have met people who are very respectful towards autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm

This week I did stress-releasing therapy in a group and I was the only autistic person.
The therapists (2 people and they know me well) informed the group (7 people) about me being autistic and people were very respectful, never demanded any social interaction I did not want and even asked if I tolerate to be hugged (as people do hug a lot).
I had cards to communicate with when I lost ability to talk (and I had signs telling I have lost ability to talk and it was taken as serious as spoken words by other people.
I don't know how much people knew about autism, except for the therapists who do know about it, but I could be who I am, and also when I had meltdowns I was not judged for it and all in all there was a good and calm structure.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 6:34 pm

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

That is wonderful!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 6:43 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

That is wonderful!! !

Yes, I am very glad about it.
It feels good being accepted the way you are and the way you perceive and communicate and behave because of your perception.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

I am always amazed at how varied peoples experiences with NT reaction has been. That also has been the story of reactions to my Autistic traits over the years.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 5:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am always amazed at how varied peoples experiences with NT reaction has been. That also has been the story of reactions to my Autistic traits over the years.

I do not know how those people would react on me if they did not know about the autism.
The therapists told me that in this setting it is important to disclose it to the people as people might get irritated or annoyed by my behaviour, they mentioned also my stimming and I do have moments of autistic catatonia, if they would not know about the autism.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 12:35 am

I'm so happy that you found a group that you are comfortable with and is so accepting. I hope it helps you fulfill your goals :)

Daydreamer86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2014, 1:32 pm

I am really happy that they were so understanding.

My blog on life with Aspergers.