Does anyone else hate taking medication?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bearded1
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

I take a handful of meds every morning. At times it is kind of depressing but as a whole I know it is for the best. Some people I talk to say how bad meds are and how they would never depend on them. For me that is the only way that I can make it through life. So in that realize that they are making your life better.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 5:43 pm

IMHO meds are generally the lesser of two evils. they are the good cop to the symptom's bad cop.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 3:58 pm

I tried Ritalin (officially prescribed). buth that made me very unstable.

I tried dextroamphetamine (officially prescribed), but that may me rather numb.

I tried various illegal substances including LSD, levoamphetamine, methylone and 2-FMA (self-medicated). Those did benefit me a lot, but the stimulants to tend to be addictive and result in dependence.

Currently, I try to stay free from any medication most of the time, although I do self-medicate occasionally.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm

I have always hated taking anti-depressants. I think it's the stigma?? I'm not sure. I've been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have to take a hormonal substitute. I'll be on that for the rest of my life. I don't have much problem with that. I'd rather not have this problem and need medication, but I'll take it and without the hatred I feel for taking anti-depressants.

I recently came off mine and feel much better without it. My mood may not be as good, but my head is not as cloudy. I think and write for a living so I need a non-cloudy head.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2015, 4:22 pm

I do not take SSRI for two reasons. One I do not like to have medicine alter my personality, this is why I also do not consume alcohol to become drunk. This is primarily a person choice because I'd rather endure the weather of frequent depression than live life as a zombie.

Two and most importantly, the long term effects of SSRI are still relatively unknown and side effects can be very diverse and invasive. Psychologists are often undereducated and hand out SSRI too easily without foreseeing the possible effects or possible external causes of a psychological problem. The field of psychology contains many unreliable studies and is the scientific field with one of the highest fraud ratios because statistics and surveys are one of the easiest data points to manipulate. Couple that with the multi billion dollar industry products like Prozac and Xanax of which the producers fund their own research and you'll be wise to be wary of that.

Last edited by qFox on 08 Feb 2015, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:23 pm

I resisted SSRIs because I didn't want to lose my hydraulic function.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:34 pm

Yes, but not for the same reason.

I question the independence of doctors; drug companies have a habit of sending attractive female salespeople to doctors (yeah I know it won't work on women doctors [ok straight female doctors]). Doctors also don't have to disclose they have a financial position with a drug company.

A doctor prescribed Advair to me, then I damn near passed out when I bothered to read the side effects. Later on, it was taken off the market. Still later, it was put back on the market.

In another instance, someone close to me was given the 'happy pill' and I noticed a change in behavior. Later on that person stopped taking it.

SIDWULF
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2015, 4:45 pm

Orangez wrote:
I find it very illogical for me to take medicine since it is not a solution. The pills do not change anything it is just a pill to trick your brain to produce a chemical reaction that may or may not help. Thus, what is the point in taking them . However, I still take them since I am terrible at long term planning.

Meh it's a cure if I take them consistently. What's the difference.

No anxiety = no depression = bliss

Medication enables this reaction to happen.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm

I don't like take really big pills. DX I have a hard time swallowing them, and I usually tend to avoid them too.

Lately, I've been taking vicodin every four to six hours because if I don't, my mouth will end up causing me agony. The problem is that I don't like the idea that I could get addicted to it. People tell me to be careful about taking it too much or relying on it, but it's kind of hard not to take it when you're in a shedload of pain after having dental surgery not too long ago. :( My doctor even said she wants me to try cutting down on taking so much of the vicodin... and I really have been trying hard to cut down on it. Just it's so hard when you end up in agonizing pain. ;o;

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:53 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
I don't like take really big pills. DX I have a hard time swallowing them, and I usually tend to avoid them too.

I have trouble swallowing pills, I'm afraid that I'll choke on the pill. I have to take pills crushed up with applesauce.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:08 pm

^^^
I had to do that also, for the longest time.

ChrisEder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
I was forcibly medicated for years as an adolescent. Always hated it, always resented it, always hated my parents for forcing those poisons on me.

What about antibiotics? Do you feel the same about those? My 19 year old is refusing...rather is very anxious/nervous about them...thus he is refusing to take them. I am looking for strategies to help ease his mind.

Chris

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 11:46 pm

yes hates commercial meds and using them in a generalized matter to all persons is scarey to me.
human being are comprised of too many systems that are affected by so many variables...
Am prone to seeking out opinions from Naturopathic docs , and self research on what systems do what in ones anatomy . And various deficiencies that can occur in ongoing natural processes. Due to diet and various other malabsorbtion issues .Increase these variables . So been looking at reference materials on physiology. Proper nutrition can play a huge role in re-establishing a balanced homeostasis. Admittedly Aspies are unique but basics of good health and nutrition , can be applied. If in fact neurological systems are hyper developed , Then one might consider those specialized requirements .
Considering no massive damage has been done to a person . In which case , apropriate measures need to be applied . Concerning additional nutritional requirements may need to be applied .

So i do avoid meds if can be helped , but do use supplements to address insufficiencies, and have kept in mind , physicians are merely PRACTISING
medicine . ..( disclaimer: Not intended as medical advise, consult your medical practicioners)

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 12:06 am

ChrisEder wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
I was forcibly medicated for years as an adolescent. Always hated it, always resented it, always hated my parents for forcing those poisons on me.

What about antibiotics? Do you feel the same about those? My 19 year old is refusing...rather is very anxious/nervous about them...thus he is refusing to take them. I am looking for strategies to help ease his mind.

Chris

opinion on abx ie. antibiotics , use with reserve .. once a immune system is able to identify a problem , it will normally go to work on it . And yes am quite sure under many situations , help may very well be needed .. and occassionally
sometimes can be greatly aided by correct supplements and diet .
Personally have been greatly aided in recovery from some very dire health circumstances with antiobiotics administered under M.D. s care .

where ever you go ,there you are