Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Tony Attwood's cure is putting the child in their bedroom by themselves.

Thats probably what gave me Asperger symptoms in the first place, my step father didn't like me so I was stored alone in my room for 15 hours a day, I can still remember the boredom as I didnt even have any toys to play with.

As for curing oneself, I did cure myself of a wart once, I sliced it open with a stanley knife and then poured bleach into it, worked a treat.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 7:17 pm

No, I'm not interested in curing my AS. I like the person it makes me, and wouldn't want to trade it to be an average, run-of-the-mill neurotypical.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

asp123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Dec 2015, 8:31 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
No, I'm not interested in curing my AS. I like the person it makes me, and wouldn't want to trade it to be an average, run-of-the-mill neurotypical.

I can feel that the asperger in me are making me sit inside a glasbubble, I cant grab on the reality. To me, autism must defintly be something that is wrongly "wired" in the brain. If there would be anything vitamins example I could take to break the glasbubble, I defintly would.

Perhaps you are not so "stuck in the glasbubble" as me, if you dont even want to get cured.

It is not funny to be a prisoner for you whole life!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 10:55 pm

I basically tried with pure willpower, but the result was massive burnout, among other things.

A long time ago I found out I had various food allergies/intolerances, and avoiding those foods does make me feel, better. I suspect, though, that having any difficulty is made worse if you're being made uncomfortable by allergic reactions. I.e. Sensory overload + headache & itching everywhere is worse than sensory overload by itself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 12:38 am

I cured myself of delusions of neurotypicality.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 12:47 am

I went through a denial phase when I was a teenager, where I was convinced that I grew out of being an aspie, and I thought that I was being treated unfairly in school for no good reason. It didn't really occur to me that I most definitely was on the spectrum until I was about 16/17 years old.

Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 2:19 am

Nambo wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Thats probably what gave me Asperger symptoms in the first place, my step father didn't like me so I was stored alone in my room for 15 hours a day, I can still remember the boredom as I didnt even have any toys to play with.

As for curing oneself, I did cure myself of a wart once, I sliced it open with a stanley knife and then poured bleach into it, worked a treat.

No, autism is something you are born with.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 4:36 am

Kyle Katarn wrote:
Nambo wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Try telling that to the Romanian orphans.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 11:11 am

I remember on another autism website that is now defunct, aspies for freedom, someone posted about her son being diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He was adopted and lived in a orphanage where he was neglected and sensory deprived (children need stimulation) and other things so it caused his sensory issues and autism symptoms and sometimes it's just a label when a diagnoses is given because it's for so the child can get the help they need so a label doesn't matter at the end, only their behavior and their problems. PDD-NOS was the closest they could get to for a match.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

asp123

15 Dec 2015, 1:47 pm

Nambo wrote:
Kyle Katarn wrote:
Nambo wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yes I know you're born with it.

But when born with it, it must mean that your brain is somehow wrongly wired, and if there could be some food or supplement that somehow (of a reason I do not know) can repair the damage in brain, or just make it a little better,

I think there is things you can eat to change your brain neurons and genes.

I wonder why so few want to research on that matter?

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2015, 3:18 pm

I have tried fixing the symptoms in various ways, without understanding or even suspecting autism as a contributing factor or even the primary cause of many of them.

My results so far:

1) Self help books aimed at helping people *not* on the spectrum don't work so well for me, but it's not for a lack of trying on my part (which was my previous assumption).
2) I was using a form of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy on myself before I even knew it existed, and CBT does help in many cases, with specific situations where I'm struggling. It does not, however, "cure" anything. I struggle with the same things, over and over again but with better outcomes than before I started using the techniques.
3) Dietary sensitivities that I wasn't aware of (and thought of as socially transmitted delusions) were kicking my butt and contributing massively to anxiety, irritability and depression. I don't eat dairy or gluten any more and I sure know the difference when I 'slip' on that one. :skull:
4) Malabsorption and dietary deficiencies were also contributing to serious mood issues, chronic pain, and fatigue, as well as intensifying sensory issues. Eating leafy greens, olive and coconut oils, seeds, nuts, minimally processed meats, and whole grains *does* make life easier, but I was only able to experience this after removing the irritating substances from my diet so the good stuff could actually be properly assimilated!
5) None of the above mentioned habits cures my problems - but maintaining them sure does make life more bearable for me and for anyone who interacts with me :D

Nothing has helped me more than finding other women my age who are experiencing the same things and who have had similar experiences growing up. In fact, all of the people, regardless of age, gender or social background, who share their thoughts here have helped. This is like years of therapy condensed into a handful of months.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2015, 3:26 pm

asp123 wrote:
I wonder why so few want to research on that matter?

