Stimming. What does it feel like to you?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2013, 10:09 am

Normal circumstances(most of the time): calming

When excited: lifts mood a lot

When stressed: helps keep stress levels down as much as possible.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

I'm quite a noise maker; I beatbox, tap and drum on tables, click pens rapidly, snap when I walk and any combination of those. I lick my moustache a lot too. I'm aware that it looks weird to people passing me by, but I honestly don't care, it helps me think. Most of these I do at work since I'm always pacing about and looking for something to do. It is like background noise for my thoughts.

SirReality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2013, 10:53 am

It's definitely a release for myself, as well. Like someone mentioned on the first page of the forum, it makes my body "feel right." It's like there's a pressure build-up throughout my body and when I begin stimming, the pressure leaks out and I'm calm again. I do this mostly with finger flicking or hair twirling, or tracing letters and objects with my eyes.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 10:59 am

It doesn't feel like anything, it's just what I do.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

I like the rhythm of stimming. I need to stim, It seems somehow linked to my breathing and heartbeat.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:02 pm

ExceladonCity wrote:
I'm quite a noise maker; I beatbox, tap and drum on tables, click pens rapidly, snap when I walk and any combination of those. I lick my moustache a lot too. I'm aware that it looks weird to people passing me by, but I honestly don't care, it helps me think. Most of these I do at work since I'm always pacing about and looking for something to do. It is like background noise for my thoughts.

ahaha I used to beatbox constantly lol. In fact I was constantly being set to the headteachers office because I couldnt sit still and would be banging on tables. This turned into extreme teeth grinding when I realised I had to curb my excesses. Then later on the beatboxing started. I also sometimes do things like humming along to my piano playing - this is not an affectation though im sure some might assume so. I dont realise im doing it aha. I can relate to the moustache thing too lol I love the texture :lol:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:17 am

It's kinda hard to say, since most of the time I don't realize I'm stimming. But when I am aware of it, it's kind of a release. I'll feel this buildup of...something, I don't know what...in my chest. When I stim, at some point I'll get this electric shock feeling and then a relax after. It's almost an orgasmic-type feeling, although not nearly that intense. But it's the same idea.

I'll get this same sensation when I have to make a decision on something...whether it's going to a restaurant or something as simple as drawing Scrabble letters. I know when I've made the "right" decision when I get that release in my chest.

I never realized I stim as much as I do until I started making myself notice it. I rock (standing or sitting) whenever I'm in some kind of negative mindset -- angry, anxious, impatient, afraid, irritable -- but that's FAR from the only thing I do. Bouncing my leg, shaking my foot, twirling my wrist, clicking my teeth, clicking my fingernails, wiggling my fingers, stroking my skin, chewing my cuticles...need I go on?

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

Gayspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2013, 4:40 am

hi,
I will stim by biting my hands sometimes and rocking on my bed. it is a release to cope with school stress!! !

cheers :)

Last edited by magz on 22 Dec 2021, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.: Personal data removed

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2013, 8:48 am

I'm not sure what constitutes stimming. I pick my lips a lot. Constantly being given out to for it by my family. I rub my neck or face or tap my feet, pace when I am alone mostly, the odd time I would rock. I am only beginning to notice these things now as I was only recently diagnosed so I am not sure in what circumstances I do it or the difference it makes if I didn't

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

Like breathing.
It's just something I do without thinking about it or trying most of the time.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:50 pm

I just do it. It's more natural for me to do so.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:24 pm

Not much, really. :?

It's just me being me.

Autism_Us
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2013, 9:59 pm

My fiancé stims, especially at night in bed! He kicks and jolts. It wakes me up every time and I have to rub him so he will wake up a little and stop. He also stims with his fingers. He doesn't realize he is even doing it most of the time I think. I am surprised he doesn't wake himself up at night.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 11:04 pm

Autism_Us wrote:
My fiancé stims, especially at night in bed! He kicks and jolts. It wakes me up every time and I have to rub him so he will wake up a little and stop. He also stims with his fingers. He doesn't realize he is even doing it most of the time I think. I am surprised he doesn't wake himself up at night.

That's interesting that he stims when he is sleeping.
I wake up flapping my fingers all the time. I don't know whether I stim in my sleep, or start stimming upon awakening, or stimming woke me up. I didn't know if it was even possible to stim in your sleep.

bearsandsyrup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2013, 12:00 am

Stimming just feels right. Like I'm stretching a taut muscle or scratching an itch. Not stimming makes me very anxious and just feels bad.