Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 5:20 am

http://www.newsdaily.com/article/7b0b6c ... vile-abuse

So it turns out that the BBC staff were aware of the abuse. This isnt the first time ive seen people turn a blind eye to abuse. Just look at how Hollywood closed ranks to protect polanski. The abuse of children is villified as the worst possible crime however. 99% of people NT or otherwise will concur that an adult abusing a child is a crime of the worst order.

Yet in the right circumstances those same people calling for paedophiles to be lynched/tortured will look the other way to further their own career or to curry favour or for whatever personal motives.

It doesnt inspire me with any confidence in the morality of the world at large.

This behaviour (imo) arises out of groupthink mentality.. NT's tend to value conformity more than autists probably because of the autistic difficulty in understanding social mores as well as the fact that autists are gnerally relegated to the fringes anyway.

Ive seen groupthink at work on these forums just as much as in the NT world however so this is not an NT vs Aspie thing at all

Last edited by binaryodes on 19 Jan 2014, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2014, 5:34 am

deja vu lol

yes sadly this behavior isn't new the Milgram experiment also the bystander effect document and show this type of thingyes sadly this behavior isn't new the Milgram experiment also the bystander effect document and show this type of thing

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 5:52 am

As someone who is purely autistic and has spent nearly his entire life surrounded by other autistics,
what applies to NTs also applies to autistics along these lines.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Jan 2014, 5:56 am

Moral hypocrisy is universal. I see just as much of it from autistics as I do from NTs.

This particular case, with so many people protecting the man responsible, you very likely had many who were not NT by any reasonable measure participating in the cover up. This is similar to what happened with Sandusky at Penn State.

This specific kind of situation, which is repeated in many contexts by many people in many places, is more relevant to the fact that for some reason, it is difficult to get many people to take rape, sexual abuse, molestation, etc. seriously. Or find ways to blame the victim, or pretend that the accusations are false. I have seen autistics engage in this specific kind of victim blaming so it is certainly not something that we are immune to.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 6:15 am

EzraS wrote:
As someone who is purely autistic and has spent nearly his entire life surrounded by other autistics,

Yehh I think I quoted you the other day as having mentioned that you went to an autistic school. I mentioned that you didnt find autistics any morally superior

I think that the main argument used to try and claim that aspies are an elevated breed is that 1) were innately repulsed by immorality 2)weve been persecuted so much that we would never inflict what weve suffered on anyone else.

1) hasnt been verified by any studies at all - this is either apocryphal or totally fabricated/both
2) Persecution can produce hatred and vengefullness. There is a lot of that about for NT's - I feel it too dont get me wrong. In general I view NT's as being a maleficent lot but I know that this is just a warped perception due to my experiences

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 7:50 am

binaryodes wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Yehh I think I quoted you the other day as having mentioned that you went to an autistic school. I mentioned that you didnt find autistics any morally superior

I think that the main argument used to try and claim that aspies are an elevated breed is that 1) were innately repulsed by immorality 2)weve been persecuted so much that we would never inflict what weve suffered on anyone else.

1) hasnt been verified by any studies at all - this is either apocryphal or totally fabricated/both
2) Persecution can produce hatred and vengefullness. There is a lot of that about for NT's - I feel it too dont get me wrong. In general I view NT's as being a maleficent lot but I know that this is just a warped perception due to my experiences

Well I don't know about scientific studies, just personal first hand observation.
There was plenty of picking on and bulling that went on amongst my autistic classmates.
They were just as human as anyone else along those lines.
Also, having spent several months deeply enmeshed in two large teen forums, I have
seen that there are plenty of NTs who are not spared anything that would be inflicted on
an aspie. Ironically some of the people I know who are aspies there, do quite well, including myself, whereas I have seen many NT kids get picked to pieces.
None of this stuff, in my observation, such as hypocrisy, morality, cruelty, kindness etc etc
is divided between NT and AS. And that there are multitudes of NT people who's life is just as difficult, are just as ostracized and whatever as AS people - or worse. NTs who struggle with
bullying, prejudice, depression, loneliness, self harm issues, problems with drug and alcohol addiction and so on. Then there are all the NTs who are homeless and living out of dumpsters.
What some AS people seem to have in mind regarding NTs is a stereotype of an elitist all star living in a house with a white picket fence and has all the things an Aspie is denied. Or something like that I guess, Im still trying to sort it all out - obviously :P

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 8:25 am

EzraS wrote:
binaryodes wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Well I don't know about scientific studies, just personal first hand observation.
There was plenty of picking on and bulling that went on amongst my autistic classmates.
They were just as human as anyone else along those lines.
Also, having spent several months deeply enmeshed in two large teen forums, I have
seen that there are plenty of NTs who are not spared anything that would be inflicted on
an aspie. Ironically some of the people I know who are aspies there, do quite well, including myself, whereas I have seen many NT kids get picked to pieces.
None of this stuff, in my observation, such as hypocrisy, morality, cruelty, kindness etc etc
is divided between NT and AS. And that there are multitudes of NT people who's life is just as difficult, are just as ostracized and whatever as AS people - or worse. NTs who struggle with
bullying, prejudice, depression, loneliness, self harm issues, problems with drug and alcohol addiction and so on. Then there are all the NTs who are homeless and living out of dumpsters.
What some AS people seem to have in mind regarding NTs is a stereotype of an elitist all star living in a house with a white picket fence and has all the things an Aspie is denied. Or something like that I guess, Im still trying to sort it all out - obviously :P

