Velociraptor

26 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm

Verbal score: 125
Perceptual reasoning: 105
Working memory: 97
Processing speed: 102
Full scale IQ: 110
GAI: 117

Some of the results don't match up with my everyday experience (I scored in the impaired range on the free sorting and sort recognition tasks [.4 percentile], for example). I think it's mostly accurate, though. I'm just relieved that it's over, to be honest. The testing was brutal. Based on my own estimation of my performance, I thought that the results would indicate that I was overall impaired.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 1:15 pm

AceofPens wrote:

Some of the results don't match up with my everyday experience (I scored in the impaired range on the free sorting and sort recognition tasks [.4 percentile], for example). I think it's mostly accurate, though. I'm just relieved that it's over, to be honest. The testing was brutal. Based on my own estimation of my performance, I thought that the results would indicate that I was overall impaired.

None of those are bad scores in the grand scheme of things, so I wouldn't worry about it; even the 97 is only very marginally below the overall average.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 2:35 pm

Now two thirds of people who voted in the poll had VIQ at least 10 points higher than PIQ. I think that VIQ>>PIQ may be more common in individuals with aucorigia than PIQ>>VIQ, but the frequency of PIQ>>VIQ may be (or even appears to be) also larger in individuals with ASD and similar disorders.

I wonder if I have NVLD. One person concluded that I don't have NVLD or have just a very mild form of it. My Block Design result was good, but I read about individual with obvious NVLD who had rather high Block Design result and other PIQ subscales were lower in the case of that person.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm

My dad had me tested when I was 6, it was high. I only heard one number. But I could not be a MENSA member like my niece, sisters and dad by 3 points.

1994 After my head injury the damage was tested and I dropped to a : 71!

2005 During the divorce my X and I had some enforced testing including IQ : 178

What has my IQ ever done for me? other than allowing my learning ability to graduate at age 16? not a dem thing

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 1:37 pm

Half of poll participants have VIQ at least 20 points higher than PIQ. High VIQ tends to be more associated with aucorigia than high PIQ, although PIQ>>VIQ split appears to occur more commonly in individuals with ASD than in general population.

I read that VIQ>PIQ by at least 15 points can be associated with clumsiness, while PIQ>VIQ higher by at least 15 points is not associated with clumsiness.

Here I found something interesting about VIQ and PIQ results: https://books.google.pl/books?id=cFXaBw ... 15&f=false

Here is written that Wechsler and Jaros (1965), in a study of WISC scores of 100 schizophrenic boys aged 8 to 12 with IQ from 80 to 120, found verbal IQ at least 16 points higher than performance IQ in 15% of the group, but only in 2% of control group matched for age and IQ.
Halpern (1964) reported on a ten-year study of one schizophrenic boy who had VIQ 114 and PIQ 74 (WISC test, boy was 14 years old).

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2018, 6:41 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
AceofPens wrote:

None of those are bad scores in the grand scheme of things, so I wouldn't worry about it; even the 97 is only very marginally below the overall average.

Oh, the results don't worry me. It was during the waiting period after testing that I was anxious. I have some pretty bad weaknesses in some areas, like my attention span, that I thought would skew the entire report. I imagined the cognitive testing would mess up my diagnostic results (I had already been diagnosed with autism and feared receiving a contradictory second opinion). I should've trusted the doctors more, though. They recognized both autism and a comorbid developmental/learning disorder. In hindsight, the IQ results mostly just reaffirmed what I already knew - I have some significant weaknesses but also considerable strengths, and I'm comfortable with that.

frink
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2018, 6:46 pm

Verbal Comprehension: 107
Perceptual Reasoning: 129
Working Memory: 119
Processing Speed: 117
Full-Scale: 122

My performance might have been higher if I had taken my ADHD medication and gotten better sleep the night before.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2018, 6:51 pm

My VIQ was 17 points higher than my PIQ. That's how I knew I truly did have NVLD. (The diagnosis was "learning disorder, NOS", but the neuropsychologist who administered the IQ test said it would be NVLD if that were a DSM code.) Furthermore, there was a 35-point difference between my Vocabulary subscore and my Perceptual Organization subscore.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

The clumsiness VIQ<PIQ link is interesting.My stepdaughter says I'm the clumsiest person she has known. I was never told the result of the only official IQ test I took. I have however done a whole host of online non-verbal tests. I average about 72(3rd percentile). If we allow,for argument's sake, that online tests tend to overestimate IQ then my PIQ may actually be even lower.

