Asptism 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Auspergers 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
None of the above 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 89

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 3:02 pm

I generally use the term autism to refer to all autism spectrum.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2015, 3:20 pm

If I had to choose then I prefer Aspergers but I try not to have to bring either of them up as a rule.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2015, 3:30 pm

i prefer to say i have autism. because im diagnosed with autism. why would i say i have aspergers when im diagnosed with autism? i do not fit the profile for aspergers. i had significant language delays and have lots of problems with language still. my evryday functioning is also not consistent with aspergers or even 'hfa'.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

Autism sounds more severe than Aspergers. I would never tell people I have autism, ever. Young people especially. I don't want people to think I have special needs.

There is also a new trend of insulting people who are autistic. Go on Youtube and type in autism and youtube comments are filled with people saying cruel things to us. Now most of this is directed towards those with low-functioning autism because the general public thinks of low-functioning when they hear autism. This is exactly why I prefer Aspergers because it sounds less severe and not everyone knows that its on the autism spectrum.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 6:09 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
Do you prefer the term Autism or Aspergers and why? When telling people your diagnoses, do you tell them you have Autism or Aspergers?

I tell them my actual diagnosis (Asperger's), but in extension I also tell them that it's an autistic spectrum disorder and go on to clarify and nullify any misguided or ill-conceived preconceptions they already have (because you know they do, these days), while stating actual facts around the disorder. Though it's rare that I even tell people about it anymore (because of all of the preconceived bull they all hear on tv and from 'advocates' like Jenny-f'em-all-McKarthy).

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
[...]This is exactly why I prefer Aspergers because it sounds less severe and not everyone knows that its on the autism spectrum.

You'll find rather quickly that people think just as badly, if not worse at the moment, about AS as they do with Autism. Thanks to the media and certain celebrities smearing our image.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 6:44 pm

Alyosha wrote:
i prefer to say i have autism. because im diagnosed with autism. why would i say i have aspergers when im diagnosed with autism? i do not fit the profile for aspergers. i had significant language delays and have lots of problems with language still. my evryday functioning is also not consistent with aspergers or even 'hfa'.

This is me right here! Though, I do think I have HFA though.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm

I used to reject the idea that Asperger's was a kind of autism. I didn't know about HFA, and I thought having autism meant you couldn't talk. It was also a kind of pedantic Aspie thing: I wouldn't say I had autism because my precise diagnosis was Asperger's, not autism.

Thankfully, I now have a greater understanding of the autism spectrum. Now, I like both terms equally. I don't tell people about my diagnosis often, but if I did, I would probably say I had Asperger's.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

I prefer the term Asperger's, because "autism" feels like too heavy a label to pin to my comparatively mild problems. However, whenever I tell someone else about my diagnosis, I do say that I have autism, or am autistic, because I've found that 90% of the time, when I tell someone I have Asperger's, they have no idea what I'm talking about. Also, from a pedantic "rule following" perspective, I take into account the fact that, technically speaking, Asperger's doesn't exist as far as the DSM 5 is concerned.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 4:01 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I prefer the term Asperger's, because "autism" feels like too heavy a label to pin to my comparatively mild problems.

^ This.

Also, for me, it seems like calling myself "autistic" diminishes the issues that others with more severe problems actually have. I hope this makes sense.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 5:19 pm

They got rid of Aspergers?! What kind of bull sh is this?!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

I'm not diagnosed with Asperger's. I'm diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder so I refer to myself as autistic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:22 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I generally use the term autism to refer to all autism spectrum.

I do the same.

lickerofjustice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2015, 8:52 am

I prefer Aspergers because lots of people think these days, when they heard the word "autism" they'll think of a kid screaming, rolling around in the supermarket and tell you that you looked normal :|

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2015, 9:58 am

Autism/an Autism Spectrum Disorder

Until we are more sure about the causes of ASDs, it could be the case that, like more severely effected autistics, Asperger-types have different gene make ups within group.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 12:56 pm

I prefer Asperger's for my own situation. I admit that Asperger's is part of the Autism spectrum, but there are identifiable "sections" on the spectrum that differ somewhat from one another. Classic Autism is more severe. Asperger's is at the high end of the spectrum. My condition is in the Asperger's part of the spectrum. Unfortunately, most of the public think of Classic Autism when they hear about anyone on the spectrum. I sympathize with families dealing with that, but I prefer to have my condition accurately identified, when it's necessary to tell people about my at all. There is a definite difference. When I first heard about autism, it was a case of classic autism, and I never saw any resemblance between myself and the child involved. When I first heard about Asperger's, I immediately saw myself in the article. Further research only reinforced that. Outside input from other people who had read about Asperger's and believed it fit me, served to confirm my belief in my having it. I have continued to research this over the years, and it fits me. I also have a few of the co-morbids, but fortunately, not all of them. Since I fit very much in the Asperger's part of the spectrum, I will stick with referring to myself that way.