Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

Do you ever feel like it is everyone else who is missing things or whose thinking is strange?

See people tell me I say weird things or that I am weird, odd, different, strange, eccentric, unusual...but to me it's other people that do not make sense, not me. I make perfect sense...to myself anyway. But then I understand my own logic, so I would.

People say I misinterpret them but I think they misinterpret me.

People can sometimes tell me off for doing things wrong and half the time I don't know what the hell I have done. I can't ask them either or they think I am being cocky. So I will get obscure or cryptic comments like "This is NOT!! !! the way to make friends". What is not the way to make friends exactly? I don't know if they have noticed but I have not made any friends in real life for 20 years...If I knew what the way to not make friends was I'd be not be doing it already.

I'd swear sometimes it's the rest of the world that is just bizarre and not me...I know I am supposed to blame myself but sometimes I really don't see it. I only go by the list of complaints people have about me otherwise I'd be oblivious. I still am some days when I have not been in contact with the rest of the world and its strange behaviours!

I don't really feel like I have an illness either, my quirks have always just been a part of me. It is really hard to see my quirks as a disorder or potential disorder when to me they are just a part of my nature and always have been.

I have always just been me..quirky me.

Yes I noticed I was different, or felt I was (even if I don't know how exactly) but all the same...A part of my brain wants to reject the notion that there is anything wrong with it. Anyone else feel the same?

Pastanoodle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2014, 2:46 pm

NT's aren't functional to me. I mean if they're so much more adept at life than autistics, why is the world they run such a mess? I'm convinced that NT's are the eccentric ones here. Their social games don't make any sense and just lead to chaos. If autistics ran the world it would be so much more logical and compassionate. I wonder who is really lacking empathy here. I feel like the only same person in a world of crazies.

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2014, 2:58 pm

bumble wrote:
.I know I am supposed to blame myself

Why? Who told you that?

I completely agree that "they" are the ones who are messed up!

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm

What I've learned is that NT people LOVE to project their own insecurities onto other people. So anything NT people say is wrong with you, it's most likely what's wrong with them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

bumble wrote:
Do you ever feel like it is everyone else who is missing things or whose thinking is strange?

Definitely. Emotional thinkers. Can't stand them. That's not really "everyone else," though.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 3:40 pm

starkid wrote:
bumble wrote:

Definitely. Emotional thinkers. Can't stand them. That's not really "everyone else," though.

That is true, feel free to substitute the words 'everyone else' for 'sometimes other people' or similar.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm

bumble wrote:

Yes. I find neurotypical thinking in general, to be irrational, illogical and to create unduly complex situations that only hinder the accomplishment of specific goals.

Their thinking also assumes that anyone who thinks differently is automatically wrong, and if they are ultimately proven to be right, they're a bad person for having pointed it out. :roll:

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

Oh yes...could the "neurotypicals" please pull their noses out of the phone, the tv, the sports, the internet gaming, off FB, out of their shopping for unnecessary items, away from the jewelry and the nail salon, out of their $... & get real!
Self centered?
Self involved?
Egocentric?
Shallow?
My "friends" in the real world are neurotypical.
My ability to communicate is fading (for reasons I will avoid for now) and where are they?
Busy. Every one of them. Is this how they keep friends?
Mute friends would not have these issues!
If I'm coming across bitter, I apologize. I am bitter. Not at auties.
They wanted me to talk. It's work. Never enough to please them.
They implied my life would be better if I learned their social skills. It hasn't been very much.
So, you young ones...do be careful!
We don't MAKE friends, we EARN Friends. ;)

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 7:06 pm

bumble wrote:

Yes, my entire life

Pastanoodle wrote:
NT's aren't functional to me. I mean if they're so much more adept at life than autistics, why is the world they run such a mess? I'm convinced that NT's are the eccentric ones here. Their social games don't make any sense and just lead to chaos. If autistics ran the world it would be so much more logical and compassionate. I wonder who is really lacking empathy here. I feel like the only same person in a world of crazies.

^Exactly

Soccer22 wrote:
What I've learned is that NT people LOVE to project their own insecurities onto other people. So anything NT people say is wrong with you, it's most likely what's wrong with them.

^This

Willard wrote:
Yes. I find neurotypical thinking in general, to be irrational, illogical and to create unduly complex situations that only hinder the accomplishment of specific goals.

Their thinking also assumes that anyone who thinks differently is automatically wrong, and if they are ultimately proven to be right, they're a bad person for having pointed it out. :roll:

^This too

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:53 pm

I've ALWAYS felt this way...and I still do, more and more. :?

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:31 pm

In my opinion, some posts in this thread perfectly depict why the term 'Neurotypical' shouldn't be used. It's as if there is some kind of war between two imaginary groups and everyone's taking sides.

Almost every thread with reference to neurotypical behaviour on this forum involves an attack from at least one person. I'm aware that autistics and others with disabilities are often victims of individuals they perceive to be 'neurotypicals' but if that's aforethought I find this to be a typical case of 'You committed a crime, therefore I will against you and have eye for an eye.' Either that or people with ASDs do indeed have the group mentality that most claim they do not have.

When arguing on the basis of logic, it helps if you don't post something that in itself is blatantly illogical. Just like autistics, not all neurotypicals are clones. Acting as if they are clones is no different than the person that argues all people with Asperger's must be serial killers or 'Rain men'. Based on what I've read on this forum that wouldn't be a popular opinion to have. Most people on this forum dislike being stereotyped, so why would anyone here stereotype someone else?

The fact of the matter is that everyone must be a little bit eccentric, even if in some it's more obvious than others. Who are you comparing yourself to when you think you're strange anyway?

EDIT - Just thought I should add this wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

Last edited by Norny on 12 Feb 2014, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:59 pm

bumble wrote:

See people tell me I say weird things or that I am weird, odd, different, strange, eccentric, unusual...but to me it's other people that do not make sense, not me. I make perfect sense...to myself anyway. But then I understand my own logic, so I would.

People say I misinterpret them but I think they misinterpret me.

People can sometimes tell me off for doing things wrong and half the time I don't know what the hell I have done. I can't ask them either or they think I am being cocky. So I will get obscure or cryptic comments like "This is NOT!! !! the way to make friends". What is not the way to make friends exactly? I don't know if they have noticed but I have not made any friends in real life for 20 years...If I knew what the way to not make friends was I'd be not be doing it already.

I'd swear sometimes it's the rest of the world that is just bizarre and not me...I know I am supposed to blame myself but sometimes I really don't see it. I only go by the list of complaints people have about me otherwise I'd be oblivious. I still am some days when I have not been in contact with the rest of the world and its strange behaviours!

I don't really feel like I have an illness either, my quirks have always just been a part of me. It is really hard to see my quirks as a disorder or potential disorder when to me they are just a part of my nature and always have been.

I have always just been me..quirky me.

Yes I noticed I was different, or felt I was (even if I don't know how exactly) but all the same...A part of my brain wants to reject the notion that there is anything wrong with it. Anyone else feel the same?

I agree. Aspies are often rebuked because they do not perceive that there are NT social games at play, or when they do perceive them, it is usually not in their nature to play. I find that the goals of the games are usually illegitimate, and the games deserve to be regarded with contempt, anyway.

Last edited by Stannis on 12 Feb 2014, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

i agree with most that has been said also one thing that's annoying i seem to notice is its always ok for everyone else to get emotional or upset about something but when ever i do its never ok also i have no time for the psychological mind games most people seem to thrive they just seem pointless