is rewinding considered socially unacceptable?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2017, 12:03 am

so u know how like 99.9 percent of earth population watch a video or tv from the start to the end?

unless ur editing but when ur NOT doing that you would watch a video from the beginning to end.
if u wanted to see it again u would re watch the whole video.

is rewinding a certain part over and over considered socially unacceptable?

its one of my autistic behaviors.

who else does this?

were u told its not ok to do?

have u experienced someone else doing it and started questioning why they were doing it?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 12:51 am

I think plenty of people like to watch a certain segment over and over.

That's why there's all those YouTube movie clips that have a million views.

It's more common or prevalent in autism to watch the same clip over and over.

Is it socially acceptable? I don't know. Most autistic stuff is stuff most people don't do or wouldn't want to be seen doing or whatever.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2017, 1:10 am

EzraS wrote:

Is it socially acceptable? I don't know. Most autistic stuff is stuff most people don't do or wouldn't want to be seen doing or whatever.

thats not true. most people would get bored
its very rare for someone to do it.

u dont have to have autism to do it.

u can have have obsessive compulsive disorder.
you right tho about the movie clips
they may watch the whole video over again but eventually get bored and move on to something else.

conanthewarrior
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2017, 3:49 am

I do this with Music- a section of a song I like I will rewind to hear again instead of the full song. As I am mostly listening alone I guess it is OK.

If I am with a group, I do allow the song to play through. I do realise others may not enjoy hearing the same loop of music on repeat for an hour lol.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 5:34 am

You probably shouldn't "re-wind" around a bunch of people unless you ask first.

Theobnoxiousone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2017, 9:10 am

Is it socially acceptable- no not at all. If in a group situation it is unlikely that everyone wants to see the same but over and over.

Is it weird or a problem - no. Personally I think what ever you want to do is fine no one out side of yourself can say what is right or wrong for you. I like to watch the same films, TV shows over and over, read the same books or listen to the same song on a loop. There are some scene I will watch again and again and I don't see it as a problem.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2017, 7:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You probably shouldn't "re-wind" around a bunch of people unless you ask first.

have you experienced this before

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 4:56 am

random1 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

they may watch the whole video over again but eventually get bored and move on to something else.

There's certain clips I like to watch over and over. Usually I find them on YouTube. Often the clip has been posted by several different people. Usually the clip has millions of views. Often there's comments like, "I've watched this a hundred times and haven't gotten tired of it yet".

I said it's more common for someone with autism to do it, but certainly not exclusive to autism. Hence why clips have millions of views. Some videos have 10 hours of the same thing over and over.

If you do it by yourself, it's not a problem.

If you're doing it while others are watching the movie or whatever, that's a problem.

Another reason why I rewind is because I have such a poor memory, I need the repetition.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 8:52 am

I have experienced people rewinding when I want to watch a show straight from beginning to end. It can get irritating.

Unless permission is granted, I won't rewind.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 9:54 am

I watch video segments over and over for a lot of reasons. I can see that being a serious irritation if another person is watching the same screen that you are and you are doing that. I would find it irritating too. Of course, YouTube makes it easy to do because of the scrubber bar on the player. But back in the 80's when VCRs were the thing. Replaying a video segment over and over was very stressful for the VCR's mechanics.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 10:05 am

I used to do this when I would be obsessed with a movie and I only did it when I was watching it alone and by myself. I didn't do it around people because I have always been self conscious about myself. No one has ever told me it wasn't okay because they didn't see me doing it. When I knew Frankie I discovered he did the same thing too and that was how he would know lines from movies but he only did it to memorize lines. I did it because I enjoyed the part and the lines would get stuck in my head. But he kept on doing it one time while we were watching a video and I told him to stop because I wanted to watch it and he did stop.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 10:08 am

EzraS wrote:
random1 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

There's certain clips I like to watch over and over. Usually I find them on YouTube. Often the clip has been posted by several different people. Usually the clip has millions of views. Often there's comments like, "I've watched this a hundred times and haven't gotten tired of it yet".

I said it's more common for someone with autism to do it, but certainly not exclusive to autism. Hence why clips have millions of views. Some videos have 10 hours of the same thing over and over.

If you're doing it while others are watching the movie or whatever, that's a problem.

Another reason why I rewind is because I have such a poor memory, I need the repetition.

Is there a disorder out there that has a name you have that affects your memory? Usually autistic people have good memories so you're the only one so far who has said they have a bad memory.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

not even 1 percent of the earth population does it.
lol

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 4:20 am

League_Girl wrote:
EzraS wrote:
random1 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Is there a disorder out there that has a name you have that affects your memory? Usually autistic people have good memories so you're the only one so far who has said they have a bad memory.

Not so. There has been at least one thread on the subject where others talked about poor memory. I remember JakeASD in particular saying such. Ironic that I remember that.

Also as my signature says, I have severe dyspraxia. So where the autism doesn't get me the dyspraxia does.

Dyspraxia learning, thought and memory:
Poor memory, especially short-term memory.

http://www.dyspraxiausa.org/symptoms/adult-symptoms/