Diagnosed Fictional Characters With Autism/Aspergers

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

INDIE COMICS SPOTLIGHT: LION FORGE'S CREATORS WANTED A REFLECTION OF A WORLD AROUND THEM THAT NO ONE WOULD SEE

Quote:
This month Indie Comic Spotlight is dedicated to African-American creators and publishers in the indie comic book space in honor of Black History Month.

You've delved into some topics that a lot of comics don't. Summit's main character has Aspergers and Supreme features a teen superhero with Down syndrome. Did you set out to find those stories or have those stories come to you to via the writers?

Steward: That particular book was the one I kind of came up with creatively, but from my execution standpoint we had to get the appropriate people on board. So, we found David Walker who had experience working with kids with Down syndrome and we partnered with NDSS. My desire as a creative was to put that out there but I personally do charity work and I have experienced working with people with disabilities. It was very important to make sure that the pictorial was correct. Because again being African-American I've seen even well-intentioned people kind of fall flat when with execution. So, I want to make sure that didn't happen either.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2019, 1:44 am

Archie Comics’ Nancy Silberkleit Celebrates World Autism Awareness Day with New Character Scarlet

Quote:
Co-CEO Nancy Silberkleit is excited for the newest character in Riverdale, Scarlet. She says in an email:

“Archie and friends have been the example to folks around the globe on how all the characters — and new character Scarlet — are comfortable in their own skin. Each character has entered our hearts with their steadfast examples on making it work… inclusion and friendship! We need to support and cultivate kindness and inclusion for all!”
Late last year Scarlet made her debut in her own story called Kindness Works. Written by Ray Felix and penciled by Fernando Ruiz, the comic shows readers how to treat those who express themselves in a different way, as well as how to positively include everyone in a group setting.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 2:03 pm

Kacper from "The Colors of Happyness", a Polish TV show, he's an aspie :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 5:27 am

Entrapa from the animated TV series ‘She-Ra Princess of Power’

Noelle Stevenson said:
“Yes, we wrote her that way. One of our crewmembers was on the spectrum and related to her specifically, and had a huge part in shaping her story and character!“

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2020, 11:45 am

I don't think it has been mentioned yet...but Sherlock Holmes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:53 am

eyelessshiver wrote:

I have not seen where anybody writing a Holmes character has explicitly stated that they wrote Holmes to be autistic. Unless that has happened Sherlock Holmes is widely suspected of being autistic.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
eyelessshiver wrote:

I have not seen where anybody writing a Holmes character has explicitly stated that they wrote Holmes to be autistic. Unless that has happened Sherlock Holmes is widely suspected of being autistic.

Well...the Holmes character doesn't really change per se among its variations. It's all based on the same character. And the origin of the character precedes autism as a diagnosis. But, I see what you mean, and why he hasn't been mentioned (I forgot this was only for diagnosed). So...nevermind. :D

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 12:18 pm

I think Spencer Reid, the Polymathic Pretty Boy from "Criminal Minds" is supposed to be Aspie. Another character suggested it in the series. FWIW Matthew Gubler, who plays him, once said that “He's an eccentric genius, with hints of schizophrenia and minor autism".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 5:54 pm

eyelessshiver wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
eyelessshiver wrote:

Well...the Holmes character doesn't really change per se among its variations. It's all based on the same character. And the origin of the character precedes autism as a diagnosis. But, I see what you mean, and why he hasn't been mentioned (I forgot this was only for diagnosed). So...nevermind. :D

In your defense nobody mentioned in this thread is diagnosed because fictional characters cannot be diagnosed. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 1:55 am

Theo Carver’ from the American soap opera ‘Days of Our Lives’
On the show in 2008 he was diagnosed at age 3. At the time he was portrayed by Terrell Ransom Jr. NBC partnered with Autism Speaks in creating the character. Former NBC chairmen Bob Wright was the head of Autism Speaks at the time. In 2019 actor Kyler Pettis won a Daytime Emmy for his portrayal of Theo. Actor Cameron Johnson will portray the character starting later this fall.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2020, 5:17 am

I had so far made two videos each discussing three fictional characters with autism

I discuss in this video content Sam Gardner "Atypical" (Netflix), Julia "Sesame Street and Raymond Babbit "Rainman" (Film of 1988).

This time round I discuss another three fictional autistic characters Sheldon Cooper "The Big Bang Theory", Arnie Grape "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" (Film of 1993) and Spock (Star Trek).

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 9:12 am

Aspie With Attitude wrote:
I had so far made two videos each discussing three fictional characters with autism

I discuss in this video content Sam Gardner "Atypical" (Netflix), Julia "Sesame Street and Raymond Babbit "Rainman" (Film of 1988).

This time round I discuss another three fictional autistic characters Sheldon Cooper "The Big Bang Theory", Arnie Grape "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" (Film of 1993) and Spock (Star Trek).

Reminder this thread is meant to be for “diagnosed” fictional characters. While no fictional character can be literally diagnosed the character should be described as autistic in the show or movie, book etc, as autistic, or the writers or the actor playing the character has said the character is on the spectrum. The characters in the first video meet those guidelines, those in the second video do not meet those guidelines. They are widely speculated to be autustic and belong in this thread.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2020, 8:07 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
The kid in the Netflix show Touch.

Sam Gardner in Atypical
Joe Hughes in the A Word
Raymond Babbitt in Rain Man
Max Braverman in Parenthood
Simon Lynch in Mercury Rising
Shaun Murphy in The Good Doctor
Ben in Ben X
Linda Freeman in Snow Cake
Donald Morton and Isabelle Sorenson in Mozart and the Whale
Max Horovitz in Mary and Max
Adam Raki in Adam
Rizwan Khan in My Name Is Khan
Luke, Zack in The Story of Luke
Christian Wolff in The Accountant

hariboci
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2020, 11:24 am

Not officially as it is not spoken out loudly, but
- Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I refer to the original Swedish movie, I'm not sure how much they altered the American one)
- Maria in For Body and Soul, a Hungarian movie. They did a thorough research on female autism, I watched it between my 2 diagnosis assessments and literally cried over everything she did. Available on Netflix.