The social ties between autism and schizophrenia

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:47 am

Quote:
When the shy, dark-haired boy met with clinicians for a full psychiatric evaluation two years ago, almost everything about him pointed to autism. W. had not spoken his first words until age 2. He was at least 4 before he could form sentences. As he got older, he was unable to make friends. He struggled to accept changes to his routine and maintain eye contact. And despite having an average intelligence quotient, he was unusually attached to objects; at age 11, he still lugged a bag of stuffed animals with him everywhere he went.

https://spectrumnews.org/features/deep- ... zophrenia/

Some people seem to fit both a psychosis spectrum and an autism spectrum diagnosis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:00 am

Eugen Bleuler, in about 1911, wrote that people with schizophrenia (called dementia praecox then) had an autistic mindset because they isolate themselves from others.

Even Hans Asperger referred to his study subjects as exhibiting symptoms of "autistic psychopathy." He wasn't referring to socio/psychopaths.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:34 am

firemonkey wrote:

Some people seem to fit both a psychosis spectrum and an autism spectrum diagnosis.

For the longest time I thought I had schizophrenia , my family thought I had schizophrenia and they told other people I had schizophrenia ( thanks guys :roll: ). I have not been diagnosed with it and I have talked with psychiatrists about having it and have been told in no uncertain terms that I do not have it.
The more I read about ASD the more it's becomes the logical answer to my issues.
There is no doubt that I have had what feel like psychotic breaks in the past ( derealization , conspiracy theories , suicidal ideation) when under huge amounts of stress but even these can issues can be answered with ASD , in fact I have found ASD evidence for every symptom I've had , this could just be cognitive bias though.
For the last year I have been quite positive about the possibility of having ASD , I felt as long as I knew what was wrong with me , I would be happy.
In the last day or so my feelings have changed as my lack of self awareness is shocking to me and made me feel very naive and childlike , I am now actually scared about getting a diagnosis of ASD and the implications ( it could just be anxiety though).

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:44 am

There is a reason why autism was known as "childhood schizophrenia" when the first diagnoses came in; the two have more than a little overlap in symptoms

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 9:07 am

Autism was associated with "Childhood Schizophrenia"---but I don't believe Kanner's kids would have been diagnosed with it. There was a separate "autism" category even in 1943, known as "Infantile Autism." Believe it or not, "Infantile Autism lasted into the 1980s.

I was diagnosed with an outmoded condition: I was considered "brain-damaged." Also with Autism.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 11:41 am

When I was in 6th grade, my speech therapist thought I had it so she was trying to convince the other school staff I had it and to watch for signs all because my mom told her I heard too many voices, my exact words, when I meant too many people were talking.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2017, 11:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
When I was in 6th grade, my speech therapist thought I had it so she was trying to convince the other school staff I had it and to watch for signs all because my mom told her I heard too many voices, my exact words, when I meant too many people were talking.

Similar thing happened to me, a psychologist wrote in my file (I needed records for some reason so had them sent and read it years later) that I was hearing voices, and I remember clearly when she was talking with me, she was hurried and I felt slow and I looked up to think about my answer, did not hear voices! yet that's how she perceived it. So they said I might be a little schizo. I definitely have a quite fluid view of reality but I also think many people get little erections when they think and talk of schizophrenia, like they've encountered the world's coolest circus act. lol people.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

I know Wikipedia used to have an article on schizotypal autism , but it's since disappeared. Said to originate from a schizotypal continuum rather than an autistic spectrum.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:17 pm

I remember watching the Temple Grandin movie in school last year. And there was a flashback scene that showed Temple when she was 4. It was her and her mom in a DR office. And the DR said that Temple had schizophrenia. And I didn't know that schizophrenia and autism were related. But I don't know if that part of the movie was accurate or not.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:18 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I know Wikipedia used to have an article on schizotypal autism , but it's since disappeared.

It was removed because it was considered a hoax but still can be read HERE

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
I know Wikipedia used to have an article on schizotypal autism , but it's since disappeared.

And yet, apart from the bit about seasonal affective disorder, I can see some people fitting this. It's far from unbelievable.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 3:07 pm

I'm not sure that it's physiologically possible to be both: from what I have read, autism results from a lack of neurological pruning during a critical phase of childhood and schizophrenia from an excess of neurological pruning. Maybe if there is a lack of pruning in some area of the brain but and excess in another area? I'm not sure how likely that is though, because I don't remember what areas of the brain the lack of pruning in autistic brains and the excess of pruning in schizophrenic brains happens.

Editing to add: I have seen someone else comment about this here before, possibly Chronos? I can't remember for sure who it was, but it wasn't that long ago. But surely there is someone here more familiar with the neurological research, that's bound to be someone's special interest.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm

firemonkey wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

And yet, apart from the bit about seasonal affective disorder, I can see some people fitting this. It's far from unbelievable.

I don't know enough to comment on this firemonkey , they only called it a hoax as there was not enough evidence to back it up ( and it was reported as well ).
I read a post here a while ago from a poster regarding this and he believed that schizotypal autism was just a way of describing a dual diagnosis of schizotypy PD and autism.

I just found it

Quote:
Schizpergers wrote:
I was diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder along with aspergers, adhd & ld. Since then different doctors have given slight variations to that diagnosis such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective, psychosis nos, along with various autism spectrum disorders. Most the doctors Ive seen for mental health have diagnosed me with co-morbid asd and schizo disorders, but where ever I am on those spectrums seems to vary in opinion. Some people do get misdiagnosed, but with co occuring conditions the symptoms cannot be better explained by the other disorder. The schiz symptoms I've had do not seem typical for someone who just has autism. Ive been to real life autism and schizophrenia support groups and dont quite fit either one but have met a few people online with similar diagnosis.
"Schizotypal autism" is simply a dual diagnosis of schizotypy and autism. The wiki page seems a bit inaccurate in saying there are only about 100 people with it. I think it is refering to people who were diagnosed with "mendelsohnns" which isnt a term that is normally used.
Much research has suggested that autism and schizophrenia are genetically linked, and even if they are not assuming each disorder were to be 1 in 100, that would estimate the chances of having both to be 1 in 10,000.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 3:46 pm

From what have read and observed autism is related to schizophrenia in the same way that autism is related to tooth decay. A person who is dxd with autism can also be dxd with having tooth decay. The two conditions can be "comorbid". But the two are not really "related".

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 3:53 pm

I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia form disorder when I was around 13. Or maybe is was accurate and I stopped having schizophrenia symptoms. Although now that I'm more educated about OCD that's what it really felt like - intrusive thoughts that I knew couldn't be real but they wouldn't stop, and I kept obsessing and doing weird things to make them stop. They went away eventually as well. I don't know, everything seemed to happen when I turned 12 and then it was my brain that really went haywire and not my hormones. :?

But schizophrenia and OCD are illnesses while autism is not. But being a female it's not surprising I was never diagnosed with Aspergers until I was an adult.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:06 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
But being a female it's not surprising I was never diagnosed with Aspergers until I was an adult.

I don't think Aspergers was even in diagnostic manuals till you were about 20ish