Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

How are you supposed to use the mr. green emoji? :mrgreen:

I have put him in posts before but to be honest I have no idea what he represents.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2016, 3:59 pm

I don't know either but he seems extremely pleased about something.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 4:06 pm

I believe it's what is known as a "s**t eating grin" and he turned green because it is making him sick.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 4:57 pm

I thought "Mr. Green" was a smiley representation of a person being daring, but endearingly naïve in being daring.

And the Ninja was the smiley of someone who took more risks than Mr. Green.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

I use him often, and I honestly have no idea...I just like his grin better than the "very happy" smiley because Mr. Green closes his eyes, which is closer to how I do it.

Actually, a lot of these emoticons confuse me. For instance, the "Rolling Eyes" one looks cute/silly for what's supposed to be a gesture of annoyance.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm

i agree with AuroraBorealisGazer in that the emoticons on this forum are confusing and also awkward.
for instance the regular smiley :) has eyebrows! the eyebrows make it too complex for a simple smile imo. and yes the rolling eyes one :roll: is pretty cute. tbh when i first joined i thought it meant "looking up at the above poster and smiling at their content" or something. i will use mr. green in place of :lol: in a lot of lol-type situations because he is cuter and the lol one seems like it could be laughing sinisterly. maybe because of the eyebrows, idk.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:41 pm

I rarely use emoticons, because I really don't know what the majority of them are supposed to mean.

Considering that this is a forum for those with ASD, shouldn't there be some kind of "emoticon guide"?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:45 pm

Just put the "hand which is guided by the mouse" directly over the emoticon, and it will tell you what it means, most of the time.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

dianthus wrote:
I believe it's what is known as a "s**t eating grin" and he turned green because it is making him sick.

I kind of like this explanation.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I thought "Mr. Green" was a smiley representation of a person being daring, but endearingly naïve in being daring.

And the Ninja was the smiley of someone who took more risks than Mr. Green.

And this description is nice as well, Kortie. I agree with what other people have shared that the emoticons can be a bit confusing sometimes. I usually just stick to the smiley ones cause those are easy :D

I also have trouble using LOL because I feel weird when I type it. Not sure why that happens. I picture myself laughing very wildly when I type it and it feels a bit dishonest.

Side question: Why do some people call them emojis? Is that a different thing?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Feb 2016, 2:05 am

I thought it had something to do with emotions but a search revealed that it is from the Japanese for picture letter or picture character. Emoticon is also used as well as smiley.

To me Mr Green looks like someone who's awfully pleased with himself for just coming up with a rather silly but somehow smart remark or joke. Sort of teasing but not in a negative or condescending way.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:45 am

envirozentinel wrote:
I thought it had something to do with emotions but a search revealed that it is from the Japanese for picture letter or picture character. Emoticon is also used as well as smiley.

To me Mr Green looks like someone who's awfully pleased with himself for just coming up with a rather silly but somehow smart remark or joke. Sort of teasing but not in a negative or condescending way.

Interesting. Thank you for that info on emojis. I am still trying to get used to them on my phone. There are so many now!

Mr. Green definitely does look very pleased with himself. He's probably loving having his own thread.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:44 am

I can only use the ones that make absolute sense to me.
SMile, frown, laughing, bowing in praise and jester. Most either seem redundant or I don't know their meanings.

Not a big fan of emojis other than those basics. I use them to signify humor or something only when typing can't convey it or may be misunderstood.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 10:10 am

Mr. Green seems happy, I like him. :mrgreen:

I have trouble with anything that blinks - I can't focus on what I'm reading, and it gives me a headache. :(

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 10:16 am

I will use the winky emoji thingy

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

Dont know what he means either. :mrgreen:

Mr. Green seems to be smirking. Like he's just one upped the person being addressed. So it strikes me as a bit of provocative one to use. Like you're asking to get punched out.

The eye rolling one seems to pretty clear to me.

The traditional writing system of Japan is a picture writing system (like Chinese, and Egyptian heirglypics) that consists of many "picture symbols". So its an interesting coincidence that their word for a "picture symbol" starts with the syllable "emo". So I guess we English speakers latched onto the right word "emoji" , but for the wrong reason, as an alternative word for "emoticon".

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 10:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So I guess we English speakers latched onto the right word "emoji" , but for the wrong reason, as an alternative word for "emoticon".
Emoticon is the proper term as it originated. But I've notice that any picture symbol now is referenced as an Emoji. Language evolution?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13