Does everyone with Asperger's get meltdowns?

Page 6 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2014, 4:03 pm

I haven't had a meltdown since I hit my teens, though sometimes on rare occasions if I'm angry at myself I'll hit myself in the face or bang my head against things, I don't lose control though like I did in my preteen years. Now when something bad happens, I'll usually just feel quietly shocked and numb.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 2:49 am

I'm not sure but I have a few times. More so as a kid. shutdowns are more common now.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 3:02 am

I didn't have any for many years, then stress hit, my life felt completely out of control and they are back. I can't wait to move or for things to change. I want the same peace I had over 16 years ago again.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Nov 2015, 9:12 pm

I had them aLOT as a kid & teen & still somewhat regularly with my parents till my mid 20s. I don't really get them nowadays that I'm living with my girlfriend who's also on the spectrum. My parents really stressed me out & my girlfriend even noticed how they don't understand me & criticize little things about me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:14 pm

Not anymore... instead, I have shutdowns...

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2018, 10:18 pm

I get meltdowns sometimes. I used to get them a lot more when I was little. Now I can express myself better. Being "on" socializing with people for too long will cause a meltdown. I basically cry uncontrollably.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Sep 2018, 12:11 am

I had screaming-meemies from childhood to high school, then silent rage until first job, then simmering hatred until retirement. No meltdowns since retirement. The difference, I think, is the level of conformity imposed on me, without training. Well, Mom spent a lot of time training me so I could pass for 'normal.' I got all my jobs and independence that way, but I faked it all. Now I'm an eccentric little old lady doing as I please - and nobody minds! So I have no metdowns at all any more. Don't miss them either.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 6:09 am

Even at 43 years of age I still have meltdowns. I tend to cry a great deal as well about the usual Autistic sensory overload issues. On the whole I would say I'm extremely emotional and perhaps unusual as Apies go. But I've been assessed that my particular spectrum of Asperger's Syndrome is somewhat severe.

My childhood was particularly violent, hateful and fearful and I've been sexually abused twice and I've endured extensive physical abuse as well.

I also have 5 other neuroses to deal with so my brain chemistry can be excruciating to deal with and I reach overload many times throughout the day.

Some days I wonder what's holding me together...

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 6:15 am

Jory wrote:
I get them, but I'm so good at hiding them that it's rare for anyone to even notice them. It's like containing a nuclear explosion inside a submarine.

A very apt analogy my friend. Well put.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

youcameandchanged
Raven
Raven

KrakenAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2018, 8:05 am

Meltdown... last one was 5 years ago! As for shutdowns, 2-3 per year. When a lurking shutdowns starts to show it's signs, I isolate myself, let it run it's course, and recuperate. My wife knows the drill, and the rest on my family just thinks I'm weird but tolerate my quirkiness.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2018, 9:07 am

When I feel too anxious, and I can't escape anywhere, I can meltdown, it can also be a result of trying to act normally for a long time and then you can't anymore. Sensory stuff, noise especially can be the breaking point aswell.
Results in crying, screaming, throwing things, saying really viscious things, sometimes self-harm. I try to go for a long walk nowadays if I feel one coming up. In my teens I didn't know what was wrong with me feeling so angry at times, I self-harmed then, or listened aggressive music for hours.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 9:27 am

I've had meltdowns during times of extreme stress during scenarios which are very unpleasant be it, trying to maintain a sense of financial stability with all the stupid crap that is absurdly priced to situations that I though had been resolved previously, only to find such responsible parties failed to keep to the terms of their contractual obligations.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 3:19 pm

30.05.2018 I behaved aggressively-like in an institution associated with job. I beat myself in head and had aggressive tone of voice. The person who was near me could be somewhat frightening. I was frustrated because I was not able to participate in employee training for people with the certificate of disability due to being in another project which helps people with disabilities. Was it a meltdown?

That year I quite often beat my (fore)head by hand when I was angry or frustrated, sometimes when other person was near me. I did not have that sort of behavior earlier.

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2018, 4:52 pm

Of course not. We’re not all the same. I’ve definitely had meltdowns both as a child and as a teenager. I am now an adult and my meltdowns have a evolved into something different, but I definitely still get them. I’m a teacher and back when I was a volunteer, I worked with a grade one student whom I’ll call James. James was a VERY “high-functioning” aspie. Never had a single meltdown. He was never violent or disruptive or uncomfortably “weird.” He was socially awkward but in a harmless, sweet way. He had obsessions and didn’t like being touched. But he was honestly every teacher’s dream child. On the other hand, I also worked with an aspie kid whom I’ll call Kevin. He definitely had meltdowns and could be physically violent with his classmates. The principal wanted to expel him.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 5:16 pm

I've never had a "meltdown". My instinct is that the association between autism and "meltdowns" is just an excuse used by parents to dignify the behavioural problems of their children with something respectable sounding. The same is true of ADHD.