Do any of you excel at certain social interactions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 6:47 am

My question is this - do any of you excel at certain types of social interaction? If so, what sorts of situations?

I work at a smoke shop as one of my jobs - I work about 86 hours a week in total - I pick jobs I like a lot though.

I actually don't smoke tobacco, just other herbal plant matter, and I use electronic cigarettes.

My point is this - I'm doing a job I enjoy a lot, that fits in with several of my special interests, has very calm, chill employers, etc. I do extremely well at this type of retail interaction. It's also interaction that is part repetitive, part information sharing, but also has many unique situations daily - and I do very well at it.

I feel experience doing a lot of work has helped me get much better at these types of social interaction and also helped me out in general.

At the same time there are other situations where I am not so adept at interacting, and even go mute.

Dutchy
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2014, 7:30 am

I think the environment and the level of expectations from others can make you or break you as an ASS person. I experience this all the time. I'm actually good at small talk, and i'm a good listener. I think i am really good at communicating with others because i listen to what people actually say and if i don't understand something i ask.
Further, i think i'm having a very openminded attitude towards others. I don't judge people's appealing or actions. And despite what the criterea say about Autism, i know that i can be very empatatic, i really can place myself into others and their life or situation. So my experience is, when you have that positive attitude towards people, people are nicer, and more understanding if you don't get something. Everyone want's to be seen and been heard.

Ofcourse, you can't controle the others, and if people have that negative attitude and project that on you, its hard to not drown into that. I know that i'm very sensitive when it comes to that. But i can totally understand that your job is suiting you. I'm good with people too. Some people better than others, but i don't think that's weird at all. If people accept you for who you are, letting you be yourself, that always helps. If people don't expect you to be perfect, and are all critical at you, then there's room for you. People with ASS need that room to blossom.

If the environment is good, and people don't expect me to be perfect, than it looks like my Autism is almost gone. But when the environment is negative, critical, judgemental and projecting all that on me, than i can't function anymore. That's just how it works.
So if you ask me, do you excel at certain types of social interaction? my answer is yes! I'm actually very good at social interaction. Although the quality of that depends on the environment.

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2014, 8:04 am

Ah, you have a good point.
In my case, I'm really good at interacting with people on very big and powerful subjects which require a lot of thinking to fully understand. Like politics or philosophy or anything that I'm "obsessed" with. But when somebody just randomly tries to strike up a conversation then I'll usually be like 8O 'cause I don't really know where to start. Talking about a certain subject guides me to other topics and I transition between them at ease. It's pretty cool.

Moo approves!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 6:27 pm

Atomsk wrote:
My question is this - do any of you excel at certain types of social interaction? If so, what sorts of situations?

I work at a smoke shop as one of my jobs - I work about 86 hours a week in total - I pick jobs I like a lot though.

I actually don't smoke tobacco, just other herbal plant matter, and I use electronic cigarettes.

My point is this - I'm doing a job I enjoy a lot, that fits in with several of my special interests, has very calm, chill employers, etc. I do extremely well at this type of retail interaction. It's also interaction that is part repetitive, part information sharing, but also has many unique situations daily - and I do very well at it.

I feel experience doing a lot of work has helped me get much better at these types of social interaction and also helped me out in general.

At the same time there are other situations where I am not so adept at interacting, and even go mute.

Glad you have found work situations that lets you be your autie self and make a living. Social situations that are small and involve your interests are good for people on the spectrum. Customers are nicer and more relaxed in a small retail establishments like a smoke shop then in other retail situations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 6:47 pm

I usually interact well with senior citizens that don't disrespect young people. I also interact well with people that have interesting things to say. When people have interesting things to say I'm way better at listening. I also have more to contribute to the conversation.