Anyone else on the spectrum not able to cope with Facebook?

Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 11:43 pm

Used it for a week at university, closed it straight away, found no use for it, only to keep in contact with family but I use Google+ for that, and even then I don't use that either. I don't talk to people, unless its related to gaming.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 2:35 am

olympiadis wrote:

did you mean to post the same image thrice?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2015, 6:27 pm

I never used it before because it just doesn't interest me, and figuring out what to post was hard. I've considered using it again since I'm moving and want to meet more people. It would probably be easier for them to keep in touch.

Ninibear
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2015, 11:31 pm

Earlier this year I deactivated my main Facebook. Couldn't handle any of the social stuff so I just left. Had to make a separate one just to keep in contact with classmates for group work communication. A few days ago I got back on my main so I could keep track of everyone who wanted to add me. Some friends messaged me about missing me while I was gone, but I just told them to leave me alone because interaction makes me sick lol......... I wish I didn't have to have Facebook, but it is a handy tool for when it's necessary to communicate (I'd rather discuss group work online than in person).

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 2:29 am

I deleted mine years ago and don't miss it a bit. These days I only hear about FB when people on Reddit or here complain about it or the "older people" in my life discuss a post or when my dad gets in arguments with people (in which he's usually wrong). Other than that, it's completely an afterthought and more like Myspace to me. It's like, "Oh yeah, that website exists. People still visit there?"

Paciphae
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2015, 3:59 am

Facebook is practically a "must" for selling my work, so I have to interact with people there. I try to limit it to the pages that are relevant, (my art page, publisher's pages, patron's pages, etc), but I still pass by posts that have collected comments from people whose perspectives infuriate me.

I've sat for an hour at a time and blocked every commenter I disagreed with on a controversial post. I wish we could set it so that we only see comments from people that we're "friends" with.

At last count I have over 600 names on my "Bottomless Blocked List". It's ridiculous.

CorrinneMcMahon
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2015, 11:18 am

omg yes!

I have reactivated and deactivated more times than I can count!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 2:50 am

me too, trying to open and close that window.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2016, 3:26 pm

I sure as hell don't feel like I am able to cope with the demands of Facebook: its like taking a drug that you can't get off of. I have 270 friends and don't even talk to any of them, because I don't know them really well. However, I go on there frequently to post pictures and random sh*t, and I feel a high similar to a drug addict whenever I get likes on my posts. I feel like I would have been better off without making a Facebook account because of my low self-esteem and getting angry when people post stuff about how great their life's are. But, I am too afraid to delete it because of the outcasting effect and not being able to keep in touch ever later in life. I also find it difficult to find things to do other than the internet all day.

RenaeK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2016, 9:34 am

I do use Facebook, but don't check it all the time. I find it very helpful for keeping in touch with family who are far away or don't see very often. I know what's going on in their lives without having to pick up the phone and endure some horrendous small talk conversation about how they've been. I see photos of new babies in the family, see when the older neices and nephews get engaged etc. I have less than 100 friends and about 50 are hidden from my news feed because the crap they post drives me nuts (mostly boasting about their wonderful life that we all know is not so wonderful).

I'm also in a couple of cool facebook groups for adults with Autism and one for another disorder prosopagnosia. I'm in a group of local mums with ASD kids which is helpful sometimes. I think it depends what you use it for. If I didn't use it for the above things, just reading people's random crap they post every day, I probably wouldn't have it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:05 pm

I don't even know what all these supposed social expectations one is supposed to be taking part in on facebook, I certainly don't ever feel I need to be on there until I feel drained. I post a few memes/pictures here and there, comment on other peoples memes/pictures/statuses sometimes or like them and also use it as a means to keep in touch with people. Also I find a couple of the games on facebook rather entertaining. But yeah its not a big deal to me just a website with some features I like and some things I think are rather overrated but it is what it is...there aren't any sites I know of that are considered a better version of facebook.

Adam_K93

19 Jan 2016, 5:06 am

Got rid of my facebook years ago. Lots of people I didn't really know wanted to be "friends" and talk about things I didn't care about, and then became offended when I didn't want to talk.

Huge waste of time if you ask me.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2016, 6:10 am

I tried facebook for a month a few years ago but couldn't see any point to it. I never did anything which anyone else would be intereseted in hearing about (as far as I can tell) and I wasn't interested in hearing about someone's scores on a farming game. The whole thing seemed pointless. I just don't understand it's purpose.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 7:37 am

Hate Facebook. Never had an account and refuse to make one. It's a rigidity i will never let go of.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 7:41 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
I tried facebook for a month a few years ago but couldn't see any point to it. I never did anything which anyone else would be intereseted in hearing about (as far as I can tell) and I wasn't interested in hearing about someone's scores on a farming game. The whole thing seemed pointless. I just don't understand it's purpose.

I think it's best used as a tool to stay in touch with people you may have been friendly with at some point, but now they are too busy to actually try to maintain a friendship with you. This allows such people to feel they still have some contact, when in reality they really do not. I hate speaking in groups. I hate being part of a collection. If we've been friends for years, I'm not going into the same collection as some douchebag you met three weeks ago online.

Also the one reason I would ever use it is, if you are into music, most musicians now update their career progress through Facebook instead of their website now. This causes me to look at it occasionally, I regret to admit.

But maybe for distant family and such I could sort of see it, I just want no part of exposing myself to the world like that.