Overhearing Airplane Small Talk Is The Worst

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jperkinski
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2018, 10:44 am

I know that small talk can be an issue for people with ASD but does anybody else find overhearing small talk on an airplane or airport bar to be especially annoying?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 11:02 am

Most of the time for me. It's the noise of the plain itself that's more annoying than the people talking. I just use earplugs anyways.

Jperkinski
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2018, 11:55 am

Sometimes I like analyzing the plane sounds to understand what’s going on with the flight.

Something about the fake enthusiasm and interest of airplane/airport small talk is grating to me though.

I finally discovered good noise cancelling headphones and wish I had done it sooner.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:00 pm

I just don't like the sound of lots of people talking at the same time, full stop. My head just seems to fill up with disconnected syllables that don't join up into anything I can understand, and I don't like to feel that I'm eavesdropping by putting effort into trying to make more sense of it (like I would if it was a conversation I was trying to be part of.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:07 pm

Never noticed other people talking while I was on an airline.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

"How are the clouds looking on your side?"

"Really fluffy. How are they over there?"

"White. Very white."

"Nice."

"Yeah."

"The flight attendant's got a big butt."

"Yeah, definitely."

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:58 am

That may not be the worst. The Wright bros. were not sure if airplanes would ever carry passengers, but if they could, the people would be content to lay on the wings.
FWIW, I was never comfy on a Viscount, because the engine vibrations seemed to clash with other frequencies in the airframe. That wasn't auditory info.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:04 am

my worst flight was a 13.5 hour venture from istanbul to los angeles.

there were quite a few conversations but i understood none of them because they were all in turkish.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2018, 3:24 am

I usually am too lost in my own thoughts to notice the small talk of others, lol. Sometimes other people's conversations will throw me off when I'm in conversation though, just because it makes it harder to focus on the person talking to me. Really depends on the circumstance.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 9:26 am

When flying commercial airlines, I always bring my Bose noise canceling headphones and book first class. No one really bothers me then and I can relax. Private is far superior, no BS small talk to be had.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 3:52 pm

If you can find earphones able to reproduce the volume inside a Beaver or Super Cub for your flight, you won't hear much in the airport afterwards either.
My general feelings about transportation were set when I climbed into the back of a farm truck instead of walking. Maybe you could keep a running tally of how many days of walking or paddling you are saving, and talk of nothing else if someone wants conversation.

Last edited by Dear_one on 29 Jan 2018, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 3:59 pm

SH90 wrote:
When flying commercial airlines, I always bring my Bose noise canceling headphones and book first class. No one really bothers me then and I can relax. Private is far superior, no BS small talk to be had.

on what occasions does his majesty fly private? :P

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

The last time I was on a plane, I heard a guy talking to his buddy about his love life. I was trying not to listen.

AnnaOMalley
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2018, 9:15 am

I can’t stand airplanes in general, to be honest. They have a really bizarre scent to them, and I feel like my ears are going to pop the whole time. I prefer driving when possible.

Disconaut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2018, 10:45 am

I only like it if its something dramatic or otherwise interesting. Eavesdropping on people's drama is fun :twisted:

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 11:05 am

I hate airplanes, I hate flying, sooooooo much.

My worse flight was an Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Hanoi. They pulled down a huge screen (like a projector screen) at the front of the plane and showed a russian film out loud to the whole plane about a little boy who incessantly played the drums. When it finished they just stuck the same film back on again. The whole aircraft was full of people smoking. My chair didn't stay upright and crashed into the lap of the person behind me. And... as we landed into a lighting storm in Hanoi, the air stewardess came back out with some personal affects she had kept safe during the flight - three darts, a knife and a handgun, which she handed back out to the owners as the plane was about to land.