I concur. What marks NT's out additionally is the fact that their personalities and identities are filtered through their social environments. Much of who they are is dictated by the "Horde". Independently you'll notice that tytpically hypersocial gregarious boisterous NT types become more subdued and tend toward a more contemplative mindset. The hypersociality is the nub of our differences

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 9:41 am

EzraS:

Thank you for your post. I had always been taught that Autists "lack prejudice, don't lie, are inherently kind," etc. But what I am inferring from your post is that it's all a matter of who is in the majority group. Is that correct?

I lie and deceive others far less than many of my NT peers, but I have great NT friends who are honorable and wonderful people.

I could be a liar, a cheater, a manipulator, I suppose....but one reason why I am not is because I simply am bad at it, because I lack ToM and can only think in black/white, all/nothing patterns which don't work for the assessment of human behavior.

EzraS, I have come to respect your observations. Are my assessments true to your experience?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 11:22 am

binaryodes wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I concur. What marks NT's out additionally is the fact that their personalities and identities are filtered through their social environments. Much of who they are is dictated by the "Horde". Independently you'll notice that tytpically hypersocial gregarious boisterous NT types become more subdued and tend toward a more contemplative mindset. The hypersociality is the nub of our differences

Im not sure what all those terms mean tbh.
I do know some aspies who also will talk the ears off anyone
they get a hold of, like right in your face while nudging you.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
EzraS:

Thank you for your post. I had always been taught that Autists "lack prejudice, don't lie, are inherently kind," etc. But what I am inferring from your post is that it's all a matter of who is in the majority group. Is that correct?

I lie and deceive others far less than many of my NT peers, but I have great NT friends who are honorable and wonderful people.

I could be a liar, a cheater, a manipulator, I suppose....but one reason why I am not is because I simply am bad at it, because I lack ToM and can only think in black/white, all/nothing patterns which don't work for the assessment of human behavior.

EzraS, I have come to respect your observations. Are my assessments true to your experience?

I am sorry to inject, however, I see "lieing, cheating, manipulating" to be actions I would not do, because I regard them as trivialities. Intellectually, it would be a violation of who I am.

I am not so simple-minded as to engage in trivialities. I tell my mom, "I will let you know when I am lieing to you". :D

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 11:48 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
EzraS:

I guess so. I mean i laughed out loud loud when I read your first sentence and thought,
"not where i went to school".

JSBACHlover wrote:

yeah that is pretty much how I feel i guess and deal straight for those reasons.
But I can be rude and hurt people on purpose with pure honesty.
Sometimes I am passive aggressive. Not "doing anything" in a way that I
know bothers someone. I can be a jerk just like anyone else in my own way.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2014, 11:58 am

Let me ask a question.

How is making blanket statements (ones I might add has been the general consensus of the 'herd') about a populous any less moral hypocrisy than the example you have pointed out?

Rather than going on an angry ego trip, why not ask yourself the questions of why would any person do those things. What is the purpose? What would motivate someone to believe another is innocent? What would motivate someone to turn a blind eye? What would cause someone to abuse someone else? What could be done to motivate people to do the opposite of the poor behavior? How could I help do that? What is the pattern? What are the differences? What are the positions of the people involved? How does social behavior weigh against moral conviction? How was power used to help/hinder the situation?

Those questions are far more intelligent questions to be asking. Especially when you obviously don't know the answers to it outside a jaded view that "NTs" just do that because of herd mentality.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

kicker wrote:
Let me ask a question.

How is making blanket statements (ones I might add has been the general consensus of the 'herd') about a populous any less moral hypocrisy than the example you have pointed out?

Rather than going on an angry ego trip, why not ask yourself the questions of why would any person do those things. What is the purpose? What would motivate someone to believe another is innocent? What would motivate someone to turn a blind eye? What would cause someone to abuse someone else? What could be done to motivate people to do the opposite of the poor behavior? How could I help do that? What is the pattern? What are the differences? What are the positions of the people involved? How does social behavior weigh against moral conviction? How was power used to help/hinder the situation?

Those questions are far more intelligent questions to be asking. Especially when you obviously don't know the answers to it outside a jaded view that "NTs" just do that because of herd mentality.

I presume you're squaring up rhetorically to me ;-). I think that its scientifically accurate to state that NT's have a herd mentality. Whats at fault here is the Definition of her mentality. When I say this im not referring to lemmings but rather chimps. Nt's (the "average NT") exists in a social order whereas autistics tend to value the wider social environ alot less. There are exceptions but in broad terms this defines both our groups

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm

Reposting locked or deleted posts or threads is against the rules.

As was previously stated: this is a support site for people on the autistic spectrum. It is not a site for hating on NTs and accusing them of anything and everything bad that ever happens in the world.