Possibly because not everyone views Autism as a disease to be cured, but here, knock yourself out...

http://www.autism-resources.com/links/o ... tions.html

Most of those have some research projects of kind or another going.

However, there are two groups I know of that are heavily invested in genetic research.

Autism Speaks. Pro Neuraltypical. Anti-Autism. They believe Autism is an abnormality and want to eradicate it, permanently. They run eugenic research programs dedicated to identifying Autism in the womb, minimizing the risks that a child will be born with Autism and/or abort unborn babes that are suspected of having Autism. So that future children will be born without the stain of Autism.

Autism Front. Pro Autism. Anti-Neuraltypical. They believe Autism is the next step in human evolution, and work to hasten it's course. They run eugenic research programs dedicated to identifying the cause of Autism, working to isolate and accurately replicate the "savant" genes within the Autism spectrum, and apply them to neuraltypical children. So that every newborn will share the gift of Autism.

Both groups hold very extreme views on Autism, and operate more like terrorist organizations, rather than legit research institutions.

If they operate like terrorist organizations, then why haven't they been stopped?

Autism Speaks is based in America, where they are widely regarded as the official face of Autism. They are largely funded through collective ignorance and misinformation. There is a great deal of controversy surrounding the organization, mostly from the Autism Community itself, who have finally grown up from under Autism Speaks firm boot and are now actively speaking out against them. The organization has since started to abandon the idea that they're doing this for people with Autism, they could care less for us, their real concern goes out to our parents that are "lumbered" with us. Since only 1 in 100 people have Autism, most of which are voiceless children, the organization can act with impunity, in the name of America.

Autism Front is Based in Scotland, almost exclusively to the City of Edinburgh, their privately owned and funded, mostly by people with Autism. Their not the public face of Scotland, they leave that to "The National Autistic Society", their not even the public face of Edinburgh, that's "Autism Initiatives" another private organization, well sort of, they have a website, which largely constitutes the public face part. In fact Autism Front is almost entirely under the radar, the complete opposite to Autism Speaks in everything. It only surfaces through the praise of the Autistic people it helps, which again is the complete opposite to Autism Speaks. One would hope that they'd be more public if they weren't horribly outnumbered 100 to 1, and one questions if an entire race of designer babies is truly the way to go.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 3:37 pm

Autism isn't curable, thus the question that you have posed is superfluous.

Anti-depressants can, at the very least, decrease one's levels of anxiety, though.

In terms of flatulence, a gluten-free diet would certainly help me - but it's very hard to avoid gluten without spending twice the amount on adequate substitutes. Fruitarism is somewhat appealing, but again a diet plan which incorporates at least 75% of fruit is going to cause flatulence.

In case you hadn't noticed I talk about flatulence a lot. Perhaps it's my new obsession? The release of toxic gases is a cause of anxiety for me, personally. :o

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 5:52 am

Yeah I am trying to cure myself of the awful symptoms I live with. I don't mind being an individual and eccentric - to me those are brilliant qualities. What I do mind is feeling constantly tired when making eye contact, not being able to think of anything to say to anyone when talking (not just shyness but a literal blankness of my mind) and not even having the most basic skills to make friends.

My method of attempting to cure myself involves researching food and changing what I eat. Going gluten and dairy free was what I initially did. That helped but it isn't the full answer. I needed to find out why they bothered me and why some other foods did too. That's why I learned about gut bacteria. In our stomach millions of bacteria live and what we eat alters the balance. There are good and bad bacteria, ones that help us digest and ones that make us crave unhealthy foods and begin to have an unhealthy influence on our brain.

Fermented foods such as homemade pickled cabbage - also known as sauerkraut - could be helpful. I began to eat some on the side whenever I had a plate with meat on it. I've even got to like the taste, the sourness complementing the meat nicely. I feel better than I used to but even if what I'm doing will ease my pain it won't happen instantly. I just hope I'm heading in the right direction.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 6:43 am

Why would one want to cure themself? :?

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2015, 7:47 am

Pieplup wrote:
Why would one want to cure themself? :?

I imagine the loved ones of these Autistic individuals would welcome a "cure" if one existed.

Idealist wrote:
To the worst suffers of Autism, those that can neither move or talk, spend all their time bedridden, and to whom the very basic functions of keeping their eyes open a given length of time, will not only disagree with that belief, they won't be able to comprehend it.

Full post -here-.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)