My pdocs see me as highly/very intelligent.That obviously doesn't come from my non-verbal/PIQ . That suggests my VIQ is considerably higher.

For me VIQ may be 3-4 SD or more higher than PIQ

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 7:17 pm

I never received a score for VIQ or PIQ. Instead, I received the below. Is there a way to calculate the VIQ an PIQ from these?

- Verbal Comprehension 114
-- Similarities 12
-- Vocabulary 13
-- Information 13

- Working Memory 122
-- Digit Span 11
-- Arithmetic 17

-Perceptual Reasoning 123
-- Block Design 12
-- Matrix Reasoning 16
-- Visual Puzzles 14

-Processing Speed 114
-- Symbol Search 12
-- Coding 13

-FSIQ = 123

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 3:47 pm

Maybe there is a possibility to calculate (at least approximated) values of VIQ or PIQ from subscores which you received.

12 "large" points is about 110 IQ, 13 - 115 IQ, 11 - 105 IQ, 17 - 135 IQ, 16 - 130 IQ, 14 - 120 IQ.

Verbal Comprehension (Similarities, Information, Vocabluary) and Arithmetic and Digit Span (Working Memory in your results) are subscales of VIQ, while Perceptual Reasoning (Block Design, Matrix Reasoning, Visual Puzzles) and Processing Speech (Symbol Search, Coding) are subscales of PIQ.
Your VIQ and PIQ appear to not differ so much from each other, they appear to be about 118 - 119 (when we count arithmetic means of Verbal Comprehension and Working Memory as VIQ and of Perceptual Reasoning and Processing Speed as PIQ), but in fact they should be about 4 - 6 points larger because your FSIQ is 123.

I also had relatively large gap between Digit Span (11) and Arithmetic (18). Interesting. You had higher PIQ than I (104), but your Block Design result was "just" 12 while I had 14.

Hypercoaster wrote:
My VIQ was 17 points higher than my PIQ. That's how I knew I truly did have NVLD. (The diagnosis was "learning disorder, NOS", but the neuropsychologist who administered the IQ test said it would be NVLD if that were a DSM code.) Furthermore, there was a 35-point difference between my Vocabulary subscore and my Perceptual Organization subscore.

If I remembered it well, my Perceptual Organization Index (100) was 25 points lower than Verbal Comprehension Index (125). In Vocabulary I scored quite significantly weaker (14) than in Information (17). In Picture Completion I scored 8 "large" points poorer (9) than in Information which means difference of about 40 points in IQ. My VIQ was 22 points higher than PIQ, so I had 5 points larger VIQ - PIQ gap than you. I am not certain if I have NVLD at all. I think that quite big gap between Information and Picture Completion (and also Object Assembly (9)) - about 2,5 SD - might be a symptom of NVLD in my case.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 8:22 pm

nca14 wrote:
Maybe there is a possibility to calculate (at least approximated) values of VIQ or PIQ from subscores which you received.

Thanks for the explanation. I found it quite invaluable.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 9:09 pm

I found such a sentence: "Asperger (in Van Krevelen and Kuipers, 1962) spoke of a lack of "good spatial orientation" in his latency aged subjects with "autistic psychopathy"". So maybe some of Asperger's patients with "autistic psychopathy" would be diagnosed with NVLD instead of PDD or ASD? I consider NVLD with social difficulties as something which should be categorised in the same subcategory of developmental disorder with ASD, not with dyslexia.

colossalfailure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm

Never tested but I assume that Im on the lower iq side, I dont think Im smart

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2019, 4:18 pm

Apparently when I was very young I had a huge gap between my verbal and performance IQ. With my PIQ being barely 100 and my VIQ almost 130. This was at a very young age though so I don’t know if this has changed. I’ve seen posts that say this automatically implies NLD but I don’t fit the academic profile for this at all, actually it’s almost the opposite. I am pretty good with words but my strengths were always in the math and science area. I actually have two engineering degrees and went through college calculus, physics, chemistry, all that. This is supposed to be almost impossible for people with NLD due the abstract reasoning required. I’ve also always been good at building 3D models and have even worked in jobs where this is required. I’m also pretty good with maps (for a woman at least. Lol)

I’m wondering if this initial IQ was possibly a mis-measurement. I know online tests aren’t always 100% accurate but my scores are always much closer when I take those. It seems odd that I would have NLD but I do suspect AS, so maybe that was somehow reflected in my scores as a child?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 4:26 pm

From 5th grade:

Verbal IQ: 92
Performance IQ: 107
Fullscale IQ: 99

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.