the "crazy kids" classroom they weren't allowed to go near. And how the crazy kids always rode in a little as* school bus and the crazy kids always went home a couple of hours earlier.

I've never been able to find it on youtube. But I was laughing my head off when I heard it on the radio. It was interesting hearing how my situation appeared from his perspective.

Then for the 7th grade / middle school / high school they sent me here:
http://www.theoakhillschool.org/

And even in that school I was placed in a segregated classroom. :lol:

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:15 am

billiscool wrote:

Your 3 years younger than me, they didn't have that much resources for Autism back then.
I was in special ed along with regular classroom until end of 3rd/beginning 4th grade when they put me in regular.

High school i did non-regents (at the time we could do nonregents and get a diploma)
We had no such thing as "special PE" yet the teacher my junior year they made a PE that almost was full of art room/AV squad/Drama club folks as we were no atheletes so that worked out well =)

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

When i was younger i was in a special needs school for people on the lower end of the spectrum this was because i had late speech however when i turned 8 or 9 years old my speech improved therefore went to primary school for 2 days and combined the special needs school as well after that went to secondary school at 11 years old i would say got on best with high functioning people as i could understand them best.